What watch do you wear?

Soldato
Huzzah! 1 Steinhart Ocean black in my hand. FedEx dropped it off with a print shop near my flat which I was able to pick it up from this morning. Following thoughts comparing it to the CW C61 I recently returned as they're pretty much the same market.

First impressions: Not as nicely presented as the CW :p It's clearly one of the corners they cut to keep the price down. That and having no customer service to speak of. You won't be keeping the box on the dresser.

The watch comes fully plastic wrapped, with a note warning that if you ever want to send it back for a refund do not remove it. Naturally I read this note after tearing it all off :D

Now whatever you think of the whole 'homage' thing, it's really a very nice watch. IMO there's a lot to not like about the low end diver market - Lots of manufacturers are chucking in things just to differentiate it from the crowd. For many people Rolex nailed this design a long time ago, so unless you're willing to spend rolex money, there's probably going to be something about them you don't like.

There is not a single speck out of place, even under a loupe. The bezel action is nicer than the C61; More to grip, feels tougher and more mechanical. I much prefer the bracelet being all brushed with polished sides instead of polished centre links, the same applying to the case too. The clasp is very poor. Hard to open the clip if you don't have nails and it just feels very stamped and low quality. The clasp on the C61 was better, but being a two push pin system I'd never trust it to stay closed when I needed it too. At least with this I doubt it will ever accidentally come undone.

The crown follows the same tough/mechanical theme compared to the C61. In fact you could probably summarise the general comparison that the C61 doesn't feel like you would ever actually dive with it, where the Ocean 1 does. I'm not sure if you could say the finishing was better on the Steinhart, as the C61 was more or less faultless too, but it definitely feels more premium in the hand. There is of course a weight and size difference which will be contributing factors, but things like the bezel and crown add up. The lume is also better (on the Ocean 1).

The C61 cost me £375 in the sale, with an RRP of £510. The Ocean 1 has cost near enough £300, so a good saving in either scenario. Not only money saved but in my opinion a better watch, certainly much more to my taste. And unless you have a serious thing for the new C60 at £660 on a bracelet I'd just get two Steinharts!

Soldato
Yeah ive tried the bruiser on a couple of times and it is lovely. The reason id consider a pepsi (a late one) is that it would make it v.different to the pelagos. The pelagos and Subc/GMT are all metal sports watches so id hate to find i just wore the gmt instead of the pelagos..... or maybe it would be ok lol. too many decisions.

the pepsi is much more differentiated to the pelagos, simply because of the colour... .but thats just my mind! Ive not tried a non-ceramic gmt on and was wondering how much worse the bracelet is. The pelagos bracelet is one of its best features and a simple pressed steel one would be a backward step.

id heard they may be bringing out a stainless pepsi at this years basel... probably a rumour but ill be waiting until then in any case.

It's a lot to pay to be different though, what’s the retail? Like 15-20k?! If you can afford it though go for it. Although if you want to be different why not get something awesome like an AP Royal Oak and pocket the change? If they bought a stainless Pepsi out that would be awesome though, I think they’ve been smart about this though and will keep it in white gold for some time.

Associate
It's a lot to pay to be different though, what’s the retail? Like 15-20k?! If you can afford it though go for it. Although if you want to be different why not get something awesome like an AP Royal Oak and pocket the change? If they bought a stainless Pepsi out that would be awesome though, I think they’ve been smart about this though and will keep it in white gold for some time.

No, i meant a 2007 pepsi, not the current white gold one. I believe you can get a late 16710 2007 watch for about 4k or less. I think the prices are unfortunately inlfated given the lack of a new ceramic pepsi in stainless. I like the 07 coke too as the red looks deeper owing to the contrast with black.

have you tried on a white gold pepsi? its mega heavy. Lovely thing, but cant imagine wearing it too long.

would love an AP, but out of my price range :(

Soldato
No, i meant a 2007 pepsi, not the current white gold one. I believe you can get a late 16710 2007 watch for about 4k or less. I think the prices are unfortunately inlfated given the lack of a new ceramic pepsi in stainless. I like the 07 coke too as the red looks deeper owing to the contrast with black.

have you tried on a white gold pepsi? its mega heavy. Lovely thing, but cant imagine wearing it too long.

would love an AP, but out of my price range :(

Ahh i get you now, yeah I think the late model 16710's are a great watch and a good investment too, they hold their value very well.

I've never even seen a white gold pepsi in the flesh :(

Quinaay - they look nice, was just about to buy one as it's free postage worldwide but i think 45mm might look a bit too big for my little wrists :/

Soldato
Someone at work has a fake white gold pepsi but won't admit it.

Get us some pics! I imagine the bezel will be a big giveaway :D

Couple more:

puS796.jpg

GrM4n4.jpg

Last edited:
Chooser of poor weather meets
Soldato

Didn't get a chance to have a proper look but someone at work has an SS pepsi that recently had the bezel replaced by Rolex, he said something about them replacing it with a new ceramic one I believe? Didn't get a proper look at it to see if he was telling porkies, but might be an option.

Sticking with the bracelet today I think.

4QHumsM.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom