WhatsApp Down?

Soldato
Someone pushes out a fudged configuration that bodges peering to FB's network; some poor SOB's then need to get onsite (unless them have remote access but i would assume not in this case due to time frame) to fix said issue.

Edit - Someone, supposedly from FB, commented on Reddit that it was a BGP config issue...
s5ahGf0.png
For those unaware of the beauty that the BGP protocol is, give it a quick Google.

Soldato
Could you all clarify this for my relatively untechnical brain? In brief, it sounds as though Facebook have pointed everything to one server which has gone down, so nobody there can access anything. Is that right? And if so, am I right in thinking that that's a bit of a shambles?

Someone (numpty engineer) scrubbed out Facebook (it's entire network and services) from the internet's phonebook and now no one (the internet) knows where they exist.

The shambles is that, supposedly, there isn't folk (with the know how) onsite to handle this issue (as it's likely managed remotely) so FB are scrambling to get everyone together to fix the problem which is why it's likely taken a fair while to resolve rather than a "quick" fix it probably should have been.

rqhgMb3.png

I did see that; either it's BS info or someone higher up (in FB) spotted it and had a moan to the incident/recovery team.

Last edited:
Soldato
Someone (numpty engineer) scrubbed out Facebook (it's entire network and services) from the internet's phonebook and now no one (the internet) knows where they exist.

The shambles is that, supposedly, there isn't folk (with the know how) onsite to handle this issue (as it's likely managed remotely) so FB are scrambling to get everyone together to fix the problem which is why it's likely taken a fair while to resolve rather than a "quick" fix it probably should have been.
Begs the question why there isn't a $70/month DSL router connected for out of band* access.

Last edited:
Soldato

Christ, it's Angus Higgins!

Soldato

I did see that; either it's BS info or someone higher up (in FB) spotted it and had a moan to the incident/recovery team.
Excellent - good to know that one of the biggest sites on the internet is in safe hands. Long live the OCUK forums!

Back
Top Bottom