What watch do you wear?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Yeah mine is the original HC and if I had a choice I'd opt for a dial with no date window as it's a bit pointless especially on a dive watch imo!

Saying that, the non facelift dial suited the date window better. It's one of the criticisms of the new design on Longines forums.

studio.jpg

Yeah, I know its not faulty but I got it off the rainforest for very little. Turns out the seller was in Singapore. First on they sent totally broke within 6 weeks. I had to pay to send it back, not cheap. This relacement gains far to much time imo. I questioned the seller, and they said it was within tolerances etc but could be tweaked by them or another watch shop. The amount the P&P costs to get it to them and back it just wasnt worth the hassle.

Oh was it from Creation? Mine was too and Seiko UK honoured the warranty so it didn't cost anything really. They're quite good with support like that.

Last edited:

beh

beh

Associate
That's just laziness on the maker's part fitting and calibrating the movement on their casing. My Longines uses the same movement and gains 2 to 4 seconds a day which is well within cosc. Likewise others online with the same watch or same movement on other watches have similar results
How is it laziness? Comparing it to a Longines isn't a fair comparison when the quality of the movements will be very different.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Look around online, big variation in accuracy reported between the same models so it's a qc thing, could call it laziness to keep things low cost which is fair enough as customers get a good deal out of it.

If they are not using fake movements then the genuine components will be the same as in other watches using the same movement, Longines or otherwise. Why would it be different?

beh

beh

Associate
it's a qc thing ... to keep things low cost
QC is the only thing putting me off getting something with a Chinese movement. Will be cool when they get it sorted.
If they are not using fake movements then the genuine components will be the same as in other watches using the same movement, Longines or otherwise. Why would it be different?
As Raymond posted, different grades of the same movement using better materials (balance wheel, hairspring, shock protection, etc), can generally be regulated to be a bit more accurate.

Fake is too strong a word, although no doubt there's dishonest sellers and some do get used in fake watches. The patents are expired, copies are perfectly legit.

Permabanned
Yeah, you did - I went out on a whim that something must have been shorting and rebuilt the whole thing and that sorted things out! You're welcome, you left a positive trust message too which was good of you. :)

That was years ago :eek:

But nice one dude :)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
QC is the only thing putting me off getting something with a Chinese movement. Will be cool when they get it sorted.

As Raymond posted, different grades of the same movement using better materials (balance wheel, hairspring, shock protection, etc), can generally be regulated to be a bit more accurate.

Fake is too strong a word, although no doubt there's dishonest sellers and some do get used in fake watches. The patents are expired, copies are perfectly legit.

Hmm that does make sense, we already see different grades of the same components in many other industries as well from PC components to LED torch emitters.

Ah well, given the price of those watches I guess there's little to complain about as they're otherwise built really well.

beh

beh

Associate
Hmm that does make sense, we already see different grades of the same components in many other industries as well from PC components to LED torch emitters.
Good thread that goes into a bit of detail on the different materials used and the potential effect on performance - http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/smoke-mirrors-part-1-eta-grades-explained-458060.html
Ah well, given the price of those watches I guess there's little to complain about as they're otherwise built really well.
Aye, and at some point it'll be hard to justify the premium price paid for "Swiss made".

Soldato
I really like the look of some of these watches. Unfortunately I have skinny girls wrists and thus most watches look ridiculous on me and I don't own one.

Back
Top Bottom