What watch do you wear?

Associate
I agree, a very grey area, as im 50/50, for and against your argument. Half of me thinks its blatantly a copy without the branding, but then the other half of me thinks its just a very similar design made by another company.

Is my seiko above a fake of the real deal below?

The question comes down to where do you draw the line, in my opinion that line is when a homage/fake/copy is being sold as something its not.

Thank you :D

The seiko along with loads of other brands divers takes some design cues, but its not trying to be identical. Different size, hands, bezel, batons, day date etc etc. if I can see the manufacturer is trying to forge their own design I'm ok with it, even if maybe the design aesthetic is similar, but if all they've tried to do is copy someone else's work and stick their own name on it then I don't think the brand is any better than a faker tbh.

Also helps that seiko are as iconic as rolex in my view. Historic watch maker.

Soldato
The seiko along with loads of other brands divers takes some design cues, but its not trying to be identical. Different size, hands, bezel, batons, day date etc etc. if I can see the manufacturer is trying to forge their own design I'm ok with it, even if maybe the design aesthetic is similar, but if all they've tried to do is copy someone else's work and stick their own name on it then I don't think the brand is any better than a faker tbh.

Also helps that seiko are as iconic as rolex in my view. Historic watch maker.

Hmph, agreed i guess :p

IWC Topgun Chronograph = £8000
Parnis Topgun Chronograph = £65

Lovely watch for the money, "fake" or not :p

Transmission breaker
Don
So last night I constructed my first watch. It was actually someone else's failed attempt at home building, it would stop when turned upside down. Sold as spares, but I managed to work out the dial was moving when inverted. This was halting the second hand and the movement. This was because one of the dial locating pins was damaged. I fixed this to allow me to close up the watch.

prototype1.jpg

prototype2.jpg

Pic during the work..
prototype3.jpg

not really happy with the design yet, dont like tye bezel or crown and need to add my own logo to the face, but this was more about learning than anything else. I think I will use a different face for the final watch

there is a slight problem with the movement too, the detent screw seems it will not screw back down, so the time adjust is not working. I am quite pleased in the way, as I can start taking apart the movemen to try and work out what is causing the issue :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Could anyone recommend any online places that sell parts to put together watches and the tools necessary please. I think Skidder linked to SK watch parts a while back but nearly all the movements seem to be out of stock.

Man of Honour
I usually get movements from ebay seller b_line55cc

I have had a couple of unitas and three etas from them, all no problem.

edit, just checked and they have no listings! normally a very complete shop, sorry

cousins are good for parts and tools

o frei in the US

Last edited:
Soldato
Interesting reading up on the parnis watches. Look quite good value if you accept them for what they are but then when you consider you can get Seiko and Orient for the same or less money they seem pointless unless you want a replica.

That top gun is nice enough though. Anyway my ray raven is tracked at my local depot so should be here Monday.

Soldato
The parnis are interesting. Experiences of them can be like chalk and cheese though. There's a few different factories that produce them with varying degrees of QC.

The range of styles are huge - I'm tempted to give one a go. A few resellers even offer sapphire glass as an upgrade.

Soldato
So last night I constructed my first watch. It was actually someone else's failed attempt at home building, it would stop when turned upside down. Sold as spares, but I managed to work out the dial was moving when inverted. This was halting the second hand and the movement. This was because one of the dial locating pins was damaged. I fixed this to allow me to close up the watch.

http://maltopia

Pic during the work..
[IMG]http://maltopia.co.G]

not really happy with the design yet, dont like tye bezel or crown and need to add my own logo to the face, but this was more about learning than anything else. I think I will use a different face for the final watch

there is a slight problem with the movement too, the detent screw seems it will not screw back down, so the time adjust is not working. I am quite pleased in the way, as I can start taking apart the movemen to try and work out what is causing the issue :)[/QUOTE]

When you say construct, what do you mean? I'm really intrigued by this myself, but am wondering how much you bought/started with/created yourself?

kd

Soldato
The parnis are interesting. Experiences of them can be like chalk and cheese though. There's a few different factories that produce them with varying degrees of QC.

The range of styles are huge - I'm tempted to give one a go. A few resellers even offer sapphire glass as an upgrade.

I researched which ebay seller to purchase from before going ahead. Like you said the quality can differ from factory to factory. My topgun above has sapphire crystal and is AR coated, which was a nice surprise as i wasn't aware before buying it!

Soldato
When you say construct, what do you mean? I'm really intrigued by this myself, but am wondering how much you bought/started with/created yourself?

kd

I've just ordered all the parts to put together an auto watch based on a Chinese version of the ETA 2824 for about £200. Thats case with sapphire crystal, movement, dial, hands and leather strap.

On top of that there's tools but you can pay what you like for that dependant on quality. Skidders links above for cost.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Noticed a few scuffs where the end links on the HydroConquest had been rubbing on the watch case where it fits in over time so brushed those up and did a final finisher as well on all the brushed bits. Has a deeper gleam to the finish now too which is nice :)

Edit*
Now you can see the brushed finish much better:
nato_car_2.jpg

Last edited:

Pug

Pug

Soldato
So upon seeing one in this thread i bought a black citizen nighthawk as a daily wearer.

However, the lume(?) is terrible. Could it be that the lume has deteriorated due to being in a display cabinet in front of lights for all it's life?

When i go to bed i check my watch in the dark room after 30mins or so (for my eyes to adjust) and the dial is barely visible, and the hands non-existant.

Is it poor or broken? Lovely watch otherwise.

Soldato
So upon seeing one in this thread i bought a black citizen nighthawk as a daily wearer.

However, the lume(?) is terrible. Could it be that the lume has deteriorated due to being in a display cabinet in front of lights for all it's life?

When i go to bed i check my watch in the dark room after 30mins or so (for my eyes to adjust) and the dial is barely visible, and the hands non-existant.

Is it poor or broken? Lovely watch otherwise.

The brightness and longevity of lume does diminish over time as it's exposed to light, but in this case I suspect that you might have just been unlucky. I've seen lume perform differently on the same watch, it can come down to how much lume was applied and the batch.

My Nighthawk is pretty good! One thing to remember is that the lume on the Nighthawk is blue, green lume will appear brighter as our eyes are more sensitive to the colour green. My Orange Monster and 007 have the best lume out of all my collection.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom