What would Motors do about a trolley ding?

Soldato
Will car insurance even cover this since it doesn't involve your own car (or driver)?

1500 is a joke for wing damage on a beetle though lol. A bit of wing damage doesn't warrant a whole new front end. You'd have to ram the trolley in to it pretty damn hard.

Unless the dents are really deep or creased you could get a PDR man to knock them out for less than 1/4 of that. Then get it repainted if needed.

Last edited:
Soldato
Your son is a maniac, a danger to everyone around him and should be locked up for life, for his blatant dangerous driving!!!

Of course, you DO REALISE that this £1500 is only for the paint job and does not cover all the structural damage done to the vehicle, the damaged electronics packages, the loss of several mobile phones and laptops that were in the boot, as well as all the whiplash that poor woman suffered when he intentionally and recklessly rammed his shopping trolley into her vehicle at high speed.... you DO REALISE this, don't you?

Is your son even trained and qualified in the correct operation of a shopping trolley?

:p

I jest, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone had already tried that.

Get an independent second opinion on the damage.

Man of Honour
I jest, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone had already tried that.

Oh they have as I've probably posted about before one of my colleagues had a minor bump in the car park outside work - several of us saw it and it was really minor - they left a note and the car owner tried to take em for pretty much putting their car as new throughout - last I heard it was still going back and forth as they are now making it as difficult as possible for the other driver. (EDIT: From the bits I've heard I'm beginning to suspect neither of them have insurance but might just be assuming that).

Soldato
Front wing and rear wing?

Tell them you will only offer to pay to repair the damage caused and that is all ridiculous.

Even if the door was being resprayed completely and it required blending (which is silly for damage caused by a trolley), why do you need a new front and rear wing?

The other person is taking the mick or got bad advice. I'm sure I could find an OCUK thread or two where such advice has been given.

Soldato
Front wing and rear wing?

Tell them you will only offer to pay to repair the damage caused and that is all ridiculous.

Even if the door was being resprayed completely and it required blending (which is silly for damage caused by a trolley), why do you need a new front and rear wing?

They are not getting new wings only the paint blended, blending the paint is the correct method if you are spraying the door.

Soldato
They are not getting new wings only the paint blended, blending the paint is the correct method if you are spraying the door.

The OP put it in their parts list. So I don't see how you can assume that.

But even if it is just blending, its a silly repair.

If the damage is minor enough that the other person is unlikely to spend say £500 of their own money repairing it. I'd look to just offer them compensation rather than reimburse a £1500 repair.

Soldato
For bumping into someone's car with a trolley, probably not lol.

I mean she should use her insurance to get it fixed. World sucks, but she can't have a 1500 repair for a tiny dent.
I agree she should but in this world she won't want to upset her insurance rating. We are tending to follow the Americans in suing everyone for everything.
Andi.

Soldato
I agree she should but in this world she won't want to upset her insurance rating. We are tending to follow the Americans in suing everyone for everything.
Andi.

I think it would be pretty difficult to sue someone over this tbh. A kid did it and she didn't tell her insurer about the damage. They would probably just throw it out.

Soldato
Thing is, if it was your almost new car, you'd of course be insisting that it gets repaired at the best place possible.

It's a tough one really. I think all you can do is say that's very steep, can they get a second quote from another approved bodyshop. But i'd be bracing yourself for a similar quote.

Sure. If it was an insurance thing I would. But a kid making a small trolley ding, in a 4 year old beetle? Nope, wouldn't entertain the thought of asking someone for £1500 for that. It was a kid after-all. Sure, I'd get a quote from the VW approved bodyshop in case it was reasonable, but getting back £1500 I'd have laughed my way right out the door, and never for a second thought to actually ask for that much. I'd be straight onto google looking for a local chips away / dent devils type outfit and getting a quote from them. MAYBE, see a local detailler and see what they can do.

End of the day, the car is 4 years old. There is probably a similar dent on the other door too. That someone never bothered to inform about.

Tell her to to use her insurance, it's what it's for and offer some money to cover any increase in premium, say £200.

This too. I'd be telling her you didn't have the money for that, and was expecting the repair to only be a couple hundred quid tops. And that she should claim through her car insurance, and you will cover the excess (assuming that is set to a reasonable amount and not something stupid like £1500). Otherwise, you can arrange a dent devil or someone to come have a look and see if they can fix it. And if none of that is suitable, she can take you to court (then change your phone number and email address).

Back
Top Bottom