What would Motors do about a trolley ding?

Associate
In this situation, I'd apologise to her, say accidents happen, & tell her to claim on her insurance.
Depending on the degree to which you think she is trying to take advantage of your honest good nature, I might still offer to pay her excess if sub £200.

Soldato
I was searching for information on the repercussions and it is actually really hard to hold the parent of a child accountable for damage.

https://www.inbrief.co.uk/child-law/child-accidents-compensation-liability/

I reckon I'd give them a chance to come up with a reasonable quote.

Otherwise I guess the official way they would go about it is to pay out of their own pocket (to prove an expense) and then reclaim it off the OP if they can. The other option is for them to claim on insurance and then the insurance company to try and recover from the OP if they can. They won't do either of these as there isn't actually £1500 worth of damage.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I was searching for information on the repercussions and it is actually really hard to hold the parent of a child accountable for damage.

https://www.inbrief.co.uk/child-law/child-accidents-compensation-liability/

I reckon I'd give them a chance to come up with a reasonable quote.

Otherwise I guess the official way they would go about it is to pay out of their own pocket (to prove an expense) and then reclaim it off the OP if they can. The other option is for them to claim on insurance and then the insurance company to try and recover from the OP if they can. They won't do either of these as there isn't actually £1500 worth of damage.

Good read, thanks, however it goes on to say that

However, if a parent was negligent in, for instance, allowing the child’s actions that caused harm or injury, or for failing to prevent the incident – the parent could be held liable.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
My door blew into a car parked next to mine while I was putting our son in his push chair. Caught a 7 month old Seat Leon right on the crease of the door. I did the right thing and left a note on the car with my number.

The owner was understanding and in the end it cost me £180 for a full door respray direct with Seat. £1500 is crazy money in comparison.

Soldato
Someone reversed into me at <5mph in a car park, which left a few scuff marks. All I asked of him was to pay me £40 for a paint chip repair set. At a push I would have claimed for a £250 smart repair. But £1500?? That is outrageous. I think tell the owner for a second (cheaper)quote, otherwise that they'll you will retract the offer of paying for the repair, so they will have to claim on the insurance for it.

I am all for putting your hands up and admitting fault and doing the right thing by offering to pay for it, but not if it's unreasonable to that extent.

Soldato
I had 3 panels on my Leon Cupra resprayed when someone key'd it for less than that (£900 to respray 3 panels along the drivers side and blend). This was at an VAG approved body shop also.

Same as above, tell her she is taking the **** and go through insurance. You have done a good thing and offered to pay when most people would just walk, and as a result she has taken the ****.

Soldato
OP
UPDATE:

I emailed last night and explained that I hoped she too would have thought the £1500 was excessive given a 4yo accidentally dinged her car. I asked if she would be willing to provide further quotes from places that would also guarantee the repair which she has replied to positively, so let's see where we go from here.

Underboss
Eldest son went to put an empty trolley back for me at our local supermarket. In doing so, he knocked into the drivers door (edge) of a MY15 VW Beetle. The owner was in the car at the time.

Apologetic about the incident, myself and said son apologised and offered to put right any damage. We exchange mobile numbers and off we went.

A call came in a few days ago to advise that she had taken the car to a VW approved repair centre and would be forwarding on their quote for repair. I gave her my email address so that she could pass on the info.

Thoughts?

that was upto them, not you

you do not have to pay that, its not a legal binding contract

Soldato
UPDATE:

I emailed last night and explained that I hoped she too would have thought the £1500 was excessive given a 4yo accidentally dinged her car. I asked if she would be willing to provide further quotes from places that would also guarantee the repair which she has replied to positively, so let's see where we go from here.

I hope common sense prevails here. Trolley dings are pretty much what keep mobile paint repair guys in business. I think if the recipient of such a ding is insistent on going with the VW approved quote, I'd be telling them to claim on their insurance. In fact, I think I'd be quite blunt and say: I can't afford £1500.

Soldato
Yeah, I’d refuse to pay that and say if they want me to pay for it, they need to get it done somewhere cheaper.

I’d also offer them something I offered someone who dinged my car. We both went to a local body shop, where he was offering to pay for the damage. I think the repair quote was something like £300. I took £200 in cash from him instead.

How old is the son? Not sure I noticed the age specifically, not that it matters directly.

This isn't a car insurance thing (for you), its a public liability thing.

Personally if it was my car and a dent devils type repair was a thing that would be my preference. The more parts of modern cars that are removed the more chance of a dodgy clip or something and a new rattle or something in future.
When you start taking interior out and door cards etc you in dangerous areas for the future.

If I was the owner of that garage i would be seeing if I could get a dent repair done and then bill for the lot. Could be a really easy win there ;)

Oh edit it was a 4 year old. In that case i think you need to think more about letting them loose in any way around supermarket car parks. People often drive like douches round them for some reason.

I had a 6 inch down into the plastic scratch in my old car. The works fire engine hit it whilst we were outside for a fie alarm. Loads of people saw it happen (as did I), my car physically moved as it was caught. Chips away fixed it, cost iirc £200+vat. Couldnt tell it had happened once fixed which took a day. That was metallic paint as well. He said he could tell it had been done, but no one outside the trade.

In order to try to mitigate it, why not ask if its possible to try chips away/ dent devils etc.
If they can do it, then say you will pay that plus maybe £100 for her trouble.

When I had mine done I had to send photos, they then rang and asked questions, they never came to inspect prior to day of repair. They gave me two choices, repair at mine, or their preferred solution, they would come and pick my car up, take it to their workshop and bring it back repaired, I went for the later, far prefer a day long repair in a workshop than a half day at the roadside.

Last edited:
Soldato
Wait.... It was your FOUR YEAR OLD KID? That accidentally bumped the trolley into her car?

Tell her to **** ***.

Yes I'm sure you'd appreciate someone's child slamming a trolley into your car, only for the parents to tell you to f off. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom