What watch do you wear?

Soldato
Here's a picture of the brown (tobacco to be specific) dial of my Panerai Luminor 351. This watch is almost perfect for me; 1950's titanium case, tobacco dial, gold hands and sapphire case back with an in house (P9000) movement.

Shiny silver/gold dotted around is considered bling, it doesn't have to be diamonds or other "jewels".
No you're definitely wrong. It's bling to the untrained eye.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah they make quartz watches for various fashion labels but for that kind of budget you can easily get a nice Seiko from creationwatches although they won't be as outgoing as the designs on most Fossil watches of course, you will however get a better watch with better automatic movement :p

Thanks, I've already got a nice Seiko Kenetic watch that my parents bought me for my 18th, looking for something a little more Modern/Fashionable for casual wear.

Soldato
I was in Harrods yesterday, went down to the 'Exotic Watches' section and became a gibbering wreck!!

Omega, Brightling, Tudor, Longines, Rolex and Tag to name a few...

Shame my numbers didn't come up Friday or Saturday!! :(

All the watches you named there are average (put aside certain Rolex), you really missed out on some of the real watches there!

Caporegime
Here's a picture of the brown (tobacco to be specific) dial of my Panerai Luminor 351. This watch is almost perfect for me; 1950's titanium case, tobacco dial, gold hands and sapphire case back with an in house (P9000) movement.

That reminds me. When I was in HK, walking in some mall and came across a Panerai dealer, went in to take a look, even tried a couple. I just don't see the attraction in the design, dare I say it, it looks cheap, REALLY cheap. I mean there is understated and there is way understated. Sure, the quality is nice, but just can't get over the look of it.

Horse for courses.

Chooser of poor weather meets
Soldato
I checked out Oris divers at the AD too, they look nice size in pictures but in person lordy they are huge on the wrist.

A family friend that came round last weekend had one, didn't know what it was but by the size assumed it was some cheap tacky watch marketed at SuperDry customers. Spotted the automatic movement so Googled and got a shock at the price!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
That is actually the one I was looking at! Though that had the orange hands/markers.

Having had both polished and brushed bits on case and bracelet I've promised myself I don't ever want a watch with a polished case case or bracelet again - All brushed/matte just looks so much nicer and tool like :cool:

Soldato
That reminds me. When I was in HK, walking in some mall and came across a Panerai dealer, went in to take a look, even tried a couple. I just don't see the attraction in the design, dare I say it, it looks cheap, REALLY cheap. I mean there is understated and there is way understated. Sure, the quality is nice, but just can't get over the look of it.

Horse for courses.

The design looks cheap? Don't really get that, any panerai I've had has been superbly made

Associate
Another pic if any of you can help.

2mow22t.png

Caporegime
The design looks cheap? Don't really get that, any panerai I've had has been superbly made

Design as in visually.

Horse for courses.

It looks cheap, I never said it feels cheap.

I also said the quality is nice.

Are you reading the same thing I wrote? :confused:

Last edited:
Soldato

Horse for courses.

That is exactly what I love about them, I love the fact its very clean and unfussy, quality but understated as you say. I like the fact literally no one knows its expensive or even heard of them before, that it goes against the fools that think people only buy expensive watches as status symbols. I buy things for me and me only, not so someone else will think I've made it in life, want to show off etc. As you say horses for courses. :)

Last edited:
Soldato

Horse for courses.

It's one of those things that you either "get" or you don't. I love the history and story behind Panerai; how they got started, their supply to the military, their collaboration with Rolex etc. Also that Arnie wears them, which is probably enough to put anyone off :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
I totally understand the understated but there is understated and there is cheap, this goes under all that. It doesn't even look nice in my eyes. The design look lazy as opposed to well thought out.

As for history, every company has history...I would buy a particular item, say a guitar used by Jimmy Page for its history, I don't buy a Gibson for their history. That's just weird. I'd buy a Gibson (say a Les Paul) because I like that particular one.

Horse for course again.

p.s. they do look nicer in real life than that particular photo.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom