What watch do you wear?

Soldato
argh made a post and had some weird timeout error... so typing it again....

damn you watch thread! you've roped me in! with thanks to 2stepsteve.......

Muhahah :D ;) Enjoy.

The collection is growing rapidly. It takes me a while to choose what to wear at the start of the day, sometimes I'll even change up half way through the day. :D

WatchboxFeb2014.jpg

At this rate i'll be needing another watchbox sooner or later. :o

Associate
It's arrived in Swindon at 6:32 this morning!!!

Hopefully it'll be delivered today as I'm home!! :)

******Edit*******

Eeeeep!! It Has Arrived!!!!!

GtJubol.jpg
A Very Unassuming Box!

tLAxMm3.jpg
Open it up! :cool:

TJEAkq7.jpg
It's HUGE! (only 45mm incl Crown, but bigger than any other watch I have!!)

vyKdkr2.jpg
I Like a Nice Rear!! ;)

ahSLJ4A.jpg
Thank God I have Fat Wrists!! :D
Plus as it's 180g... YES! I am wresting my arm on the box! (again heavier than any other watch I own!)

Well worth the £85 (£83 at the moment! :mad: ) I paid! I'd even pay the full RRP of £177 :cool:

Link to shop? Thanks

Associate
Could someone send me some links to some decent reading on different types of movement and the benefits and downsides to each. Not entirely sure about automatic vs quartz either.

I am in the market for a nice watch with clean lines and not looking too busy. At the moment I am deliberating between the following makes:
IWC Portuguese
Tag Heuer Carerra
Hamilton jazzmaster

The price differential is jaw dropping, I can afford whatever I want but I want out understand what I am paying for. I absolutely hate the idea of buying something that I later decide that I had wished that I sond a little bit more.

Associate
Oh also, is there really a downside to buying watches second hand? Would happily consider a second hand watch on the assumption that it should last a fair while. If anyone could suggest some reputable places in London (anywhere near bank would be good) that I could have a look I would appreciate it.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I think this watch is beautiful. Really really like it but worried about buying something that is going to stop working in five years!

Sorry for the peace meal posts!

It won't stop working in 5 years, no half decent watch will suddenly stop unless there's been some damage. Perhaps you're worrying too much.

If you're spending good coin on a watch then it makes sense to get an automatic and not a quartz. You need to change the batteries with a quartz after several years, depends on the watch though and they don't have that specialness of being purely mechanical [+ the seconds hand won't sweep smoothly around the dial.

Movement wise it's much of a muchness. Some people only buy watches with in house movements for heritage purposes whilst others think that's a bit of a non issue. Truth is genuine modern movements are as accurate and reliable as each other whether they're Swiss or Japanese or whatever.

You get them serviced once they start to lose time by an unacceptable amount. The price for servicing depends on movement complexity and where you get it done.

Associate
Thanks for the comments mrk and Raymond!

Will have a think. At the moment I'm leaning towards the hamilton, for some reason ll of the web pages I hVe open seem to be on the iwc though....arghhh indecision

Associate
After spending two weeks trying to find someone local to demagnetize my seiko skx007 (and being met by mostly blank stares), I bit the bullet and ordered one of these little blue boxes of amazon.

58TlKV7.jpg

Five minutes and several passes later, my skx now keeps time! :D

Whilst magnetized it was anything up to 15 minutes fast a day. Now after two hours it hasn't gained or lost anything (yet). All I need to do now is keep an eye on it for the next couple of days, fingers crossed.

Soldato
After spending two weeks trying to find someone local to demagnetize my seiko skx007 (and being met by mostly blank stares), I bit the bullet and ordered one of these little blue boxes of amazon.

Five minutes and several passes later, my skx now keeps time! :D

Whilst magnetized it was anything up to 15 minutes fast a day. Now after two hours it hasn't gained or lost anything (yet). All I need to do now is keep an eye on it for the next couple of days, fingers crossed.

Nice work. How did you manage to magnetise it? Are you Magneto?

Associate
Muhahah :D ;) Enjoy.

The collection is growing rapidly. It takes me a while to choose what to wear at the start of the day, sometimes I'll even change up half way through the day. :D

WatchboxFeb2014.jpg

At this rate i'll be needing another watchbox sooner or later. :o

Nice collection. I've got a few not worth posting, but would love to collect some like this. A specific watch can make or break an outfit.

Associate
Thanks gitbags

Haha sounds sarcastic doesn't it? "Thanks gitbags".
No worries :)

Nice work. How did you manage to magnetise it? Are you Magneto?
I wish I could say I was.
I think I managed it when I was dismantling a gambler at work, I must have been too close to one of the speaker magnets. 5 hrs and its gained almost .5 of a second, I'm well chuffed.

Associate
My Steinhart Ocean One arrived today to fill the space left by my now sold submariner. I know it isn't the same - but it's heavy and tells the time and I'm not paranoid of wearing this on a night out :p

Have to say I am properly impressed by this watch. It really is a beautiful thing. :D

Back
Top Bottom