What watch do you wear?

Mat

Mat

Soldato
I don't come in here very often, so apologies if this is a repost, but I've just watched this and found it mezmerising:

daz

daz

Soldato
^Exactly, that's what it comes down to right? No fun in going straight to step 10 without experiencing 1 through 9 first.

I think there's a lot of merit in this approach. :)

You at least you're putting in the effort to move the 'old' ones on though, I'm such a hoarder and end up with so much old stuff. :o

Soldato
Sold my 42 and got a 45

RtcDdV.jpg

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I think there's a lot of merit in this approach. :)

You at least you're putting in the effort to move the 'old' ones on though, I'm such a hoarder and end up with so much old stuff. :o

I've experienced the hoard syndrome in the past and realised it's a fool's game :D Stuff loses value and people lose interest unless it's something limited edition :p Best to move them on and get a fair price!

I have done some more reading up on Tudor as a brand. Never knew this but it's been wholly owned by Rolex since day 1 as an individual entity:

Before we talk about Tudor of today, let's talk about Tudor of the 20th century. Montres Tudor, SA is indeed owned, in its entirety, by Rolex. It's been that way since day one, too. But that doesn't mean Rolex and Tudor are same company (well, legally, it might), but when Hans Wildorf founded Tudor back on March 6th, 1946, he knew even then that to create a compelling product, it needed be not only robust and interesting, but also have its own identity. The earliest Tudor models were sold under the "Oyster" moniker, adopting the already famous water-proof case from Rolex. In 1952, Tudor unveiled the "Oyster Prince" line, which would become the foundation of the collection for generations.

“For some years now I have been considering the idea of making a watch that our agents could sell at a different price level than our Rolex watches, and yet one that would attain the standards of dependability for which Rolex is famous.”

— Hans Wilsdorf, Founder of Rolex

Source: http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/tudor-pelagos-review

Neat!

Last edited:
Caporegime
It basically mean you have Rolex's little brother (or first cousin), so what I said earlier about just get a Rolex and be done with it? You are more than half way there ! :D

And I can't believe you haven't come across that article. When I googled your watch, it was the first link in the result…didn't you research the brand before buying it? If you didn't how come you said it is "unique" ?

I don't see it as "neat" though. Since up until the 90's it is a Rolex with ETA movement, they also pulled out of the US market completely since 2000. Probably because they are not selling that well. It was marketed, and still am, the working class of Rolex. Rich guy plays golfs with Rolex, miners wears Tudor in the ads etc. It is a way to get more of the market segment from the same company. The company that make my PRS guitar does the same.

They have their normal "core" line, £3k for a guitar.

They also have the S2 line, about £1k, cheaper, at a lower price point, but uses hardware that is made elsewhere. A bit like the Tudor uses ETA movement.

Good as is the S2 line for the price, people really do want a "real" PRS at £3k.

Every brand does that, some do it with different models of products, Rolex just decide to create a brand, it is just marketing.

So, just get one mrk :p

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
And I can't believe you haven't come across that article. When I googled your watch, it was the first link in the result…didn't you research the brand before buying it? If you didn't how come you said it is "unique" ?

I haven't read that article no but I have read others. It's unique to my eyes in terms of the style and features. Isn't that the definition of unique anyway :p What other watch has a matte ceramic bezel in an all titanium case and a bracelet mechanism that no other watch has? :p

But yeah, you said get a Rolex, by that you meant a Sub obviously and you know already I'm not a Sub fan! Explorer II? Sure, but that's a completely different direction to a tool diver :cool:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
All almost identical in design, nothing unique about them other than being Rolex. Where's the USP of a Sea Dweller versus Sub, for example?

They have more flash and bling but that's completely not the kind of watch I ever want.

Sorry but our opinions part ways on this topic :p

Caporegime
All almost identical in design, nothing unique about them other than being Rolex. Where's the USP of a Sea Dweller versus Sub, for example?

They have more flash and bling but that's completely not the kind of watch I ever want.

Sorry but our opinions part ways on this topic :p

You read it here guys! "Ever"!

I disagree, and will make another prediction.

mrk buys Rolex inside 36 months. :D

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
If Sub ever comes out which is a natural upgrade to the Pelagos design then perhaps but that's not ever going to happen :p It's clear Rolex want to keep the design direction different for both dive watch divisions!

Caporegime
Even though they're listed as dive watches? ;)

Correct.

I could list my car as a Ferrari, but that doesn't make it a Ferrari. :p

A Dive Computer is a watch which tells you your deco limits, current and max depths, your dive time, logs, ascent rate, descent rate, can program multiple gasses into them etc.

It's basically an automatic calculator on speed! :D

Chooser of poor weather meets
Soldato
Beautiful Pelagos :) although I'm also going to bet you end up with a Daytona at some point, which is completely justifiable as it will be a perfect complement to the Tudor, giving you both a diver and a chronograph ;)

Soldato
Correct.

I could list my car as a Ferrari, but that doesn't make it a Ferrari. :p

A Dive Computer is a watch which tells you your deco limits, current and max depths, your dive time, logs, ascent rate, descent rate, can program multiple gasses into them etc.

It's basically an automatic calculator on speed! :D

Dive watches were around long before dive computers.

Back
Top Bottom