What watch do you wear?

Soldato
Over the weekend I've read a lot of reviews about the MC Diver vs the DSSD and spoken to several owners of both; I like the MC Diver but the DSSD is winning it.

DSSD's are IMHO non starters, now about to be discontinued, people or off loading them rapidly in favour of the new Sea-Dweller 4000, that was revealed at Basel,

this is the watch I would go for, first edition versions of this watch will be going for good money in ten years time, and has returned to the classic Rolex design.

vXiWyLi.jpg

link:http://www.rolex.com/watches/baselworld-2014/new-rolex-sea-dweller-4000.html

Transmission breaker
Don
I really like those, but always get put off by the terrible shaped crowns! I know why they are that shape, but its really not needed for a day to day watch :p
I think the next one I build will be a rep of that with a smaller flat crown :)

Soldato
Over the weekend I've read a lot of reviews about the MC Diver vs the DSSD and spoken to several owners of both; I like the MC Diver but the DSSD is winning it.

I really do like the DSSD, it is a watch I'd consider adding to my collection but being able to own a JLC is special, the other watch is just a Rolex at the end of the day.

Soldato
Well, I've got my name down for a new Seadweller, but the dealer doesn't take deposits and it's first come first serve with 2 people in front of me. If it wears bigger than a Sub then I'm keen as the Sub is too small for my wrists.

Soldato
I really do like the DSSD, it is a watch I'd consider adding to my collection but being able to own a JLC is special, the other watch is just a Rolex at the end of the day.

IMO Rolex are pretty special in their own right, even if they do churn out a lot of watches per year, they are very special to own and they have excellent customer service.

Don
Spoke to and met up with a couple of people over the weekend who own both and they said pretty much the opposite regarding movement quality and finish of the watch. I'm not in a position to comment about the JLC as they are a rarer piece, but everyone praises the build quality, finish and accuracy of the DSSD. .

and were these unbiased folks, Rolex are not in the same league as JLC

Soldato
and were these unbiased folks, Rolex are not in the same league as JLC

Well they own both so I wouldn't say there were.

Why aren't they? What do JLC do so differently to Rolex? They are certainly more exclusive, but currently Rolex quality control is excellent and the DSSD is so well made it's hard to fault it in that respect. I'm still drawn more to the JLC diver because it tugs at the heartstrings more, but 46mm is pretty big.

Last edited:
Associate
To be fair I don't like either the dssd or the jlc mc. The dssd is just too big for the bracelet. Its all out of proportion if they keep it in the lineup they should sort the bracelet and make a ti version to keep the weight down. Pipe dream. The jlc for me doesn't look like a jlc if that makes sense. I love some jlc models but not the diver tbh.

I'd definitely wait to see a new sea dweller in the flesh before choosing.

Soldato
To be fair I don't like either the dssd or the jlc mc. The dssd is just too big for the bracelet. Its all out of proportion if they keep it in the lineup they should sort the bracelet and make a ti version to keep the weight down. Pipe dream. The jlc for me doesn't look like a jlc if that makes sense. I love some jlc models but not the diver tbh.

I'd definitely wait to see a new sea dweller in the flesh before choosing.

Got any alternative recommendations?

Back
Top Bottom