What watch do you wear?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Think mine is 7" ish too, really it wears quite nicely, more so with the bracelet as it hugs at the lugs than with a Nato but even still, is all good :)

Soldato
The Trident 600 automatic starts at £600 which is double my budget. I've never had a mechanical watch but in all honesty it seems that it's just out of my budget. The Steinhart however is automatic?

What do guys think I should do? Stick with the CW Trident 300 Quartz with bracelet which comes in at £360, go for the Steinhart or something different altogether?

Choices!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
A few folks have the Ocean range here yeah.

There's also this: https://www.premiumwatches.com/certina-automatik-ds-action-diver-c013.407.11.041.00.html

And I can highly recommend the original Longines HydroConquest. Both are uniquely styled divers. the Hydro will be insanely accurate, mine was +1 second per day and it looks very elegant. You could probably find a used one for sale in good condition if you search around I bet. It might involve stretching your budget a bit though, but either way you would end up with a fairly premium watch.

Soldato
Another review of the Steinhart here: http://www.watchitallabout.com/steinhart-ocean-1-watch-review/

The fact that you can get a watch like this for €350 is incredible. It’s just so well made and highly specced – you really can’t go wrong. The only two minor points really are the ever-so-slightly thin buckle (which is still very secure) and the lack of ingenuity in the design. But these are very minor. The fact that it is a direct homage to the Rolex Submariner means that it’s a bit of a “marmite” watch – you either love it or hate it. But, that doesn’t change the fact that it’s still a great watch for the money.

So yes, I’d highly recommend a Steinhart Ocean 1, just like all the others who have got one – and if you find a better Swiss Made diver for less then please tell me!

Looks like I'm snapping one up right now :D

Associate
Caporegime
personally I'd rather go for one of the original Steinhart designs over one of their homage watches, then again as the review says it is a marmite watch

The Tudor on the other page is a good option if you like that style and don't want to shell out for a full fat Rolex... they're basically made to the same standard albeit with a non-Rolex movement and a different brand name

Soldato
Steinhart are decent value for a Swiss watch. But I wouldn't buy a watch that's such a blatant copy of the Sub. For a dive watch I would rather throw the £332 at Creation Watches and buy a Seiko Sumo.

Thread about the Sumo here:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f21/what-makes-seiko-sumo-so-great-your-opinion-2065002.html?highlight=seiko+sumo

And Creation:

http://www.creationwatches.com/products/seiko-japan-82/seiko-prospex-diver-6r15-automatic-sbdc001-200m-1740.html

I don't know why but Seiko watches just do not appeal to me. I can't place my finger on it.

I appreciate the Steinhart is a homage to the sub. But anyone with knowledge of watches will know that, and anyone who doesn't will just see it as a beautiful watch. Seems like a win win to me? :rolleyes:

Caporegime
Very nice.

Did you consider anything else at the time? I'm basically trying to make sure all avenues have been exhausted before I click the buy button :D

Well, there are others, but it became the game of way too many watches, lots of designs that i like so I ended up playing safe and got one with a decent spec, which is what the OB1 is, a copy of a Rolex sub as it may.

I also didn't want to spend that much more money either.

Soldato
personally I'd rather go for one of the original Steinhart designs over one of their homage watches, then again as the review says it is a marmite watch

The Tudor on the other page is a good option if you like that style and don't want to shell out for a full fat Rolex... they're basically made to the same standard albeit with a non-Rolex movement and a different brand name

My budget is £300. Tudor is way out of my range.

Associate
I went to visit the Steinhart dealer in Hong Kong recently. Picked up an Ocean One GMT Blue/Red. Uses the ETA 2893-2 movement, which is the same/similar movement in the CW C9 GMT and I think some of their older Trident GMTs used the same movement.

For the money, it's a stunning watch! I actually prefer the Ocean One Miltary RED. The red differs from the normal OMV in that it has the date function displayed. The internal movement of the OMV and OMR are EXACTLY the same. I would rather the date there, but I can imagine that some might not.

Why did I get the One GMT over the OMV? I hear Steinhart only gets around 1000 of the ETA 2893 movement a year vs about 5000 of the ETA 2824-2 so makes the GMT models less readily available.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Steinhart, after owning CWs and Orients.

Soldato
Well, there are others, but it became the game of way too many watches, lots of designs that i like so I ended up playing safe and got one with a decent spec, which is what the OB1 is, a copy of a Rolex sub as it may.

I also didn't want to spend that much more money either.

Was it you that was anti watch once upon a time ? What made you change your mind, apologies if I'm mistaken and got the wrong person.

Caporegime
Was it you that was anti watch once upon a time ? What made you change your mind, apologies if I'm mistaken and got the wrong person.

Wasn't anti-watch, I don't buy into the concept of a watch is a "better" because of all that history of the company/so my son can have it/it goes up in value malarkey. I appreciate the workmanship, it's looks too but it's not a better watch for time keeping, I need to correct it twice a month because it runs fast. Then some weeks it runs perfect. It's like it had a mind of its own. It's actually pretty annoying.

As a piece of fashion accessory that happens to keep time, to a point, it does the job.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom