What watch do you wear?

Man of Honour
Have a look on the last page, there's a few comments about watches in your price range. Seiko and Tissot are a good shout and have history.

Soldato
Thought I would put a new strap on the Arctic Marine, it's an olive coloured Colareb Venezia, Italian company from Rome, fantastic quality ...smells good too. I think the olive works well with the blue dial.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Rubber for me today :p

What about Christopher Ward?

I and many others think they're now overpriced for what they offer. There was a time when they were great value for money and the quality of them was matched to that price. Now that they're more well known among the crowd, they have been increasing their prices but not necessarily increasing their quality or style to match the competition.

Associate
Hello,

I'm after a nice watch which can be worn for formal events (with suit) and casual outings. I literally know nothing about watches. Obviously I've heard about Omega and Rolex, but everything else is a complete unknown.

My budget is around £250 - what do you guys recommend? What should I look for? I quite like leather straps.

Hey Robi

2 things, sort of. It's difficult to get a watch that both works formal (dress) event and casual outings.

For the budget, I would recommend an Orient Bambino as a dress watch and for more casual outings, Orient also do a pilots style watch. You can get both within your budget (just checked ebay).

I own the pilot style watch and I'm very happy with it.

Associate
It doesn't help when people keep saying how good they are :(

Been wearing the Hamilton for the last two weeks solid, tempted to sell off most of my Seikos and put that towards the speedy fund.

O6HygJ7.jpg

do you have a picture from a bit further away? i love the look of that watch, but thinking it might be a bit big for my girley little wrists.

Caporegime
do you have a picture from a bit further away? i love the look of that watch, but thinking it might be a bit big for my girley little wrists.

This is the 42mm model and I have 6.75" wrists and it's just the right size, they do a 40mm and 38mm version if you're worried about it being overpowering.

Pic:
WJA7YnT.jpg

Associate
I was planning to buy a 45mm PO recently, but couldn't really justify pulling the trigger now knowing it wouldn't be too big!
So I ordered a Rep PO in 42.5mm, that'll tell me how it fits, and I can then decide to buy the small, or the big one...

My wrist is 7.5", and I love my 44mm sub homage, but well, it's still nearly 3 grand so I'd better be sure!

Soldato
I was planning to buy a 45mm PO recently, but couldn't really justify pulling the trigger now knowing it wouldn't be too big!
So I ordered a Rep PO in 42.5mm, that'll tell me how it fits, and I can then decide to buy the small, or the big one...

My wrist is 7.5", and I love my 44mm sub homage, but well, it's still nearly 3 grand so I'd better be sure!

Surely it would be cheaper just to try it on instore. I have the 45mm version and I'm also a 7.5" wrist and I find it perfect but I like big watches.

Soldato
Far too many choices, I genuinely have no idea what to choose or what size to get. I'm guessing it would be sensible to hop into Manchester and try something on in a store?

Any shops you guys recommend?

Associate
Surely it would be cheaper just to try it on instore. I have the 45mm version and I'm also a 7.5" wrist and I find it perfect but I like big watches.

Well I don't have a store that carry these (that I know of!); beside, the Rep will be used as a beater afterward, so I'm not too worried. It's $90 from Ali.. from the same seller I got the accidental Faulex from, so I expect the quality to be quite good...

Still, I'm having the finger THIS close to the trigger for the real one, I'm not totally sure I can resist, and you saying you have a big wrist...

Now IF you were to post a pic I'd be in serious trouble :)

Soldato
Would like a recommendation (or two) please.

7 1/4 inch wrist so I can't pull off anything bigger than 40mm probably - quite conscious of it looking "too much" for my thin wrists.

Open-minded on style, although not too plain and not too "fussy/cluttered", budget £300 max, daily watch - work/dress - I'll wear it all day every day.

I would possibly consider 2nd hand.

Soldato
I like dive watches most of all, and while the watch I am about to recommend isn't 100% traditional diver, it is a dive watch still with 500M water resistance, it does not have the traditional rotating bezel but it does have a helium release valve ...for what that's worth.

The Magrette Ragattare This is most likely what I will purchase next myself, I've been toying with the idea a while now and the more I look at the watch the more I like it, the Tiki black model anyway. It comes in a shade over your budget at £327 at the current exchange rate, but close enough eh :p

The particular dealer I linked is the official European distributor for Magrette, who are a New Zealand company.

Last edited:
Associate
The watch I posted somewhere in this thread has turned its face the wrong way since I took that photo... Really weird.

Need to send it to get serviced now. Sigh!

Soldato

It is a big and heavy watch for ~ 7" wrists. Not sure if this is smaller, but I had the 2011 version that is 44mm diameter (and with internal rotating bezel).

I'm a bit disappointed with magrette tbh. They have not come out with anything that looks different from their first versions (ignoring the fancy case engravings). Same hands, same pips, same number styling/font.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom