What watch do you wear?

Associate
So I'm after some more suggestions... I've never been keen on a lot of dive style watches but seeing the likes of the orbis Morgan and the steinhart posted here are making me more tempted to try one out, especially for the price.

I think I'd only wear that sort of thing as a casual peice so most days I'll have my tissot on. I don't fancy an automatic becuase I'd have to keep winding it. Is there anything similar in style (and price) to the OM or steinhart but with a Quartz movement?

You could try C Ward Trident series, I have the automatic one, but they do a quartz version.
These watches are very good value for money, the leather strap versions are £299.

http://www.christopherward.co.uk/watches/dive/c60-42-q-swksi.html

Soldato
Could you guys help me find a watch?

I'm struggerling as I can't seem to stand having a metal watch touching my skin - I seem to get a a rash / heat issues when I have worn these before :(

Don't want to spend a fortune on one, but it'd be nice to have one again - even though I ahven't worn one for what seem's ages

Is it just the case that's irritating, or the bracelet too?

If the case, then look into an appropriately-sized display back.

If the strap, then of course plenty of watches come on leather, faux leather, rubber, canvas, nylon etc. straps or you can change out the steel bracelet for whatever you like.

Soldato
Hugh

Its both - I had a nice gold chain from my late grandad, but I can't wear it

Ah, so it's not just steel, it's any metal, including the noble metals?

Then try for a watch with a display back (or get one installed on a watch you already own, if that's possible) so that you're mostly contacting sapphire or some form of plastic.

Then for the band you have many, many things to choose from. I like leather and hate rubber on straps, but I've yet to try a true NATO-type strap. The NATO straps mean you can be wearing a steel watch, as the strap is between you and the case back. A very nice and cheap fix if you've already got a watch you like wearing, just can't because of your reaction to it.

one-piece-nato-strap.jpg

http://gearpatrol.com/2012/04/10/timekeeping-how-to-change-a-watch-strap/

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks nice enough - didn't I read something on here about poor quality c ward watches?

You did indeed. People saying their watches failed, and then the replacements failed too. But that can happen with any brand.

CW use mass-produced, improperly regulated ETA movements in a nice shell (we're talking automatics). There are plenty of other brands that use the exact same movements (also not regulated properly) at half the price. Pay a bit more for a properly regulated movement from another manufacturer.

Last edited:
Caporegime
So I got my SMPc today, the bezel is out of alignment and there's play up/down against the case. The clicks feel worse than any Seiko I own. I'm having a run of bad luck.

Associate
So I got my SMPc today, the bezel is out of alignment and there's play up/down against the case. The clicks feel worse than any Seiko I own. I'm having a run of bad luck.

Sucks! Doesn't sound like very good QA at all! Bought my PO via iconic watches and it was perfect, I'd except as much for such expensive watches...

Was your watch 'in the shop' or was it ordered for you? Mine was 'in the shop' -- I don't know if that means they had a look at it and could flag any big problem?

Caporegime
It was in the shop, so hopefully they'll have another. Either way I don't want this one back, it's tarnished in my eyes. This is why I waited until I tried a few on before buying to see what they're like, if this was 'normal' I wouldn't have ordered one in the first place. I've got a Seiko diver that's got 3 years worth of grit and muck in it, and it feels better than this SMPc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom