When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
I love the Ioniq 5 just on looks alone.. the 80s pixel / cyberpunk styling is great..

But I have come to realise I'm in the minority!
i am with you, i think the ionic 5 looks fantastic (i far prefer it looks wise over the 6) but beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that.

what i really would love to see on the road is that hyundai nvision 74 concept (preferably as a battery EV)

Last edited:
Soldato
Changes the dynamic quite a bit then. IMO company car drivers were the worst people to push EVs onto.

Very few of the benefits of having an EV would apply to them.
By slashing their entire vehicle running costs by 90%... sounds like quite a benefit!

Don't forget that having the company 'pay for all your fuel' comes with a hefty BIK tax implication. Almost the same as the BIK on the car in some cases.

Soldato
as is the Ioniq 6). ;)
I go between loving the looks of the 6, and not liking it. I had a look at one at the Hyundai store in Bluewater - and it looked good under the lights.

However it is waaaay to small in the rear. No way you'd get full grown adults in the back without giving them a neck ache. The rear seats are too high (I guess due to the shared platforms battery design) for such a low roof line.

Soldato
This place is clearly full of eliteist egotistical know it-alls, you guys are so narrow minded and self-induldged on a whole that you cannot see the forest for the trees.

I started a discussion openly about my negative experience using my wifes car and the reasons behind my opinions and thoughts, yet my opinions and points are just being poo-poo'd by the majority..............

Pretty sure people didn't want to come across like that :)
You posted EV & charging related issues and people suggested solutions based on many years experience of running EV's, experiencing the same problems and also, some people work in the car and energy industry sectors.

e.g.

Your post on this....

the grid as it is cannot cope with the that level of charging cars on a nightly cycle. I wonder hoe much more power will have to be generated from "dirty" means vs now which for argument sake, pulling a random number could be 25% is clean energy, as the demand sky rockets the clean energy production I think could lower down to maybe 5% when we need more power overall from the grid, then how will it affect the grid emissions numbers?

^ I know this to be completely wrong because I manage the National Grid New Connections Team :)
1) Grid can cope with the current level of charging on the nightly cycle.
2) We are on a trajectory to have 50GW of offshore wind by 2050 - that's a lot of capacity for EV (and battery storage) charging overnight when it's windy !
3) 60GWh of battery storage to help cover the less windy periods :)

Last edited:
Associate
Pretty sure people didn't want to come across like that :)
You posted EV & charging related issues and people suggested solutions based on many years experience of running EV's, experiencing the same problems and also, some people work in the car and energy industry sectors.

e.g.

Your post on this....

^ I know this to be completely wrong because I manage the National Grid New Connections Team :)
1) Grid can cope with the current level of charging on the nightly cycle.
2) We are on a trajectory to have 50GW of offshore wind by 2050 - that's a lot of capacity for EV (and battery storage) charging overnight when it's windy !
3) 60GWh of battery storage to help cover the less windy periods :)
Is that hydro dam in Wales still in use, was told it used to be on standby for big TV events when millions of kettles are expected to be turned on.

Sure water was released at peak time and then pumped back later.

Would this be of any use for future EV peak times?

Caporegime
Left my 4.0 v8 ICE (relevant information apparently although it has 4 seats) and just did 200 miles on an empty motorway at 75mph without stopping in an ID4 77kWh. Right car for the job..

But I’m an EV elistist

Last edited:
Soldato
ev-database can't be trusted for ranges - at least bmw edrive40 range is overestimated versus bmw data 370/317km, -10c/110kmh

53573914746_598bcc74e6_o_d.jpg

Caporegime
ev-database can't be trusted for ranges - at least bmw edrive40 range is overestimated versus bmw data 370/317km, -10c/110kmh

Do you have a summary of the links so I can understand the point being made ?

Again experience trumps Google and predictions. You got any yet ?

Soldato
Is that hydro dam in Wales still in use, was told it used to be on standby for big TV events when millions of kettles are expected to be turned on.

There won’t be EV peak times. EVs are the way to manage peak power demand for maximum energy yield from the uk power capacity. An EV is 3 electric kettles running for 4 hours. How is that a peak?

