When are you going fully electric?

Might be interested in buying EV as our next family car but know nothing about them.

Personally, I'd look at leasing - at least for a few years - in your situation. Keep an eye out for good deals and just take one that fits your requirements when it comes around, that way you can buy one with a better knowledge of what EVs are like next time around. Also, it seems to me likely that current EVs are going to hold their value very poorly so buying is going to be a risky proposition right now. If you get a good leasing offer, it doesn't cost any more than the depreciation, etc. will.

This two R5-E models are the entry level models -the quicker one is still to come. So the 80's Turbo comparison can wait
It's excepted to start from about £25k.

People asked for slower, cheaper and smaller EV's - this is it.
If you want faster and larger then there are many other EV options out there !

i hope the R5 a good car, there is something about it looks wise which really appeals to me. on the whole i am not a big fan of retro inspired cars, but this is one of a few exceptions (i would also love to see a remake of the datsun 240z (and the nissan 370z is kind of that) but i digress

Last edited:
Do you really need the heat pump in the UK unless you are in Scotland. We don’t get cold enough weather for long enough to justify the cost of a HP.
Heat pumps are a more efficient way to heat the EV. That's it's simplest use case. In more sophisticated installations it can exchange heat between various systems to save on using the main tractive battery. Adds about 10% range to the Model 3 for example compared to the earlier models with only a resistive heating element. The cost could be offset with a smaller main battery plus the compounded benefits from the weight reduction.

Last edited:
It’s a bespoke platform for it. If Ford want to use the brand equity in Mustang for their own cars… crack on.

ALERT: Car maker trying to make money makes cars.

#DailyMash report

No it's not. It's a modified version of the same platform used on a bunch of mundane Ford crossovers.

The Mustang coupes (the real Mustangs) are bespoke.

Last edited:
I've put a deposit on an e:NY1 for delivery in March. I've wanted an EV for a while for urban use and a deal came up that made sense. It doesn't get the best reviews but it's a reasonable size and has an ok range for what I need so I'm quite looking forward to it.

It’s a bespoke platform for it. If Ford want to use the brand equity in Mustang for their own cars… crack on.

ALERT: Car maker trying to make money makes cars.

#DailyMash report
i sort of get where he is coming from... when i 1st saw it my 1st thought was also, that it didnt really fit the mould of a mustang... its just an electric SUV with a grill which looks a bit like a mustang.
(i was actually disappointed because i would love to see an actual electric version of the current mustang, with proper low slung muscle car looks)

but that said it IS a mustang because that is what ford are calling it. i mean there are zero parts used in the ICE version of the newest mustang which were in the original car, so really who are we to say what can and cant be a "proper" mustang. should the only true mustang be the original version 1 from the 1960s?

Also loads of cars share the same platform.

my fiat coupe was not a fiat tipo despite being on a shared platform and my 350z shared with the (butt ugly) infinity QX70............ it doesnt mean they were the same car however.

Last edited:
Personally, I'd look at leasing - at least for a few years - in your situation. Keep an eye out for good deals and just take one that fits your requirements when it comes around, that way you can buy one with a better knowledge of what EVs are like next time around. Also, it seems to me likely that current EVs are going to hold their value very poorly so buying is going to be a risky proposition right now. If you get a good leasing offer, it doesn't cost any more than the depreciation, etc. will.
Thanks for your thoughts! Not worth looking at used ones ?

Thanks for your thoughts! Not worth looking at used ones ?

It could be. But: the EV market has opened up an awful lot in a very short space of time. The number of EV options has exploded from a couple of choices to dozens of good choices in various styles of car in a very short space of time, so I feel like the used market right now isn't a great place to be. On the hand, it's certainly worth looking to see if there's options that meet your requirements at a good price before committing to other options.

Might need to do a bit more research on HP's, as i was under the impression it made a big difference in winter (<0c) on longer runs.

It probably does, for some points of view, but it's unlikely to be worth it money wise. Annual charging costs for UK drivers are somewhere around £400, I believe, whilst heat pumps are options often costing around £1k. Is it really going to save you enough money each year to pay for itself in the time you have the car? Seems unlikely to me, although I can't find the numbers needed to be sure about that. Also, how often is it below zero where you are? Obviously the numbers get better the colder it is and the more you need to heat the car.

Last edited:
Might need to do a bit more research on HP's, as i was under the impression it made a big difference in winter (<0c) on longer runs.
Think it the coldest weather they still rely on a resistive heater tbh. Hardly worth the cost as they don’t add much to reduce running costs. Just adds more range.

But a £1000 option you have to question if really needed

wonder how r5 saved 200KG+ versus the id3/born - eu chinese chassis design with stronger steels, even if bmw i3 carbon fibre too expensive.

Compared to a 2T+ ev r5 w/ similar tyres, can take those bendy things, we have in Cambs, with more margin, or 15% faster.
It’s much smaller for a start…

No idea what the second bit means. Are you talking about a car that was announced today having a 15% higher corner speed than something else ?

Last edited:
Think it the coldest weather they still rely on a resistive heater tbh. Hardly worth the cost as they don’t add much to reduce running costs. Just adds more range.

But a £1000 option you have to question if really needed
MY22.5 Zoe has a heat pump and a PTC (earlier models might as well I don't know) so I expect the R5 will have that as well.

Anyone else order the eny1
I've put a deposit on an e:NY1 for delivery in March. I've wanted an EV for a while for urban use and a deal came up that made sense. It doesn't get the best reviews but it's a reasonable size and has an ok range for what I need so I'm quite looking forward to it.
i sent two of my mates that link who both ordered. Have they took your deposit /confirmed the order yet

Anyone else order the eny1

i sent two of my mates that link who both ordered. Have they took your deposit /confirmed the order yet
They've taken my deposit and said paperwork will follow this evening. Not seen anything yet but I guess they are overwhelmed with the amount of paperwork they need to generate today.

Back
Top Bottom