• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: What will be your 3 main factors for deciding on your next GPU?

What will be your 3 main deciding factors for your next gpu (ignoring external factors)?

• Total voters
Soldato
The reflections are good and the lighting is improved - But it's not really a night and day difference, of the kind that I've seen in Watch Dogs:Legion.

Judging comparison parts of the video, it looks like there is a cut off point for some RT effects (the cut off is enabled by default) - This is actually a sensible thing to do for objects seen at a distance.

In most games, I will take higher resolution (and antialiasing) over RT effects every time. Definitely true for the Witcher 3. The choice between RT and higher resolution, can be somewhat mitigated by DLSS2/3 or FSR2, certainly optimisation plays a role here.

In the Witcher 3 (Next Gen), I got better results (more stable framerate) on a RTX 3070 8GB, by reducing the resolution to 1440p, rather than setting the resolution to 4K with DLSS/FSR at ultra performance mode. So, I think this game needs some work in this area.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
In that game it's all about the reflections, and it's clear that as long as your GPU is able to stay in the VRAM budget at whatever settings you use, then you're in for a great time sitting above 100fps from even a 2060 and up. And then there are console commands to go beyond Ultra Nightmare and still be able to get above 100fps at 4K with a standard 3080.

In most games just toggling on a single ray traced setting slaps massive fps into last week by comparison.

My point is this, we have a game (maybe others too) that prove all the GFX settings can be left on and the framerate is scary high at all times. The CPU utilisation is so good that it just eats it all up perfectly. There isn't a single AAA game I have seen these last 2 years that have such levels of CPU utilisation that results in superb GPU performance because the GPU isn't having to wait for the CPU to give it the next workload. And Doom Eternal is a massively busy game with a whole lot of CPU intensive particle effects going on at the same time.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Ah but once again, Doom Eternal's RT upgrade didn't cut any corners
:p

Even though I didn't like the gameplay, I marvelled at the way the engine ran with everything maxed.

It is pretty limited RT at least when compared to likes of CP 2077, metro ee, chernobylite, DL 2 etc.

Although it is a very good showcase of RT reflections, at least once you get to the metal/glass building/areas.

Speaking of RT reflections, just completed miles morale and wow, a lot of that game was made with RT reflections in mind, the last few missions especially, combined with HDR and QD-OLED, a sight to behold :cool: Wish there was a way to capture HDR screenshots without them being greyed out when uploading (think a way to convert them before uploading but too much faff!)

Reactions: mrk
Soldato
It is pretty limited RT at least when compared to likes of CP 2077, metro ee, chernobylite, DL 2 etc.

Although it is a very good showcase of RT reflections, at least once you get to the metal/glass building/areas.

Speaking of RT reflections, just completed miles morale and wow, a lot of that game was made with RT reflections in mind, the last few missions especially, combined with HDR and QD-OLED, a sight to behold :cool: Wish there was a way to capture HDR screenshots without them being greyed out when uploading (think a way to convert them before uploading but too much faff!)
It shows how a good efficient implementation of RT can work really well even for RDNA 2 hardware that the consoles have. I feel that as consoles adopt more of these technologies it’s only going to benefit RDNA more and really close that gap. Once RDNA 3 consoles appear then things will get very interesting.

Soldato
It shows how a good efficient implementation of RT can work really well even for RDNA 2 hardware that the consoles have. I feel that as consoles adopt more of these technologies it’s only going to benefit RDNA more and really close that gap. Once RDNA 3 consoles appear then things will get very interesting.

The next consoles will likely be RDNA 4 or 5. Or ARC C or D.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP

Been hearing that for ages now ever since amd first got into consoles :p If anything Nvidia perform better in the lazy console ports and even good ones like all of Sony's.

Consoles are badly due an upgrade/refresh now though.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom