What watch do you wear?

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Hi guys, thought I'd post here as it's the most likely thread to get the best recommendation. It is my Dad's 60th this year so I'd like to buy him a watch. I have a budget of £500-800 to spend.

I'm looking for something that is really clean and simple. Nothing busy. Less is more, so to speak. Any ideas?

Caporegime
Associate
Hi guys, thought I'd post here as it's the most likely thread to get the best recommendation. It is my Dad's 60th this year so I'd like to buy him a watch. I have a budget of £500-800 to spend.

I'm looking for something that is really clean and simple. Nothing busy. Less is more, so to speak. Any ideas?

Christopher Ward or Tissot.

If it was me I'd get the CW as it's a little more unusual for anyone who's not in to watches. For a classic look I'd go for the C9 or C5 according to your budget/preference.

Associate

You can get some excellent watches secondhand for that range of price. Have a look at Chrono24. For instance, I rather like the look of this vintage JLC for $800. Too small for me though.

If you'd rather go new, I would go for something a little different like a Frederique Constant - this is very nice and in the right price range.

Associate
The watch fairy has been. And it has delivered a Parnis big pilot :D

Hacking and hand winding. The automatic rotor is a bit on the noisy side. But for €80 delivered I'm not one to complain.

oNHyGBv.jpg

Man of Honour
B7787BC0-6E0C-4300-95FA-813020A0925B_zpsfvao6h4d.jpg

Soldato
I really like that IWC. But why oh why cut off the top and bottom numbers. Surely they could have designed it better.

I know at normal res you'll not really notice it. But on a 30" monitor its really obvious

Man of Honour
Very nice watch there House...

Thanks.

I've got a few watches, Breitling's, Rolex, Omega and a Patek family hand me down from the old school. The sports watches were good in the 80's/90's bling world, but today look a bit, to me at least, outdated and flash these days and I've not worn any watch for 4 years or so. I wanted something more subtle and I had been considering and close to buying an IWC a few times. The one above has always been my favourite but the last few days I had fallen for the one below and arranged a viewing of both today and a few others. I intended to buy this one...

portuguese-7-day-power-reserve-laureus-edition-blue-dial-mens-strap-watch-p2207-637_zoom_zpsa10v8cxq.jpg

But I just didn't gel with it as I hoped. I found the blue wasn't blue enough and it lost something because of that. It looks better in the picture than in the flesh, so I went with my first choice.

Don
An IWC Portuguese is on my list for some point, that and a AP ROO

seeing as the PAM372 is still away being repaired I will resurrect one not used for a while for the weekend :)

vyMNXeh.jpg

Taking that pic has made me realise 2 things, firstly I think I had better get it cleaned/polished and secondly I suck at photography :p

oh and thirdly, the date is wrong :p

think I may sell this one to fund a new purchase

Back
Top Bottom