What watch do you wear?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
rubber_2_2.jpg

Going to wear the rubber strap for the first time, quick change before hitting the sack :cool:
I like how it uses the bracelet end links and the titanium buckle is shaped like the Tudor shield logo. The rubber feels same quality as the ISOFrane I had a while back but not as thick which is good as I ended up returning it for that reason.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
It s very comfortable too. Another thing I like about it is that when attached there is some noise from the end links and/or internal tubing where the springbar goes in on the strap just like how the bracelet makes an ambient rattle as the links clank against each other when you move your wrist around quickly (changing gears when driving etc). It's a reassuring noise, mechanical in a way but I appreciate some won't like this in the same way some don't like to hear the movement of a watch winding whereas others consider it a positive thing. It's definitely by design and not something loose, this much is obvious :p

Anyway... For those that have seen Interstellar, here's an interesting look at the Hamilton watches featuring in the movie and how they made the seconds hand do what it did during a certain scene.

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/hamilton-watches-movie-interstellar/

Soldato
Watched Interstellar last night, very quickly spotted the product placement for Hamilton.

I like the hands on Murph's Khaki. While there were only 10 watches created for the film, I can see them creating an Interstellar edition for the masses.

Soldato
It s very comfortable too. Another thing I like about it is that when attached there is some noise from the end links and/or internal tubing where the springbar goes in on the strap just like how the bracelet makes an ambient rattle as the links clank against each other when you move your wrist around quickly (changing gears when driving etc). It's a reassuring noise, mechanical in a way but I appreciate some won't like this in the same way some don't like to hear the movement of a watch winding whereas others consider it a positive thing. It's definitely by design and not something loose, this much is obvious :p

That would just annoy me!

Caporegime
I am sure if the table is turned, you would write the exact opposite – i.e, how you love that it makes no noise whatsoever in use and it oozes quality craftsmanship with precision engineering to the nano meter etc etc etc. It sounds like someone making reasons up to reassure themselves its fine, because it is "designed" to be there. This isn't the click of the bezel turning, it's the link, something that really should be silent.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Every bracelet makes a noise of some description (unless you're one of the few who has it on so tight it might just stop blood circulation), if it didn't it would be a solid piece of metal, a bangle... Give over :p

As mentioned plenty of times, some like the noise of the winding rotor on many watches, some prefer no noise whatsoever. It's your choice. Don't like the noise? Get a leather strap or Nato strap, don't like the rotor winding noise? get one with a quiet rotor or a quartz.

There is no such thing as "if the tables turned, that's a silly comment to make - You either like it or you don't, everyone has their preference.

Caporegime
It's just from my observation mrk that you have an history of writing positive things about your latest gadgets, making it sound amazing and then 3 months later flipping it for something else. Whether it is watches, headphones, monitors, keyboards etc. So pardon me if I am being a cynic when I say I don't think even you believe what you are sayng right now during this honeymood period, it only inevitable (your own purchase history has proven) that you will find another watch that is silent or make a different clank and you prefer that instead. So I am taking everything you say during the initial phase with a pinch of salt. Sorry !

Soldato
I hate ticking watches, but my dad has a £4k Breitling which instead of ticking 1 per second, continuously ticks like 10+ times per second, barely audibly.

Anyone know what sort of mechanism this would be? I believe the watch needs winding up every 3-4 days.

I'm all after one like that!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
It's just from my observation mrk that you have an history of writing positive things about your latest gadgets, making it sound amazing and then 3 months later flipping it for something else. Whether it is watches, headphones, monitors, keyboards etc. So pardon me if I am being a cynic when I say I don't think even you believe what you are sayng right now during this honeymood period, it only inevitable (your own purchase history has proven) that you will find another watch that is silent or make a different clank and you prefer that instead. So I am taking everything you say during the initial phase with a pinch of salt. Sorry !

Yes I do give glowing reviews to stuff I buy or get sent for review and rightly so, usually they are deserving of those comments and when they are not I will note where they are not (X2 headphones, LG's first 34UM95 ultra wide monitor as examples).

