What watch do you wear?

Associate
Posted in the items bought thread the other day but right now it looks like this:

76EEE1DC-8829-42E1-A159-B4D7DC946B63.jpg

Seiko 5 / SNZG13 - Can't really complain for under £100. I wanted a fairly simple and clean auto, been looking at various more expensive ones but in the end got this. I do still want a more expensive auto, a pilot style but this will do for now.

DSC_0587.jpg

C0D796D8-926B-4786-A2DB-32C29D7D09F8.jpg

Lume:
8DDDC47E-8955-461F-975E-200EEE5F6CB3.jpg

Oh yeeeeah!

I've had mine for about two years, also from creation. I hadn't worn it for a while. It somehow just didn't do it for me.

Got another watch recently that came on a brown distressed nato. Swapped the nato for the bracelet and vice-versa. BAM!

Loving it now so much :D

The strap really makes the watch.

JMcMqga.jpg
oVuwqYZ.jpg
d5ZSxYa.jpg

Soldato
Guys, got an almost new orient ray raven and new blue mako both of which I bought last year. Where is the best place to sell, is eBay ok for this sort of stuff or am I asking for trouble?

The watch forums all seem to require active membership for the classified.

Associate
Hey guys.
Got a orient mako, had a nato strap on it which decided to break mid throw at a country fair....

After the watch stopped gliding through the air in a similar way to how bricks fly, it hit the coconut I was aiming at and knocked it off, but this is a apparently illegal attempt.... :mad:

Anyway the damage is:
* Scratched glass
* Slow time keeping.
* chrome surround for day/date indicator has come off.

I have tried finding someone in Swansea that can repair it but they all turn there noses up at automatics, anyone know a decent on-line place which can repair the stupid thing.

Cheers in advance.

PS: I have replaced the nato watch strap with a traditional faded brown leather unit.

Likely the parts/labour will be more than buying a new one, even if you find someone.

Associate
Have you played with one of Apple's link bracelets? Why don't luxury watch manufacturers make it this easy to adjust their metal bands? Is it because they lack the engineering expertise or are they just stuck in their ways?

Lol, yes. Its absolutely because the watch manufacturers lack the engineering expertise. Just lol.

Maybe its because its a problem nobody needs to solve? Once its adjusted you literally will never change the number of links. Does the link bracelet have micro adjusters?

Soldato
Hey guys.
Got a orient mako, had a nato strap on it which decided to break mid throw at a country fair....

After the watch stopped gliding through the air in a similar way to how bricks fly, it hit the coconut I was aiming at and knocked it off, but this is a apparently illegal attempt.... :mad:

Anyway the damage is:
* Scratched glass
* Slow time keeping.
* chrome surround for day/date indicator has come off.

I have tried finding someone in Swansea that can repair it but they all turn there noses up at automatics, anyone know a decent on-line place which can repair the stupid thing.

Cheers in advance.

PS: I have replaced the nato watch strap with a traditional faded brown leather unit.

Sent you a trust message as I have a spare which would cost you less than a repair not that you could get these repaired over here by the sounds of the damage.

Soldato
Im having real issues with my S1500 Tag, it was losing time last August and I took it into the watch lab (£300 Service). Queue a complete farcical 8 months where its still losing time and has been back to Preston no less that 3 Times. The original work was undertaken by Tag in Manchester as TWL sent it to them, the watch lab have been very poor (even to the point where the guy in the Nottingham branch got quite vocal as if it was my fault (I had to tell him to stop raising his voice)) not really sure what to do now but its not going back to TWL as they are completely incompetent.

Last edited:
Associate
It's proprietary. Every link detaches with a press on the inside and then slips onto the watch without any tools.

It's a fantastic piece of engineering. Apparently it takes Apple 9 hours to make each one, hence the price.

lol that is laughable that you think it takes Apple 9 hours to make each one. Yes it is cool, but like others have said, once you adjust your bracelet once, you don't need to do it again.

Soldato
lol that is laughable that you think it takes Apple 9 hours to make each one. Yes it is cool, but like others have said, once you adjust your bracelet once, you don't need to do it again.

Not strictly true, during the hotter months i always remove half and add a full link to my bracelets as your wrist swells.

Altho charging extra just because its tool less seems silly, more likley just because its got apples name on it. (Sent from my iphone) it takes no more than 5 mins to change a link on most watches ive tried.

Soldato
Im having real issues with my S1500 Tag, it was losing time last August and I took it into the watch lab (£300 Service). Queue a complete farcical 8 months where its still losing time and has been back to Preston no less that 3 Times. The original work was undertaken by Tag in Manchester as TWL sent it to them, the watch lab have been very poor (even to the point where the guy in the Nottingham branch got quite vocal as if it was my fault (I had to tell him to stop raising his voice)) not really sure what to do now but its not going back to TWL as they are completely incompetent.

Heh, I sent my Raymond Weil into Fraser Hart for a service and battery change and they said it could take about 3 to 4 weeks. I said that's fine and three weeks later I get the call I was hoping for, turns out it wasn't the call I wanted. They were phoning to tell me that Raymond Weil had received the watch and it will now take 4-5 weeks to get it serviced. Da ****?

Soldato
Smart watches are gay and will never replace a proper time piece, especially as technology changes, they will age, quickly, compared to a decent watch. They will become the new digital photo, whereby no one takes a photo and prints it off anymore, for future generations to see. Instead they sit on a hard drive and end up getting lost, overwritten or simply replaced.

For a daily wind, the Rotary Ocean Avenger is my current fav, although I don't wear a watch, haven't since 2001, and don't really have a need, but if I did, I wouldn't spare any more ££ than £200 on a decent Rotary.

For the special occasion I'm eyeing up a nice Chopard Millie Miglie GTS anniversary edition.

Caporegime
Have you played with one of Apple's link bracelets? Why don't luxury watch manufacturers make it this easy to adjust their metal bands? Is it because they lack the engineering expertise or are they just stuck in their ways?

Because it's a once in an ownership job, how many times do you need to add/remove links once you've had it adjusted?

Not strictly true, during the hotter months i always remove half and add a full link to my bracelets as your wrist swells.

Can't you just play with the micro-adjustment on the clasp, then you only need a paperclip.

It's a solution to a problem that never really existed.

Soldato
Because it's a once in an ownership job, how many times do you need to add/remove links once you've had it adjusted?

Can't you just play with the micro-adjustment on the clasp, then you only need a paperclip.

It's a solution to a problem that never really existed.

Theres no micro adjustment on the planet ocean bracelett, or on any of
My cheaper dressy (non diver) watches.

Soldato
For a daily wind, the Rotary Ocean Avenger is my current fav, although I don't wear a watch, haven't since 2001, and don't really have a need, but if I did, I wouldn't spare any more ££ than £200 on a decent Rotary.

For the special occasion I'm eyeing up a nice Chopard Millie Miglie GTS anniversary edition.

Odd choice on the Rotary for a Chinese watch @ that price as you could get a Japanese Seiko or Orient with an automatic movement and proper diving capability. Very few Decent Swiss made Rotary watches now. I looked at their les originales range a few times and even at 50% discount many can be found for they are still lacking. Fair play on the Chopard.

Last edited:
Soldato
The Ocean Avenger is still swiss made, along with the Lausanne, hence the specific recommendation over normal rotary's. Still, with a lifetime guarantee, even if it did hail from China, it wouldn't matter if it took a dive (no pun intended).

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
This is where self-adjusting microadjust works best :p

Guys, got an almost new orient ray raven and new blue mako both of which I bought last year. Where is the best place to sell, is eBay ok for this sort of stuff or am I asking for trouble?

The watch forums all seem to require active membership for the classified.

AVForums, Watchuseek, Reddit's r/WatchExchange (I sold my Longines HydroConquest there, got a really good price for it too inc shipping).

Edit* Striked out forums, re-read your post!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Give me £200 and I'll make one in four hours.

Massive giant mega company takes 9 hours to make a linking chain of metal....?! It can probably make 10,000+ a day at about £10 a piece :p

Back
Top Bottom