What watch do you wear?

Chooser of poor weather meets
Soldato
Hmmmm.

9iuInf8.jpg

And next to a proper Rolex ;)

fNQ8Exm.jpg

I have to say I really did like the Tudor. The machined feel to it all especially on the surrounding of the bezel made it really feel like a tool watch.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The strap is the weak link ( :) ) of the watch .
The advantage of the double sided AR coating on the glass can be seen in that shot. The shapphire glass is extremely clear which lets the owner see every detail on the dial.

The double AR coating makes little difference, my photo looks like that because the Pelagos is angled down at the lighting and not sitting flat looking straight up.

Soldato
The double AR coating makes little difference, my photo looks like that because the Pelagos is angled down at the lighting and not sitting flat looking straight up.

The AR coating does make a difference. Most watches look a little cloudy through the glass, the SMP is crystal clear, whatever the angle. The images I posted also show it.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Yeah you've got the lighting angled to get the best out of it, I can get the same result from any watch with my camera.

Trust me in store the two side by side looked just as clear as each other but under direct lighting they also looks the same, but both with glare from the lighting. The deep matte of the Pelagos substitutes somewhat for double sided AR coating and in a way is better because a little scuff on the top of the crystal won't remove any coating as there's nothing to remove thus causing a weird spec under certain angles as has been shown many times.

It's certainly not a feature I'd be using as a talking piece for sure as its flaw outweighs any gain.

Chooser of poor weather meets
Soldato
I really couldn't pay £5.5k for a Sub but then I don't get the Rolex thing.

Everyone has their views. Quite a few people can't fathom spending anything more than £20 on a watch under the view that they all tell the time, others view it as a good investment. In my eyes you're mad to think of owning any watch that's still in production as an investment, but it's certainly an asset that doesn't lose all of its value the instant you take it out of the box so should I fall on hard times in the future it can be liquidated for not too much of a loss. When you look at it as the total cost of ownership, then the purchase price becomes slightly irrelevant (providing having £x tied up in the asset isn't an issue, for instance the total cost of ownership of something by Patek Phillipe could be quite low, however having £20k tied up in the watch would be rather restricting)

What do you mean?

Where everything is a brushed metal look and the grip surrounding the bezel has lots of grooves it feels like a piece of equipment that's meant to be used, you're not constantly polishing it to get the fingerprints off of all the shiny metal and make it look nice.

Associate
Has anyone got a spare £9.8m lying around for a pocket watch? It was last wound in 1969. And it's still working.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-30002096

A Patek Philippe supercomplication with 24 complications including Westminster chimes, a perpetual calendar, sunrise and sunset times, and a celestial map of New York as seen from Graves's apartment on Fifth Avenue. :o

THE 24 COMPLICATIONS

Timekeeping

The hours, minutes and seconds of sidereal time (3)
The time of sunset and sunrise (2)
The equation of time

Calendar

Perpetual calendar
The day of the month
The days of the week
The months
The stars chart
The age and phases of the moon

Chronograph (stopwatch)

The Chronograph
Split seconds
The 30-minute recorder
The 12-hour recorder

The Chime

The "Grande sonnerie" (Westminster chimes) with carillon
The "Petite sonnerie" with carillion
The minute-repeater

The alarm

Other functions
The going train up-down indication
The striking train up/down indication
The twin barrel differential winding
The three-way setting system

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
What was the fault with it out of interest? I do like Bremont watches :) Don't see them around often (if ever) but when I do they are appreciated quite a lot :p

Back
Top Bottom