I tend to do my research before getting anything anyway though so know it will be good for what I need it for. If it isn't then it gets returned and the cycle continues. Nothing wrong with that. I prefer to post stuff based on experience owning/using/seeing it and using it rather than forum style assumptions.

I hate ticking watches, but my dad has a £4k Breitling which instead of ticking 1 per second, continuously ticks like 10+ times per second, barely audibly.

Anyone know what sort of mechanism this would be? I believe the watch needs winding up every 3-4 days.

I'm all after one like that!

Yeah that's an automatic watch like 95% of the ones in this thread :p

Last edited:
Associate
Watched Interstellar last night, very quickly spotted the product placement for Hamilton.

I like the hands on Murph's Khaki. While there were only 10 watches created for the film, I can see them creating an Interstellar edition for the masses.

One of the first things I noticed in it was the Coopers watch and then spent 5 mental minutes trying to figure out what it was. I now have a hankering for a Murph Khaki, its only a mater of time before Hamilton make it public.

Soldato
Every bracelet makes a noise of some description (unless you're one of the few who has it on so tight it might just stop blood circulation), if it didn't it would be a solid piece of metal, a bangle... Give over :p

As mentioned plenty of times, some like the noise of the winding rotor on many watches, some prefer no noise whatsoever. It's your choice. Don't like the noise? Get a leather strap or Nato strap, don't like the rotor winding noise? get one with a quiet rotor or a quartz.

There is no such thing as "if the tables turned, that's a silly comment to make - You either like it or you don't, everyone has their preference.

I'd have to disagree with you here; the articulated rubber bracelet on my JLC makes no noise whatsoever and fits my wrist perfectly.

Also, I don't think Tudor would design a bracelet to make intentional noise; that makes no sense. The spring bars should fit snug enough to not rattle.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
It's not the springbar itself but something in that area in the rubber strap's tube where it goes in. The springbar is as snug as any other. It definitely sounds like it's by design, it's pretty clear when it's not meant to be anyway... Perhaps one of the other Pelagos owners can confirm.

Associate
It's not the springbar itself but something in that area in the rubber strap's tube where it goes in. The springbar is as snug as any other. It definitely sounds like it's by design, it's pretty clear when it's not meant to be anyway... Perhaps one of the other Pelagos owners can confirm.

never got the rubber one out of the box lol. ill have a look but wont be putting it on.

Caporegime
Yes I do give glowing reviews to stuff I buy or get sent for review and rightly so, usually they are deserving of those comments and when they are not I will note where they are not (X2 headphones, LG's first 34UM95 ultra wide monitor as examples).

I tend to do my research before getting anything anyway though so know it will be good for what I need it for. If it isn't then it gets returned and the cycle continues. Nothing wrong with that. I prefer to post stuff based on experience owning/using/seeing it and using it rather than forum style assumptions.

The cynical part isn't the fact that you write reviews, or even positive reviews. It is the frequence and time period between purchases.

The question is, if the product is so amazing, why do you change and upgrade so often, we are not talking about something like computer parts that gets faster, we are talking about automatic watches, keyboards, headphones, even the monitor to an extent, the tech don't change that fast. If you have done your thorough research as you have claimed, one has to question how thorough are these research in the first place which results in this endless cycle of upgrading your purchases over and over, if the research was solid and you do like the product as good as your have claim then why get rid in the matter of months?

I know you are not an impulsive buyer, I know you do do your research, but you change your toys like a 3 year old seeing a new advert on TV and forget the one he has in his hand. So the only conclusion I can draw is that you write these reviews in haste and notably during your honeymoon period. That is the impression it gives and that's why I said you would think differently if the links is silent and you would write about how great it is instead if it was silent. As opposed to saying it is mechanical sounding and intentional.

Pardon me, that is the way it comes across.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The cynical part isn't the fact that you write reviews, or even positive reviews. It is the frequence and time period between purchases.

The question is, if the product is so amazing, why do you change and upgrade so often, we are not talking about something like computer parts that gets faster, we are talking about automatic watches, keyboards, headphones, even the monitor to an extent, the tech don't change that fast. If you have done your thorough research as you have claimed, one has to question how thorough are these research in the first place which results in this endless cycle of upgrading your purchases over and over, if the research was solid and you do like the product as good as your have claim then why get rid in the matter of months?

I know you are not an impulsive buyer, I know you do do your research, but you change your toys like a 3 year old seeing a new advert on TV and forget the one he has in his hand. So the only conclusion I can draw is that you write these reviews in haste and notably during your honeymoon period. That is the impression it gives and that's why I said you would think differently if the links is silent and you would write about how great it is instead if it was silent. As opposed to saying it is mechanical sounding and intentional.

Pardon me, that is the way it comes across.

But you could say that for any annual-ish purchase for many things. Why buy a new shirt after 6 months if the previous shirt still fits, why buy a new phone after 12-24 months when the old one still connects to the net and takes calls, why buy a new TV when the latest one comes out if the old one still displays a crisp 1080P picture and does what you need. I could go on.

You mentioned a while back when you questioned someone else why don’t they just give a straight answer as to why they bought something rather than go into the heritage/history or whatever else, I don’t have the energy to search through previous posts and that’s just being a bit arsy anyway but surely you will recall, you said why not just say “because I wanted to” or “because I like it” – Well this is me saying because I wanted to, because I like it.

You are asking why I changed then if I liked them so much, well that’s what was mentioned above, because I wanted to, because I like to try out different things if I see something that really tickles my fancy beyond what I already have and if it costs a bit more then fine, our country has a superb consumer returns policy so why not make use of it. Luckily I’ve never needed to use it and have enjoyed each piece until something else became available. It’s like what someone mentioned in the last few pages, flipping them and enjoying the experience of wearing a new one.

Each watch I’ve bought has been great, I like every single one of them even right now that they’re with new owners, well apart from that Seiko 5 which broke within a week and Seiko spent 2~ weeks repairing it…). Each one has been a steady change over the previous, different details, different things about them which appealed and as John Mayer would put it, yeah there’s nothing ultimately special about it but I enjoy it and that’s all that should ever matter.

I just find it amazing that even after all the debating and the finger pointing you still don't get points being made but oh well!

Last edited:
Caporegime
Shirt – they wear out, its cotton, not stainless steel. I would seriously question one who don't replace their old shirt with new ones and wear them
TV – I did not mention this because it moves on fast as well, Plasma, LED, OLED, 720p, 1080p, size, weight, Smart TV, 3D, it is constantly moving.
Phone – I did not mention it on purpose too because I do know you and lots of people change often, because not only the tech moves on fast, and with the attraction of new contracts and free phone, to network coverage, people take advantage of it. There are many variables.

A pair of stereo headphones does the exactly same thing as the last pair.
An automatic watch does the exact same thing as the last one.

Which comes down to the desire to change – want.

It is perfectly fine that you want to, I have said that many times, it is fine to want something (why do you think I have 5 guitars?!) but that brings in the reason why, that means the previous purchased is no longer "wanted" and desired when you replace it with something that does exactly the same job. Thus it is not as good or as nice as the one that replaces it. So the new one is better, it is certainly not worse. You ought to like the new one more, whether it does more in terms of feature is secondary.

It is nothing to do with our country's consumer policy, you don't return these within 2 weeks either, you keep them and sell them second hand and buy something else months later. Which means you like it enough to keep it then realise it is not good enough in the long run and want something better. It comes across as when the honeymoon is over, you start looking for something nicer. It is blatantly clear to me, you really can't see that?

You can say all the reasons that you want, but the impression you sends out from the way you go through products in its frequency (the time scale here is critical. So I question how good are these purchases that you so empathically sung praises about if you got rid so quickly.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Not sure if borderline trolling now or just simply not getting it.

Why does the frequency matter? I saw something I liked so bought it and posted my experience with it. Why would I buy something I didn't like and then post negative about that one? Your reasoning is always bizarre to say the least

Perhaps you buy something out of necessity rather than a love for appreciating something new but not everyone like you. I think you just don't get it and only understand the way you see the world.

As wrong as it may seem I'm just glad I don't live under that kind of umbrella.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom