What watch do you wear?

The only watch you can be more than 50% sure of not losing too much money on for £4000 is a Rolex stainless steel sports model i.e. Submariner or GMT Master II.

My navitimer made me nearly a grand, fair enough I got it at a very favourable dollar rate but there are a couple of other makes to consider if you don't jump on the obvious 'rolly rollercoaster' (even though I was already on said coaster anyway :p)

I'm looking at sort of investing in a nice watch. Looking at something along the lines of a breitling, omega or rolex. Mainly a rolex submariner but anything that looks simular really. I dont mind going upto £4000 so pre owned on the rolex front aslong as it doesnt de value too much. I know it probably sounds strange or unrealistic but is it possible i wont lose too much as i wouldnt want to spend £3000 on a breitling for it to be worth only £1000 in 3 years time.

My main aim is to keep it till my son is old enough to appreciate a nice watch.

Investment and not depreciate is not the same thing.

If you want investment, take into account inflation vs potential other investment opportunity, are you going to make more money from a watch? Do you really need to make that extra £500 after 5 years?

If you just want something that doesn't depreciate then a Rolex is a safe bet as Panthro pointed out.

I'm sure the 'lol buy a casio' crew will appear, but investing in a fine time piece provides plenty of personal satisfaction as long as you appreciate it and its raison detre, furthermore understand how well the piece won't depreciate compared to (say) an equally priced computer, car, telly....whatevs :p

Nailed it in one. I am waiting for more popcorn turds but i know theres some genuine enthusiasts willing to share needed information. I've always loved watches but never had the money for a real nice example. I bought a steinhart last year which is in looks terms like a submariner but fidnt quench the thirst for the real deal!

Thanks for the reply mate.

Yes its a stainless Jubilee, I knew it wouldn't be cheap but that price for SS was quite a shock. Its a Datejust that I inherited that I think is circa 1986 so it is older than me and was worn daily.

fair enough, if it's old, I would def look for a refurb as the new strap isn't far off the value off the watch, go on the T.U.R.F forum, folks there should recommend someone to do it for you

Investment and not depreciate is not the same thing.

If you want investment, take into account inflation vs potential other investment opportunity, are you going to make more money from a watch? Do you really need to make that extra £500 after 5 years?

If you just want something that doesn't depreciate then a Rolex is a safe bet as Panthro pointed out.

I dont want to make money on it, just would be heart broken to drop £4000 on a watch for it to be worth a quarter in years to come. I dont expect it to be worth £4000 when i pass it on but aslong as it holds decent value i would be a happy man.

Investment was the wrong word i guess!

I dont want to make money on it, just would be heart broken to drop £4000 on a watch for it to be worth a quarter in years to come. I dont expect it to be worth £4000 when i pass it on but aslong as it holds decent value i would be a happy man.

The alternative is always get something like a CW or Steinhart for £300 and the absolute maximum you will lose is that £300, with the other £3700 earning you interest.

So the question is how much so you want that name on the watch face and do you actually want it that much.

fair enough, if it's old, I would def look for a refurb as the new strap isn't far off the value off the watch, go on the T.U.R.F forum, folks there should recommend someone to do it for you

Cheers, much appreciated. :)

If it was a Sports model like a GMT, Sea Dweller, Daytona etc I think it would be worth it but for a DJ it seemed a little excessive!

Thanks again.

The alternative is always get something like a CW or Steinhart for £300 and the absolute maximum you will lose is that £300, with the other £3700 earning you interest.

So the question is how much so you want that name on the watch face and do you actually want it that much.

I've got the steinhart and love it and wish it did say rolex. I'm going to have to think harder, but just wanted to make sure the rolex was the right way to go. I got my dad a steinhart too and nearly kept it when it arrived as it was so damn nice.

things is the oyster bracelets on those don't really stretch, def worth getting yours sorted though

That's true, the oyster style does seem to look a lot more robust.

I really do like the watch, it has a smooth bezel which seems to be fairly unusual, most that I have seen are fluted. I will post an update when I source a replacement or get the original refurbished. :)

Got to see a Pelagos today, very impressive. Much nicer in the flesh (even your lovely photos mrk). One thing that struck me about it is that it's way more suitable (obvious price difference aside) for the younger man. Under 30/35's wearing Subs etc can just look a bit daft - Like the guy in my gym jacuzzi on Monday. Even at Virgin active it's a bit much. It's also, as mrk was protesting, far less blingy. It gives off a very different vibe.

I wouldn't recommend buying a watch in the hope it's future value will be high. Instead, buy one because you want a good watch.

Finally someone who gets me!

Did you get to turn the bezel? The noise and feel of the ratchet action is unlike any other I've seen :p

Only got to see it in a cabinet unfortunately. I will try and get a hands on with one when I have some time to really have a look at it.

Back
Top Bottom