What's the best supermarket sausage?

Caporegime
isnt it amazing how far aldi have came in the last 13 years.

i remember when the only good thing about aldi were the well known german brands they used to sell and everything else was crap lol

i was quite shocked when i recieved some aldi choclate at christmas and it tasted really nice :O had a trip over and found to my suprise there quality all round was the complete oposite of what it once was

Caporegime
I like Tesco Finest range. Their Pork and Leek/Apple sausages are a really good everyday sausage. .

Yeah I use the same as an everyday sausage. The pork and leek ones are great on the bbq too. Pretty much all of that range I like.

30 minutes on the lowest heat on the hob turning slowly, really slow cooking them, they are fantastic.

They used to be 3 packs for a £5, I used to stock up. Sadly they are 2 for £4.50 now. They used to do a bag of 12 frozen for £2.99, gutted they stopped that.

Soldato
I refuse to buy any sausages with below 70% pork content.

same, i used to be quite happy with the basics stuff but i've gotten far fussier. From the supermarket the Sainsburys Taste the Difference one with the apple is nice but in my fridge currently I've got a couple of packs of their Ultimate pork sausage which is 97%pork iirc.

Man of Honour
Yeap, the higher the pork content the better. I like the plain Tesco finest ones (90%+) and their pork and leek ones. Lovely jubbly.

We used to have a butchers around here. It recently closed down. :(

Soldato
If i did buy meat from a supermarket i'd go to waitrose or m&s.
Wouldn't touch tescos or asda, any of them, all water and cheap cuts in a fancy pack, not worth the money you pay for them. Keep telling my parents but they like my discount to much to pull away from the rubbish.

The butchers is where it's at, either bloody lovelys from highworth butchers or whatever the guy in cricklade has on

Last edited:
Associate
man up

article-0-017E966D00000578-617_233x264.jpg

Soldato
I only get the butchers choice (Sainsburies) ones. My parents used to buy all sorts of different ones but these were my favourites. They even got some of those organic high meat content ones, but I prefer these cheap ones tbh!

Permabanned
Got Sainsbury's Butcher's Choice Cumberlands tonight. Using them in the slow-cooker with onions, mushrooms and a Colman's sausage casserole mix.

Associate
Currently cooking the Lincolnshire Vegetarian Sausages from Cauldren Foods. Much nicer than the Quorn Sausages and available in a Cumberland variety too. Worth a try.

daz

daz

Soldato
Are those Powters'? I think they're more widely available - can get them in Tescos around Cambridge too. In Newmarket there are two butchers; I definately prefer Eric Tennant's special sausages over the Powters' ones

Yeah in the supermarkets in the East Anglia area, they're more widely available. Rest of the country though, I think it's just Waitrose. I always forget which ones are the best though... they're both very good and when I go home to visit I always try to pick up a couple of packs of each. :)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Currently cooking the Lincolnshire Vegetarian Sausages from Cauldren Foods. Much nicer than the Quorn Sausages and available in a Cumberland variety too. Worth a try.
I like them too, the girl isn't so keen on them though.

Tonight I had wild venison sausages from the Village Sausage Shop, sautéd potatoes and buttery pea purée. The girl had cheddar and spinach veggie sausages from the same shop. Both thoroughly satisfied :)

Back
Top Bottom