What watch do you wear?

Associate
So what's the consensus feeling about the Steinhart Ocean 1? I've been pining over a green bezel Submariner recently but the value for money seeker in me can't really justify ~£5k for a nearly new one. The Steinhart certainly looks like 80% of the watch for 5% of the money but I'm not sure. Is it just a mediocre homage to the Rolex or does it stand up by itself as a quality watch?

Associate
Cheers, that was helpful. I think I'll order one in the next week or so. I'm thinking about changing out the bracelet for a green and black NATO. Do I just need some spring bars and a spring bar tool to do this?

Soldato
No probs, glad you found it helpful :)

You can use the spring bars which come with the watch and used for the provided bracelet.

Yes, get a springbar removal tool, pop them out, remove the bracelet, pop the springbars back in and thread the Nato on :D

Soldato
Oh and Maranez Mini Review:

After seeing and reading about them on the forum I decided to take a look at the Maranezs here MARANEZ and plumped for the Rawai. I went for the Brushed Stainless Steel with Blue Califonia dial, silver hands and C3 Superluminova.

Specs (from the website) are:

The Maranez Rawai with its 45mm case is a tribute to an early Italian military watch.
Available in stainless steel or brass featuring a clean dial that design offers you a great readability.

300m water resistance and a beautiful domed acrylic crystal which is fixed by a screwed retainer ring.

The watch will come with 2 leather straps, a dark and a light brown.

Model: Maranez Rawai
Movement: NH35 automatic
Case diameter: 45mm excluding the crown - lug to lug 56mm - height 18mm - weight on leather strap 166g
Case material: Brushed stainless steel
Bezel: 120 clicks brushed stainless steel but a brass lumed pin at 12
Crown: Screw down steel crown 11mm
Crystal: Acrylic (double domed)
Dial: Black, green, blue or brown, indices with Super Luminova
Water-resistance: 300m/1000ft
Strap: 24mm leather one dark and one light brown
Buckle: Brushed stainless steel

It was $349 delivered to the UK (just over £234) and ordered on the 12th February. I had instant notification of payment and tracking details / confirmation of shipping within 12 hours. It was delivered safe and sound (this morning) four days later - Well done Fedex!

The package arrived in good order:

VZbpgGg.png

And inside the Fedex bag a polystyrene box, in perfect condition:

t7A58iS.png

Inside the polystyrene (like a Russian Doll) was a touch plastic cylinder with screw top !

saT5NMQ.png

Once opened the inner split foam packaging ensured the watch and accessories were indeed safe and sound after travelling half way round the globe:

dygRO65.jpg

It included the Watch (fitted to the darker strap), lighter strap, warranty card, screwdriver (for the screwed strap bars) and two spare bars !

6PcgntW.jpg

6E5JLip.jpg

And to the watch

gDsfsuv.png

OwaDUHd.png

gQXaLma.png

Ihr9VwR.png

0RFccO3.png

It definitely feels solid and the bezel is rock solid. The straps are both of more than acceptable standard and the chunky buckle comes complete with logo detail

i01hhYb.png

As does the case back

ytYBcQS.png

A nice finish all round and again lovely workmanship and real solid chunky construction

m3Pzy0I.png

Look at that crown !

mJXunGV.png

qqzCS7O.png

So off with the strap

oDzCTSB.png

And some comparison shots against a Steinhart OMV

oKV4tZO.png

Cc4gWJu.png

Aq3W3Ea.png

5NmQSVX.png
And some ( 7 1/4") wrist shots

sQdWkcb.png

PgNF62p.png

HaG0Byo.png

It really is a lovely watch, really "my thing" and the two straps are a great compliment and give good contract with the two colours. In terms of quality for the specs and money I really do think this is a corker of a watch, very very happy indeed!

Imgur gallery here Maranez Rawai - Album on Imgur

I've also ordered three C&B 24mm natos to give more options on the straps - will post more pics when they arrive

Soldato
Found this lurking in the bottom of my watch box

Don't think it will see the day out :p

Didn't last the day, don't really like it I've only worn it about 5 times in the last god knows how many years :p

so

aLgXWja.png

Caporegime
The Orange Monster has a 20mm lug width so I stole the Perlon form mrk. Super comfy and I can see it being less sweaty than a bracelet or NATO strap when it gets warmer.

liPNFpF.jpg

gbRFlqN.jpg

YgykTkl.jpg

Chooser of poor weather meets
Soldato
Very nearly complimented a waiter this evening for what, on initial glance, looked like an SS Daytona, quickly spotted the words "Rotary" on the face though.

Still not sure how I feel about Rotary watches, I understand it will allows you to wear the design of your favorite premium watch at a much more affordable price, but they could at least try to be a little different :(

Back
Top Bottom