What watch do you wear?

The majority of smartwatch wearers are not your big wristed type of person though, it's a £1000 smartwatch that will be outdated within 12 months as the competition outpaces it, and at over half the cost.

£1000, for a smartwatch!

Bit of a long shot, but does anyone have any experience of buying watches in Singapore? I'm going in a couple of weeks and might try and pick up my grail watch...the Rolex 116613LB.

You might have trouble finding one in stock, the sports models are very popular in Asia.

Pretty sure the prices went up too so the difference between prices won't be much over going somewhere in Europe if you can get a discount or just buying from a grey import dealer. I get 10% in Italy which is about on par with prices in Japan now and the last time I checked you can walk into the Rolex boutique shop in Milan and get a 5% discount.

I love how all of a sudden people, whom would never contemplate buying a decent swiss watch, even low tier, are now happily spending hundreds on smart watches.

Not so relevant to people on here but a number of my work colleagues are in this position.

I love how all of a sudden people, whom would never contemplate buying a decent swiss watch, even low tier, are now happily spending hundreds on smart watches.

Not so relevant to people on here but a number of my work colleagues are in this position.

Completely different target markets. A £5 watch will tell the time just as a £5000 watch will (obviously with varying levels of quality and accuracy). Therefore a lot of people are loathe to spend more than they need for the practical purpose of telling the time. Smartwatches have a lot more functionality and therefore people can justify the cost.

Interesting to see Tag get into the game though.

That Tag is the only smart watch that has tempted me. However, I would be concerned about the longevity of a smart watch. As someone above mentioned, in 12 months time a newer model would make it seem redundant.

You can only trade up to the new Carrera (made specifically for trade up and uses a similar design to the Connected smartwatch) after 2 years - Which is a limiting factor really, and it costs an additional $1500:

Update: We finally got a hold of the press release for the TAG Heuer Connected and have new info on the watch you will be buying if you choose the trade-up route. According to the press release, TAG Heuer has created a Swiss Made Carrera with a “similar design” to the Connected that is also made of grade 2 titanium and has been “exclusively developed and reserved for owners of connected watches.” This new watch is priced at $1,500, hence the additional $1,500 you will fork out at the end of your 2-year warranty period.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/11/0...the-connected-for-a-mechanical-carrera-watch/

It's still not looking like good value for money, you're essentially throwing away $1500 after 24 months. But people will see the TAG branding alone and buy it no doubt...

Last edited:
You might have trouble finding one in stock, the sports models are very popular in Asia.

Pretty sure the prices went up too so the difference between prices won't be much over going somewhere in Europe if you can get a discount or just buying from a grey import dealer. I get 10% in Italy which is about on par with prices in Japan now and the last time I checked you can walk into the Rolex boutique shop in Milan and get a 5% discount.

I was expecting to see some discounts in Dubai when I went but everything was on par with the UK (more if you consider you're paying VAT in the UK).

IconicWatches seems very well priced in most cases, but apparently one of the best option can be to get in touch with the Rolex boutique at Heathrow terminal 5 and they can get stock in if you want something in particular.

Received this little cutie from russia, 18 quid! Looks lovely, with domed crystal and all.. I'm looking to put it on a NATO -- a patterned one if I can find one; should be fun!

IMG_20151111_150243.jpg

And, this is the 2 new watch day here ;-)

Evidenza arrived. Second hand for 1000 euros. It's really fantastic, the size is just perfect, it's very classy (and a bit blingy) -- the super domed crystal is gorgeous.
Sorry poor artificial light, I'll shoot it properly tomorrow.
_1000641.jpg

And, this is the 2 new watch day here ;-)

Evidenza arrived. Second hand for 1000 euros. It's really fantastic, the size is just perfect, it's very classy (and a bit blingy) -- the super domed crystal is gorgeous.
Sorry poor artificial light, I'll shoot it properly tomorrow.
_1000641.jpg

Love the look of the face, especially with the blue details. Good find!

Back
Top Bottom