What watch do you wear?

Soldato

Once you can give me a financial breakdown of the manufacturing costs of the alligator straps found on Patek watches and the steel bracelets of AP, I'll pay attention.

Otherwise, you have absolutely no idea what they cost to produce.

Similarly, the statement of them not being 'worth' the cost is actually irrelevant anyway. If someone will pay that for it, that's what it's worth.

Soldato
New addition

Nice one ;) EXCELLENT tastes !

IMG_20150911_084548.jpg

Very Nice. Amazing blue on blue

Soldato
Once you can give me a financial breakdown of the manufacturing costs of the alligator straps found on Patek watches and the steel bracelets of AP, I'll pay attention.

Otherwise, you have absolutely no idea what they cost to produce.

Similarly, the statement of them not being 'worth' the cost is actually irrelevant anyway. If someone will pay that for it, that's what it's worth.

Indeed, i currently own 3 rolexes and an iwc, the rolexes are all on steel oyster bracelets and the IWC on an IWC alligator strap. so i have paid for them, therefore they are worth that to me.

i cant give you a manufacturing cost for the bracelet on my sub, the same way you cant give it to me either, but i do know its made from stainless steel, and i could buy something similar, non rolex for less than a tenth of the price. and i imagine a company as successful as rolex has their procurement and manufacturing down to a tee.

Similarly i can buy a lovely alligator strap from Rios ,Camille Fournet,or Hirsch (who provide a lot of OEM straps) for 1/3 of the price IWC or Panerai charge. And given that a lot of companies buy in their leather straps from a strap manufacturer the extra you pay is just brand mark up.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
[/SPOILER]

Does look very cool on that NATO.

Considering getting a few for my watches, can anyone point to a good supplier of high quality NATO straps

Already been mentioned above, Timefactors for UK sourcing, Cheapnatostyrap for US (takes 7014 days to arrive, no customs for me at any time). I have 3 NATOs from the latter and they're very close to Maratac quality but for several £ less per strap. CNS also do a 5 strap discount of 25% off the total sum. Their Perlon straps are very good quality I've found so far.

Genomon are Germany based and also sell decent quality Deivas straps for around the £10 mark, though the newer Timefactors ones have the beefier matte buckles.

here's why,

Exactly. If it's good enough to James Bond then it's good enough for anyone.

Last edited:
Soldato
[/SPOILER]

Does look very cool on that NATO.

Considering getting a few for my watches, can anyone point to a good supplier of high quality NATO straps

the one pictures above is from Eddie over at Timefactors, £9 and great quality.

I see you've gone to the dark side soundood

yes indeed, I am Daniel Craig ;)

Exactly. If it's good enough to James Bond then it's good enough for anyone.

indeed, just a modern take, on a timeless classic ;)

EiojKNW.jpg

Soldato
Have to keep in mind that watches such as the Sub, Explorer and alike had the primary function of being tool watches rather than the fashion accessories they have become today.

A NATO strap would have been the best thing for the situation

Soldato
Especially amusing is seeing a Rolex on a nato, it blows my mind. I'm not sure why you'd choose to strap a cheap looking piece of material to your £5k 'Rolls Royce' of watches.. but ah well.

I usually put on nato because it's more comfortable and also prevents my expensive metal bracelet getting all scratched up. Plus its makes the watch look more casual and less blingy, good when you want to be more low key.

But I prefer the look of a watch on a bracelet over a nato any day of the week.

Timefactor grey nato on my Speedy
20150911_201119-1.jpg

Last edited:
Commissario
Indeed some watches just work well with a NATO. I only ever wear my vintage Seiko diver with one.

seiko-20150911-220241.jpg

I seem to remember that I got the strap from Timefactors some years ago.

The caseback identifies it as a 7002-700A but that should have a blue/red bezel. The very small text either side of the 6 marker say 7002 700R R so I think it's actually a 7002-7000 with the wrong caseback.

Soldato
Indeed some watches just work well with a NATO. I only ever wear my vintage Seiko diver with one.

seiko-20150911-220241.jpg

I seem to remember that I got the strap from Timefactors some years ago.

The caseback identifies it as a 7002-700A but that should have a blue/red bezel. The very small text either side of the 6 marker say 7002 700R R so I think it's actually a 7002-7000 with the wrong caseback.

snap, lovely watch, mine is a modified version,

fSQImfN.jpg

Back
Top Bottom