What watch do you wear?

Associate
Everyone has a phase :p

At the end of it 1 nice watch is really all many will need and wear it into the ground then replace with another nice watch. Simple and effective and makes each new watch all the more exciting to look forward to.

If you buy a decent mechanical there's no such thing as "wear it into the ground". It'll outlast you, so if you fancy a change it's "add to the collection" time.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Have you seen mechanical watches worn by people? They certainly look like they've been worn to the ground (figure of speech) given how badly scuffed and scratched they are irregardless of their movement quality!

I suppose it's a testament to the mechanical quality and spec too.

Caporegime
Chaps, as a genuine question: what's the appeal of a watch? Especially such expensive ones? We have clocks on everything; phones, computers, bus stops, cars, you name it.

I just wonder what the appeal is?

If you have to ask something like that, then there is no point explaining.

Associate
Have you seen mechanical watches worn by people? They certainly look like they've been worn to the ground (figure of speech) given how badly scuffed and scratched they are irregardless of their movement quality!

I suppose it's a testament to the mechanical quality and spec too.

Yup, it's one reason I can't bring myself to splash on a Rolex - I'm not so rich that I can disregard wearing £6k on my wrist.

I'd wear it so little for fear of damage that it would spoil the ownership experience. That and the servicing costs of course :eek:

Caporegime
Think of it as designer hand bags.

Some women has to have them, some uses one from Primark. They all carry things and what is the difference at the end of the day? Showing off in which make themselves feel good.

Vanity is not a sin, we all do it one way or another in all aspects of life from the clothes that we wear, the car that we drive and the houses that we live in.

Associate
What is everyone's views on accurist? I know they are far from being a desirable brand but are they fairly reliable?

I have been looking for an affordable moonphase type watch and have come across the following perpetual calendar accurist:

http://www.nigelohara.com/accurist-gmt322-mens-greenwich-mean-time-watch-pid13854.html

I have also been looking at a rotary and stuhrling:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004KEL4...UTF8&colid=PRX3YV8KVKP2&coliid=I2XVXNX61UZM3F

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001GPON...UTF8&colid=PRX3YV8KVKP2&coliid=I2KY2SZ1NWBAUF

Not sure which one to go for. I prefer the looks of the Accurist.

Soldato
- Remember that most mechanical watches will easily outlast the owner and some not only keep their value but appreciate over time.

I paid £1750 for my 1991 Submariner Date in 2000, that included Rolex Service, sold by Rolex dealer with papers / box, watch was A1 condition.

Price not important as always wanted one however.

Last edited:
Soldato
This is why Rolex has become a bit "chavy", reserved for movie tie-ins and gangster rappers.

I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole.

Much better luxury watch brands out there like Patek Phillipe, Vacheron and Constantin, Audemars Piguet.

Then you have Jeager LeCoultre and A. Lange & Sohne.

Then you get down to bling bling gangster rapper and 007 50th Anniversary edition Rolex rubbish.

Its a shame Rolex has gone this way but oh well... I guess if you want to be a celebrity you buy Rolex....

Soldato
This is why Rolex has become a bit "chavy", reserved for movie tie-ins and gangster rappers.

I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole.

Much better luxury watch brands out there like Patek Phillipe, Vacheron and Constantin, Audemars Piguet.

Then you have Jeager LeCoultre and A. Lange & Sohne.

Then you get down to bling bling gangster rapper and 007 50th Anniversary edition Rolex rubbish.

Its a shame Rolex has gone this way but oh well... I guess if you want to be a celebrity you buy Rolex....

You do realise that you can buy jewelled watches of all the brands you listed above?

Soldato
You do realise that you can buy jewelled watches of all the brands you listed above?

I'm not talking specifically about the jewels, just the media train that is Rolex, some of their peices are ok, but I would rather go JLC.

They make some ok sports watches, some are hideous though. I would prefer another top notch manufacture so I would remain discrete.

Having said that, I am some way off owning anything decent myself.

Back
Top Bottom