What watch do you wear?

Soldato
So, eventually got round to taking a "few" snaps (sorry for the picture quality the light was shocking and I didnt have long :( )of the new Steinhart earlier, not the best as I didn't have long, but here goes with a short review:

I went for the Steinhart One Military Vintage (OMV) here as I liked the styling and price for a daily beater / all round workhorse. I also liked the slight nod to the James Bond Sub (not as much as a nod as the Ocean One Vintage here) but after deliberation went for the OMV as I just preferred the overall look and colouring.

It cost 365 Euros (£290.26) delivered, which for a watch of this spec, on paper, was very good value for money.

I ordered direct from the Steinhart website on the 20th January, got my order confirmation on the 21st, shipping / tracking details on the 28th and took delivery (in the UK, from Germany) on the 30th - not bad at all.

First impressions - the box / packaging was a nice surprise, pretty standard outer box but a nice presentation / storage box which was more than expected for a watch of this price:

The watch itself is solid and has a quality look and feel to it. The crystal is clear and has a great viewing angle, the "charcoal" face is not an issue (in fact I really like the colouring) whereas the previous revision had a black face and some have noted their dislike as to the new colour, but is certainly wasn't a deal breaker for me.

The bezel is solid and has a satisfying "click" as it rotates (which takes a reassuring amount of effort to turn) the case, (screwdown) crown and backcase are, again, well made and surprisingly "solid" for a £300 watch.

The (super) lume does not disappoint either giving a solid, even dark green glow for a number of hours with the shortest of blasts from an LED torch :p

So, all good, so far but then we come to the bracelet. The actual bracelet is, again, solid and weighty giving a feel of a good quality product, especially the solid end links, but the clasp is terribad, a real let down, it feels cheap and flimsy and does not give much reassurance as to its longevity (in fact I've already had one of the screw in pins fall out!). Unfortunately it doesn't stop there. The springbars are without a doubt the most awkward ive ever had the displeasure or removing / reinstalling. That is on the original bracelet - they are fine on other bracelets, straps and obligatory natos. It appears to be a small / badly placed opening in the back of the SELs which make removing / replacing the springbars on the original bracelet a mare.

That said (for me personally as I can't see me using the standard bracelet much) it is more of a niggle or mild annoyance as the overall quality, look and feel of the watch heavily outweighs the bracelet and springbar "issue".

Overall I'm very impressed with the watch for the price and can see it being on my wrist a lot more often that not for the foreseeable, especially with a nice selection of replacements for the original bracelet :)
So here's a "few" pics from earlier:

Agree about the clasp, I mentioned it in my first impressions also. It's such a shame as the bracelet itself is really good. TBH all it needs for me is a bit of a notch to allow easier unclipping of the safety clip. If you don't have any nails to speak of it can be a real problem getting the damn thing open. Once the clasp is closed you can't tell how poor it is relative to the rest, so it's of secondary concern. Enjoying it on the black maratac now though.

Associate
Agree about the clasp, I mentioned it in my first impressions also. It's such a shame as the bracelet itself is really good. TBH all it needs for me is a bit of a notch to allow easier unclipping of the safety clip. If you don't have any nails to speak of it can be a real problem getting the damn thing open. Once the clasp is closed you can't tell how poor it is relative to the rest, so it's of secondary concern. Enjoying it on the black maratac now though.

had an OVM for most of last year as a daily beater. Agree on the clasp, its rubbish and lets down the watch. Flogged it late last year and got most of my money back which was nice. Upgraded to a pelagos for daily duties :D

Soldato
had an OVM for most of last year as a daily beater. Agree on the clasp, its rubbish and lets down the watch. Flogged it late last year and got most of my money back which was nice. Upgraded to a pelagos for daily duties :D

I think the Ocean / Pelagos route will be a well travelled one. Was having another look at it in Selfridges the other day and most importantly the missus signed off on it :p Not for a couple of years though yet - Much more important purchases required, like a house :(

Associate
I've been wearing an Orient Ray whilst waiting for my IWCs to come back from the fixers and noticed that the bezel insert was damaged. So I emailed Orient to find out where I could find a replacement and was told that there are no UK ADs so they would send me one free of charge - pretty good customer service! The package arrived today from HK but contained a replacement crown (not even the correct one) and crown shaft - not so good customer service!

Soldato
got a call from my Czech AD today, offered me a SS daytona in both white or black for £8k each.

Im thinking its not worth it, I do have a white SS and it would be nice to get a black also but £8k!!!??

Soldato
got a call from my Czech AD today, offered me a SS daytona in both white or black for £8k each.

Im thinking its not worth it, I do have a white SS and it would be nice to get a black also but £8k!!!??

I've said this before, but the days of paying over RRP for a Daytona a long past. They are easily available in UK at RRP.

Back
Top Bottom