When are you going fully electric?

On the heatpump topic, ive just been looking at ABRP for one of my regular trips to scotland, its a round trip of ~420 miles. Im using live weather and traffic data, and it looks like the Heatpump makes little to no difference on some of the cars ive been looking at. Im not overly sure on how accurate the data is though. But its a widely used app so shouldnt be wildly off the mark i would have thought.

ID5 HP Energy used 148.7KWh AVG consumption 345Wh/mi
ID5 STD 148.7KWh 345Wh/mi
Enyaq Coupe 80x 157.7KWh 364Wh/mi
Enyaq Coupe 80x HP 157.7KWh 364Wh/mi
ID7 pro 139.1KWh 334Wh/mi
ID7 pro Heatpump 138.9KWh 334Wh/mi

Clear winner is the Tesla 2024 M3 LR, Energy used 112.9KWh & AVG consumption is 271Wh/mi (2023 LR is 127.7KWh & 307Wh/mi). Elon and his bloomin witchcraftery :p

Clear winner is the Tesla 2024 M3 LR, Energy used 112.9KWh & AVG consumption is 271Wh/mi (2023 LR is 127.7KWh & 307Wh/mi). Elon and his bloomin witchcraftery :p

It's a shame more aren't as efficient, prior to the Model 3 and class leading for a similar sized vehicle is the OG Ioniq 28kWh and the 38KWh, which I have, I have no idea why other manufacturers or indeed Hyundai themselves don't seem to be able to replicate the previous design and performance from this perspective, weird really when batteries play such a large part of the cost and burden on the warranty.

Tiny little wheels, small battery and light body structure for this. I dont think the Ioniq OG was a big seller anyway. Its a bit like my Insight, efficiency master isnt sexy.

You can't engineer out road load. But credit where its due, most people could be driving around in two of those for every Ioniq5 made.

now get to see the inside of the r5 - android automotive (still) looks great

The interior was on the initial embargo release videos, why has it took you so long to see it.
[
or $$$ ix2 - seems to be a saloon height, so, not far from i4
]

Yes it “seems” to be saloon height…
Other than its taller than an IPACE. :cry:

Yeah, sorry, didn't spot it as August 2023. The timing of that sticks. I PCP'd our i3 as I figured new tech would make its range obsolete and I didn't want to be holding on to it. Aug '23 was pivotal as my fears happened due to the big drops in all EVs. However, our conclusion was we still loved the i3 and it wasn't an issue. We'll buy it at the end of it's PCP.

She ended up somewhere using a guest rate at 80 odd pence per KWh :(

Almost double the price of her Audi charging sub price.

Genuinely is consumer hell trying to charge in public at times. Driving round for 20 minutes checking different chargers, finding they’re full, don’t have the right plug or just not working.
Failing to plan the charge stop is the problem here.
As it stands now, unless you have a Tesla - you can't expect to reliably use the in-car app guidance to send you to a fast, working and available charger.

If you need to use public charging often, in different places, then it's wise to get a Telsa. Else, before the trip, spend 5-10 mins on ZapMap pre-planning a few charging options and these can be checked on the mobile app just before you get there to ensure one is available. If it isn't then you drive to the next one on your list.

Pre-planning charging has always worked for me and 9 times out of 10 the first changing site is available.

Without planning you'll end up like one of those YouTube 'EV charge fail' click-bait videos. Where you're driving around getting frustrated only finding 7 kWh chargers on the roadside, or a series of broken units :p
If you do the same long trip often then you get to know which charging sites are the best to use.

Occasionally you might get caught in an emergency situation and need to pay double the charging cost, but this is a very infrequent one-off higher cost.

Last edited:
Good though if you are in the market for a 1 year old one though. Absolutely bonkers how much you get for your money at the moment, glad I waited until last month before buying as I'd been thinking about it for the last year and a bit but held off.
Yeah, those who bought in 2022 at 'peak' must be smarting when things came down in 2023.. we bought in Sept 2021 and had 12 months where the car was still worth more than we paid at trade prices.. only in 2023 did it drop down to its predicted residual value.. Which means anyone who bought in 2022, especially late 2022 dipped out and must be smarting..

As a side note, glad to see the AT price tracker working again.. it really highlights the drop in prices on some EVs that have been sat around since October last year..

which for those of us who are happy to buy end of lease 2nd hand cars, its great!

I get why people would think twice about buying a brand new EV (or any car for that matter) with their own cash........... but a few years ago the major complaint was EVs were too expensive and there were no remotely affordable 2nd hand EVs with usable range or decent quality.

now the market has heaps of EVs which are in brilliant condition, proper practical and are a fraction of their new price and trading blows with ICE cars (but usually at a higher spec than the ICE equivalents).

for the 2nd hand canny buyer how is this not brilliant news?

Last edited:
which for those of us who are happy to buy end of lease 2nd hand cars, its great!

I get why people would think twice about buying a brand new EV (or any car for that matter) with their own cash........... but a few years ago the major complaint was EVs were too expensive and there were no remotely affordable 2nd hand EVs with usable range or decent quality.

now the market has heaps of EVs which are in brilliant condition, proper practical and are a fraction of their new price and trading blows with ICE cars (but usually at a higher spec than the ICE equivalents).

for the 2nd hand canny buyer how is this not brilliant news?
I agree, I nearly bought an eTron a few months ago because they are so cheap. In 2 years time once my E:NY1 goes back I'll be in the market for another EV as a second car and I have no doubt there will be a huge amount to choose from.

Yeah, those who bought in 2022 at 'peak' must be smarting when things came down in 2023.. we bought in Sept 2021 and had 12 months where the car was still worth more than we paid at trade prices.. only in 2023 did it drop down to its predicted residual value.. Which means anyone who bought in 2022, especially late 2022 dipped out and must be smarting..

As a side note, glad to see the AT price tracker working again.. it really highlights the drop in prices on some EVs that have been sat around since October last year..

Its isnt just EVs though. Was looking at R8s yesterday and they are dropping £2k per month and still not selling. CoL crisis finally biting?

Back
Top Bottom