WhatsApp Down?

Soldato
Genuine question though, can anyone access BBC news, royal mail, their online banking... Or anything other than Google and these forums? :cry:

Yes, Facebook and associated apps are the only things I can't get onto, the rest of the internet is fine for me (Virgin Media)

Soldato
Genuine question though, can anyone access BBC news, royal mail, their online banking... Or anything other than Google and these forums? :cry:

The news and online banking (tried with the app) are ok here, I don't have any SM anyway. Apart from WhatsApp, I probably wouldn't have known about it if it wasn't for OcUK :p

Capodecina
Soldato
OP

Depends. I'm in the uni library using their internet and it's all fine apart from the Zuckerberk empire.

On my phone, which uses EE, I'm having trouble connecting to a lot of sites.

Soldato
How do nameservers get resolved?

The nameservers for facebook.com are:
A.NS.FACEBOOK.COM
B.NS.FACEBOOK.COM
C.NS.FACEBOOK.COM
D.NS.FACEBOOK.COM

How does the address of a nameserver get resolved when it's on the same domain as the address it holds the records for?

Think you use glue or something :o

Soldato
So how does that happen then?

Someone pushes out a fudged configuration that bodges peering to FB's network; some poor SOB's then need to get onsite (unless them have remote access but i would assume not in this case due to time frame) to fix said issue.

Edit - Someone, supposedly from FB, commented on Reddit that it was a BGP config issue...
s5ahGf0.png

Soldato
Could you all clarify this for my relatively untechnical brain? In brief, it sounds as though Facebook have pointed everything to one server which has gone down, so nobody there can access anything. Is that right? And if so, am I right in thinking that that's a bit of a shambles?

Soldato
Could you all clarify this for my relatively untechnical brain? In brief, it sounds as though Facebook have pointed everything to one server which has gone down, so nobody there can access anything. Is that right? And if so, am I right in thinking that that's a bit of a shambles?

There will be someone trying to blame the last IT guy to leave the room, at this very moment.

Soldato
Someone pushes out a fudged configuration that bodges peering to FB's network; some poor SOB's then need to get onsite (unless them have remote access but i would assume not in this case due to time frame) to fix said issue.

Edit - Someone, supposedly from FB, commented on Reddit that it was a BGP config issue...
s5ahGf0.png

rqhgMb3.png

Back
Top Bottom