What watch do you wear?

Soldato
I totally understand the understated but there is understated and there is cheap, this goes under all that. It doesn't even look nice in my eyes. The design look lazy as opposed to well thought out.

As for history, every company has history...I would buy a particular item, say a guitar used by Jimmy Page for its history, I don't buy a Gibson for their history. That's just weird. I'd buy a Gibson (say a Les Paul) because I like that particular one.

Horse for course again.

p.s. they do look nicer in real life than that particular photo.
Like I said, you get them or your don't. I just find them interesting pieces as well as aesthetically pleasing.

Soldato
Design as in visually.

It looks cheap, I never said it feels cheap.

I also said the quality is nice.

Are you reading the same thing I wrote? :confused:

how can a design look cheap?

i have read what you wrote, it just doesnt make any sense.

surely for something to look cheap it would have to be made of poor materials or poorly constructed,

Does a block of gold look cheap despite the fact its a block?

Chooser of poor weather meets
Soldato
Chatting to a guy at work today who has ordered a Bremont MBI.

http://www.bremont.com/chronometers/range/mb/mb1#selector

"The MBI is only available to those individuals who have ejected using an MB ejection seat and can be quickly identified by its red aluminium barrel."

His father ejected from a plane in 1980 while training in the RAF and survived the experience, so he is buying it in memory of his father and it will come engraved with all of the details from his fathers flight. Insanely cool and exclusive in my eyes, the salesperson at Bremont said they only make about 6 per year.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Another pic if any of you can help.

2mow22t.png

Possibly Hamilton Jazzmaster with petite date/seconds although it must be an older variant as the current ones on sale have numerical digits at 12 o-clock

Caporegime
a nice plain skagen

3s27LmV.jpg

this is my typical taste simple thin plain black and not really noticeable.

but lately I've been fancying something much more beefy whats the name for those watches where the strap is wider than the watch with double buckles etc.

fancying something with big thick strap and waterproof/rugged as hell to live on my wrist when going touring/camping on the bike in future on the outside of the leather jacket.

Caporegime
how can a design look cheap?

i have read what you wrote, it just doesnt make any sense.

surely for something to look cheap it would have to be made of poor materials or poorly constructed,

Does a block of gold look cheap despite the fact its a block?

Except that is a not a block of gold, it is probably stainless steel (it could be Titanium) but because you can't tell it is or it is not, it is the same stainless steel used in other watches, other watches that costs a lot less, so the material here is irrelevant.

So we go to the DESIGN. It is not like you can see behind the casing, sorry, i don't have X-ray vision. I don't know how expensive the movement behind the dial is. I can only see what I see. And it looks simple, actually, looking simple is fine, it takes real skill to design something simple and elegant. But that's gone past simple and elegant into dull and boring...thus cheap.

Plus something can look cheap even if you use good materials. A leather bag using real leather can look cheap, until you put Alexander McQueen's name on it.

Plus, it is my opinion that it looks cheap, it seems you see the name and see the $$$ signs and automatically triggers in your mind that it looks expensive. I see the design (the name is meaningless to me) and the design looks cheap.

So, my opinion that it looks cheap. And why are you trying to convince me that it looks expensive? Surely the point of that is understated, not bling ?

Last edited:
Caporegime
And the same could apply to a simple looking watch with Panerai on it?

Only if you give the brand name a sense of quality. Then what you are doing is judging an object with a sense or emotional attachment that you know of the brand and its association as opposed to looking at it objectively, without the name.

Which is what Cyrus is doing here. Take away the name, look at the design. Don't associate it with anything and judge the design on its own merit.

Caporegime
Chatting to a guy at work today who has ordered a Bremont MBI.

http://www.bremont.com/chronometers/range/mb/mb1#selector

"The MBI is only available to those individuals who have ejected using an MB ejection seat and can be quickly identified by its red aluminium barrel."

His father ejected from a plane in 1980 while training in the RAF and survived the experience, so he is buying it in memory of his father and it will come engraved with all of the details from his fathers flight. Insanely cool and exclusive in my eyes, the salesperson at Bremont said they only make about 6 per year.

That is a very strange way to qualify the criteria of your customers of buying a watch.

Soldato
Except that is a not a block of gold, it is probably stainless steel (it could be Titanium) but because you can't tell it is or it is not, it is the same stainless steel used in other watches, other watches that costs a lot less, so the material here is irrelevant.

So we go to the DESIGN. It is not like you can see behind the casing, sorry, i don't have X-ray vision. I don't know how expensive the movement behind the dial is. I can only see what I see. And it looks simple, actually, looking simple is fine, it takes real skill to design something simple and elegant. But that's gone past simple and elegant into dull and boring...thus cheap.

Plus something can look cheap even if you use good materials. A leather bag using real leather can look cheap, until you put Alexander McQueen's name on it.

Plus, it is my opinion that it looks cheap, it seems you see the name and see the $$$ signs and automatically triggers in your mind that it looks expensive. I see the design (the name is meaningless to me) and the design looks cheap.

So, my opinion that it looks cheap. And why are you trying to convince me that it looks expensive? Surely the point of that is understated, not bling ?

i just disagree that you can link cheapness to design, i'm not trying to convince you that it looks expensive.

Does a casio edifice look expensive because it has a million and one things going on on the dial.

anyway we disagree.

Soldato
Only if you give the brand name a sense of quality. Then what you are doing is judging an object with a sense or emotional attachment that you know of the brand and its association as opposed to looking at it objectively, without the name.

Which is what Cyrus is doing here. Take away the name, look at the design. Don't associate it with anything and judge the design on its own merit.

you can judge a design of course, i just don't see how you can say a design looks cheap or expensive

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
** Any image wider than 1280 pixels should be linked or placed in spoiler tags **

http://i62.tinypic.com/be5u00.jpg[/][/spoiler]

Christopher Ward c60 Trident
Christopher Ward Harrison C9[/QUOTE]

Your lack of a Nato G10 is disturbing :p The Trident at least would certainly suit a Navy one!

Caporegime
i just disagree that you can link cheapness to design, i'm not trying to convince you that it looks expensive.

Does a casio edifice look expensive because it has a million and one things going on on the dial.

anyway we disagree.

It is not about the more things it has going on the more expensive it is, that is not how it works.

I think we should draw the line in the sand here and have to disagree.

Back
Top Bottom