What's your weekly flutter?

Caporegime
I’ve always thought physical scratch cards are probably the best bet (at least, as far as Lottery products go).

They start at fixed odds which in theory should improve as more tickets are bought around the country. Unlike the online scratch cards, in which each game has the same odds. And the jackpot odds for scratch cards are better than the ball-draw games from the outset. Ok, it’s still in the 1:4m range but better than 1:140m or whatever it is for the Euromillions.

Now, a £5 scratch card might only net £1m jackpot vs two chances of £100m+ for the Euros at £2.50, but the odds are better (even if they are still stupidly long).

Yes and no.

The "no" is because this is (potentially) flawed, at least at face value, there isn't any theory that says your odds should improve as more tickets are sold, the jackpot(s) are as likely to be in the first 10% of scratchcards sold as it is in the last 10% sold. In the former case, the remaining scratchcards are still sold even though there is then 0 chance of winning the jackpot(s).

The "yes" is because what you've said can be true but only if you add in additional information i.e. if you know the big prizes are still available then your odds have improved:

This site scrapes that data and assigns a rating to different games:

Caporegime
Meeting went well this morning, pretty long at over 90 minutes too. First £10K should be hitting my account tomorrow directly from Camelot, then next month the annuity starts and I'll receive £10,320.14p for the next 29 years and 11 months. :o

Oh, what's with the £320.14p?

You mentioned you have an annuity but I'd assumed if they're advertising 10k a month they'd simply pay you 10k a month, can you also sell the annuity if you want to?

Soldato
Yes and no.

The "no" is because this is (potentially) flawed, at least at face value, there isn't any theory that says your odds should improve as more tickets are sold, the jackpot(s) are as likely to be in the first 10% of scratchcards sold as it is in the last 10% sold. In the former case, the remaining scratchcards are still sold even though there is then 0 chance of winning the jackpot(s).

The "yes" is because what you've said can be true but only if you add in additional information i.e. if you know the big prizes are still available then your odds have improved:

This site scrapes that data and assigns a rating to different games:

That’s true. The National Lottery websites gets updated once per day with the number of remaining jackpot cards in circulation, and once they’re all gone they stop distributing new rolls of cards for that game, so as long as you check on the website before buying you can make an educated guess as to whether it’s worth it or not.

If the game has been around for a while and there’s still 3 of 5 jackpot cards available, then it’s more likely than a fairly “fresh” game that is already down to the final card.

That website is interesting though, I haven’t seen that before.

Soldato
Oh, what's with the £320.14p?

You mentioned you have an annuity but I'd assumed if they're advertising 10k a month they'd simply pay you 10k a month, can you also sell the annuity if you want to?
I think the the extra £320.14 is to do with tax meaning if you're a top 46% (Scotland) tax payer you'd still get the straight £10K a month. The reason why they pay it out in an annuity is to guarantee the income if Camelot went bust. So I was told. Can't sell it as it states it has no cash value but if the annuity provider goes bust then it's covered 100% by the FSCS.

Last edited:
Soldato
10k per month. I'd be putting all of it into property.
Thats quite a few BTL that will bring in more than 10K a month in rent and your not reducing your winnings.
Its guaranteed money coming in. Better than any risk you get when applying for a mortgage with a job youve had since 16.
Invest in BTL and spend the excess rental on whatever you want.
Dont spend the money you get from camelot on yourself
make every penny work for more
Thats how the rich get richer

Soldato
Thats quite a few BTL that will bring in more than 10K a month in rent and your not reducing your winnings.
Its guaranteed money coming in. Better than any risk you get when applying for a mortgage with a job youve had since 16.
I couldn't be bothered with the potential of annoying tennant's that don't pay. Unless you pay someone to manage it all.
Guess it depends on age, if young it would be good, as it won't last till retirement.

Soldato

Funny thing is, even if the houses bring in £10k a month, he still had the actual £10k a month coming in also!

Soldato
I’d still have to work part time, or take up a hobby of some description to keep me busy.

Well I'm retired now, and I'm totally happy to never have to work again, ever.

It's great going to bed whenever I like and not have to worry about sleeping in and being late for work!

I can keep busy enough, trying to find lots of things not to do! :p

I've never understood big lottery winners still staying on in work.

Different strokes, different folks, I guess.

Soldato
Funny thing is, even if the houses bring in £10k a month, he still had the actual £10k a month coming in also!
Not if he was using the winning £10k on BTL mortgages. But at least he'll still have 10k per month coming in AND have a nice BTL portfolio.
You invest the capital and spend the earnings. Dont spend the capital

Soldato
I couldn't be bothered with the potential of annoying tennant's that don't pay. Unless you pay someone to manage it all.
Guess it depends on age, if young it would be good, as it won't last till retirement.
Thats why you rent out via a decent rental firm. Or you can rent via councils that then pretty much pay for the upkeep too. Might be slightly below Market but no hassle

Soldato
Not sure how old Lee is but I’m sure he’ll manage on just the £10k/month. No point trying to be the richest man in the graveyard.
Why would he be in the graveyard?
And its about setting up not just yourself but your future generations.
10k per month is not a lot of money. Being careful it can set you up for life.
Most people here will live around their means.
Its very easy to have outgoings that will swallow up a massive portion of that 10k per month
And dont forget that 10k per month stays at 10k per month. Even with modest inflation. Best scenario he only loses 2% a year. Currently its a lot more than that

Last edited:
Soldato

If I go down the BTL route I'd probably get an agent to deal with it all for me although that will mean less income for me.

Back
Top Bottom