What watch do you wear?

Associate
Ok, long story ahead :)

I'm not a watch person. I've refused watches for 30 years, and I tought I was just fine!

Anyway, I was browsing on Ali*beep* and I notices (amongst the sex toys and other semi-interesting things that is there) a fancy looking watch for *ELEVEN QUID*

Given that I've bought quite a few things from over there, including a really fantastic copy of a Gibson Les Paul, I tought "what the heck" ?!?! And ordered one. Eleven pounds, shipped. Thats 3 pints worth of watch.

Anyway, long story short, what arrived was an horendous piece of plastic called 's-shock'. Whoops, bad shipping blah blah, sending you another one blah blah. A month later the real 'Jaragar' watch arrived and I was floored...
In fact, everyone in the office was floored, even the Watch Buff guy. Nice watch, smooth, nice leather (an I *am* a leather person) and ... it worked, it looked good and I started wearing it immediately.

And it kinda grew on me, I mean, it's a bit /slow/ (looses about 1 minute a day-ish) and the buttons are just there to set the date but hey, it looks fun! Theres a very nice coating on the glass (really).

Anyway, guess what? I then ordered another watch from Ali, a clone of a rolex DeepSea. Being a geek, I compared it with a loupe with the 'real vs fake' website, and from what I can see, it's a very good copy. Bit heavy tho...
The other one, the Stuhrling, is from Amazon, and I have to say is a pretty nice watch; quartz so not as 'smooth' as the other ones, but nicely made and so far been pretty good. Large and uncluttered.

Ok so there must be a happy ending to this isn't there? well, I don't think so, I'm now ogling a real Omega one... :)
IMG_3873.jpg
Images over 1,280 pixels wide should be placed in spoiler tags as I've done for you.

Cheers

Surveyor

Soldato
Can someone explain to me what the numbers around the various dials represent, such as in BUSErrors's picture, his left hand watch and numbers from 11 to 95 in various colours.
What is that? What does it represent?

Soldato
Anyone able to recommend an online shop for getting a silicone strap?
Just want a plain strap to replace a wide metal one but can only seem to find ones with a pattern on the surface or some other horrific detail...
It's a pretty wide strap

Associate
I wear a citizen eco drive watch with a royal blue face. Unfortunately for me i work inside a hardened building with no windows so i never manage to charge the light on it! Though i just wear it for the sentimental value as i've had it a good few years now.

Soldato
Guys, friend recently scored his lifelong ambition as a local bobby. To say this is a great achievement for him is an understatement. It's his birthday soon too so my wife and I would like to buy him a congratulatory gift (watch) for his new job / birthday.

Something suitable for a police role, G-Shock based I'm guessing, but would love alternatives. Budget won't be massive as this is a daily driver, so £300 or so?

Thanks

No one?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Are G-Shocks what he likes the style of? TBH watches are highly personal items and you need to get one that he will enjoy wearing rather than wearing it to be polite even if he doesn't like the one you pick.

Perhaps find a way to weasel into idle conversation his watch likes/dislikes and go from there.

Associate
Normally I'd shy off a quartz, but if he wants to wear it at work a mechanical probably not the best.

G-Shocks aren't liked by everyone - I'd find the style he likes and buy quartz from a quality manufacturer. Christopher Ward is a good place to start as they have lots of styles to choose from even if you like something else in the end.

Soldato
This is my current selection. Going from left to right in terms of use. Only just got the Smartwatch on tuesday! Normally wear my Tissot as I love that. The Rotary is unfortunately broke at the moment, and will cost around 200 to fix (or so I'm told) so I'm not fussed about getting that done at the moment.

As you can tell I like leather straps, absolutely hate metal straps!

24zf810.jpg

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I've never really been a fan of gold accented dials (going by online pics) but at a wedding today the groom put on his gift from the bride and I could not help but think it looked really classy in the flesh. It's a Montblanc Timewalker.

Yes, his date is wrong :o

Last edited:
Associate
I've never really been a fan of gold accented dials (going by online pics) but at a wedding today the groom put on his gift from the bride and I could not help but think it looked really classy in the flesh. It's a Montblanc Timewalker.

Yes, his date is wrong :o

Very, very nice.

Recently the tax man has been very good to me so it was watch shopping time!

Went out with every intention of getting a Planet Ocean or a yellow face Emergency then saw a gorgeous preowned understated IWC. Came home empty handed.

Decisions decisions :(

Associate
You didn't get the IWC? IMO they are usually much nicer and understated designs than the usual Omega/Breitling offerings :p

I've wanted an Emergency for years and I've recently sold a Seamaster which was going to partially fund the Planet Ocean. I'd never really considered an IWC but this was beautiful, a very elegant design.

I find that now I'm a bit older I'm shying away from the watches I used to like and can honestly see myself with the IWC. The missus much preferred the IWC too.

Back
Top Bottom