What watch do you wear?

Soldato
Anyone have experience buying watches from the US and having them shipped over, in terms of duty? Is a site like DutyCalculator accurate?

Always wanted a Mont Blanc Timewalker Automatic Chrono and there is one on eBay (used) in pristine condition for 1/3 of the cost new and I am sorely tempted.

The watch in question:
B9ZNe70.jpg

Associate
That it is, as usual photo's don't do it justice! I ordered one based on the excellent praise i read online, i wasn't expecting it to be of the quality it is though! Really very good finish and feel and with a movement to match. Puts to shame a lot of watches with a 10x price tag.

Yup a superb watch that and easily the craftsmanship is up there with the big Swiss names. Before I got the Longines I was looking at the Ocean range but the ones I liked (especially the Vintage 1/GMT) was out of stock and wasn't due for a few more months and I just went for the HydroConquest instead the moment I saw it!

Ive got a Steinhart OVM as well and its a good watch (and great on a GGB nato). i think its way way off the mark to compare it to the big swiss names or watches 10x the price. its kinda seiko (not grand seiko) or christopher ward quality. well made obviously. will last well. decent eta movement. all good.... however the details.. the finish of the case, dial, hands, lume etc and the bracelet are nowhere near an Omega/Rolex/IWC... there just not.

13803475494_3525a43eee_z.jpg

Soldato
Ive got a Steinhart OVM as well and its a good watch (and great on a GGB nato). i think its way way off the mark to compare it to the big swiss names or watches 10x the price. its kinda seiko (not grand seiko) or christopher ward quality. well made obviously. will last well. decent eta movement. all good.... however the details.. the finish of the case, dial, hands, lume etc and the bracelet are nowhere near an Omega/Rolex/IWC... there just not.

13803475494_3525a43eee_z.jpg

I've had loooooots of seiko divers and it's far better finish than the majority, except for maybe some of the prospex range. I certainly wouldn't say there's any noticeable difference in quality between the OVM and an omega, bar the planet ocean. IWC are going on more than 20x the price and Rolex aren't far behind :p

Soldato
A few months ago I found my old Seiko in drawer - it was there because it kept stopping - on closer inspection I noticed a piece of crystal had broken off inside and was stopping hands (between 8 - 9 )- with nothing to lose I took it apart and removed bit of crystal put it back together and still didn't work so took apart again sprayed it with Brake cleaner - let it dry then put few drops of shaver oil in - still didn't work so back in drawer.

Yesterday looking for something I moved it and shook it and it worked - been working since yesterday and looks like it keeps good time - I tried to date it and could only come up with Jan 1972-82-or 92 - Sn is 217212 - Now I am sure this is first thing my wife bought me so I am going for 1972

409385915.jpg

I also found this watch - now this has been a real work horse - The original Seiko strap broke - It was plastic or rubber but they are not available anymore so I found a Casio strap which I had to trim the fixing hole to fit on watch - What I really need is a new softer rubber strap - So can anyone tell me where I can get one from - preferably the same width all round - this Casio one is a bit girly in size.

Have to say they don't look much but Kinetic is fine for working in and old one is a memory watch.

409385914.jpg

Sorry about picture being upside down/sideways

Dave

Associate
A few months ago I found my old Seiko in drawer - it was there because it kept stopping - on closer inspection I noticed a piece of crystal had broken off inside and was stopping hands (between 8 - 9 )- with nothing to lose I took it apart and removed bit of crystal put it back together and still didn't work so took apart again sprayed it with Brake cleaner - let it dry then put few drops of shaver oil in - still didn't work so back in drawer.

Yesterday looking for something I moved it and shook it and it worked - been working since yesterday and looks like it keeps good time - I tried to date it and could only come up with Jan 1972-82-or 92 - Sn is 217212 - Now I am sure this is first thing my wife bought me so I am going for 1972

409385915.jpg

I also found this watch - now this has been a real work horse - The original Seiko strap broke - It was plastic or rubber but they are not available anymore so I found a Casio strap which I had to trim the fixing hole to fit on watch - What I really need is a new softer rubber strap - So can anyone tell me where I can get one from - preferably the same width all round - this Casio one is a bit girly in size.

Have to say they don't look much but Kinetic is fine for working in and old one is a memory watch.

409385914.jpg

Sorry about picture being upside down/sideways

Dave
Here is my Kinetic. It's late 60's early 70's I think.

409386037.jpg

Caporegime
Well, my Longines Hydroconquest strap has broken AGAIN, same place as last time!

I really do nothing with it except put it on at the beginning of the day, and take it off at the end. That's it.

I had a look at the piece of metal that pins the clasp and I can see the reason... it is a solid metal pin/bar that for some inexplicable reason has a very thin midsection... meaning it is very prone to bending in the centre, which it appears to be doing over time with regular wear and tear. Why on earth anyone would design a pin like this is beyond me. :confused:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Can you post a picture? Your previous and now this repeat incident are the only two times I've read of this happening leading me to believe other factors may be attributing to this happening?

You didn't post a picture of it last time either so we were left pretty much in the dark...

Caporegime
Can you post a picture? Your previous and now this repeat incident are the only two times I've read of this happening leading me to believe other factors may be attributing to this happening?

You didn't post a picture of it last time either so we were left pretty much in the dark...

With pleasure...

You can see that the pin is bent. It started not sitting right on the clasp a couple of weeks ago and then progressed to where it came off.

I cant think of anything I am doing that can cause such damage. I don't do sports with it...

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Cool thanks for the pic!
That part must take considerable force to bend, certainly on mine I can't flex it much if at all at the top end and mine has been worn on and off on rotation with the Natos so gets a lot of movement and handling.

How tight do you wear the bracelet and how do you put it on and take it off at the clasp? Some force has caused it to bend at that position, this much is clear from that picture alone.

Caporegime
Force has undoubtedly done it, but the question is how much? Even were I to take the bracelet off "wrongly" then it would have to be in strong style right?

EDIT - Took it back to the jewellers where I bought it from, and the watch-smith agreed the middle of the pin was a weak point, and said he had already had two or three other people with the same watch and strap where it had broken, but not just from the PIN, but also the part that connects to it. He bent it back into shape and watch is now back on my wrist, but next time he will contact Longines to discuss a solution. :)

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Force has undoubtedly done it, but the question is how much? Even were I to take the bracelet off "wrongly" then it would have to be in strong style right?

EDIT - Took it back to the jewellers where I bought it from, and the watch-smith agreed the middle of the pin was a weak point, and said he had already had two or three other people with the same watch and strap where it had broken, but not just from the PIN, but also the part that connects to it. He bent it back into shape and watch is now back on my wrist, but next time he will contact Longines to discuss a solution. :)

Just seems very bizarre considering the gigantic HC thread on watchuseek and not something that's come up to be considered an actual problem. If so much force is being applied to that area then certainly the same would happen to many other watches worn by the same folks.

The bar in the middle is just a spring bar, it's not a weak point, there are two others at each end of the bracelet anyway!

20140509_181215_Richtone%28HDR%29.jpg

20140509_181358_Richtone%28HDR%29.jpg

20140509_181232_Richtone%28HDR%29.jpg

I don't know what kind of pressure/force you've had applied to yours at some point but it must be abnormal really :p

Chooser of poor weather meets
Soldato
Just ordered a new Seiko, tried it on in John Lewis and said go for it, but they were out of stock, luckily I checked online at home and saved £40 odd over what they wanted for it. Also tried on this Citizen which I loved, but didn't love it £200 more than the Seiko. Maybe next month...

Back
Top Bottom