Soldato

Yes, it’s in use but no it’s no use for charging EVs because it’s used to cover the existing tea time peak. This is the exact point then the grid is typically the using the most expensive and is dirtiest power available.

The electricity it produces is very expensive because it’s pumped storage rather than a hydroelectric damn. The water is pumped to the top overnight and then released when needed to cover the evening peak or in an emergency if a power station disconnects unexpectedly.

The answer is to charge cars when the grid is cheaper and cleaner and to incentivise this via pricing.

If you want to charge your car at 5.30pm that’s fine but you should be prepared to pay £lol/kwh as that’s how much the marginal electricity costs at that time of night. Overnight the cost can be negative if there is too much wind and they pay you to charge.

Soldato
So with e-Niro and others with frontal charging ports, if you shunt the car at the front end, you will loose the ability to charge the car and possibly write the car off?

Is that an insurance group thing?

Soldato
ev-database can't be trusted for ranges - at least bmw edrive40 range is overestimated versus bmw data
I can't comment on that car but it's been incredibly accurate for the cars I have experience of, a little bit pessimistic for UK winters but not so much that it matters (and that is likely because our winters are not as severe as what that is based on). if you have experience of a car and know it is wrong then perhaps there is an issue with that specific car and the database needs updating (possible!) but I don't think it is fair to throw shade on it because of one bad datapoint......

Caporegime
So with e-Niro and others with frontal charging ports, if you shunt the car at the front end, you will loose the ability to charge the car and possibly write the car off?

Is that an insurance group thing?
Replace the charge connector with the other bits that get replaced.

Soldato

EVDB is a guideline that gives you a reasonable range breakdown in different road types and conditions. It is not the only source for EV data and should be part of a persons research, not the only source. But even if you are crap at research just a quick google on EV range will lead you to plenty of sources to give you range numbers that are far closer to reality than the WLTP or EPA ratings.

I have lots of sympathy for the people who have a moan getting bitten by the public charging issues, or even when their car/satnav/charging app acts up. I start to lose that sympathy when they come on internet EV forums or threads and start moaning about falling for the marketing, or not knowing about winter impact on EV range. That sounds harsh but if you are on the actual internet in an unadvertised or obscure EV forum, then it shows three things.

1. You clearly have access to the internet or you wouldn’t be here.
2. The fact you are on an EV forum shows you have the ability to search for EV info on the internet.
3. If you or a friend/relative had access to these tools when you bought your EV, then why didn’t you do some actual research on your very expensive EV and or EVs in general?

Now I understand there will be exceptions but I have yet to find anyone posting about this in any of these threads, who on a little bit of questioning didn’t end up just failing to do research, or failed to plan even slightly, or failed to RTFM.

Last edited:
Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
The satnavs have a lot answer for, only Tesla cracked it tbh. A friend got a Etron (q8) and the satnav took him to some ridiculous charge points, so much so that he stopped taking the car on long runs. I told him to try ABRP and he’s a hell of a lot happier driving the Etron on most of his trips.

Soldato
The satnavs have a lot answer for, only Tesla cracked it tbh. A friend got a Etron (q8) and the satnav took him to some ridiculous charge points, so much so that he stopped taking the car on long runs. I told him to try ABRP and he’s a hell of a lot happier driving the Etron on most of his trips.

I remember my E-Tron doing that, as has my I-Pace but both allow android auto or apple CarPlay which is much better and arguably better even than Tesla.

My I-Pace satnav was set to navigate to a rapid charger but the nav guided me down a country B road that went along the back of the service station but had no entry. So I had to double back a total of 14ish miles and ended up using Apple Maps. The car would then not charge on DC because it turns out setting a preferred cheap rate charging schedule in the car also applies to DC. It took me 30 minutes a a phone call to the charger support line to figure that one out. So part user error but part, “who programs this stuff” and thinks anyone would want restricted charging on a rapid?

So I have lots of empathy for people caught out by public charging, or end up screwed over by poor satnav or charging apps.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Both the iPace and Etron have completely unreliable satnavs when it comes to charging.

Tesla charging network and its ability to manage load by diverting away from busy stations is such a step ahead.

Soldato
Both the iPace and Etron have completely unreliable satnavs when it comes to charging.

Tesla charging network and its ability to manage load by diverting away from busy stations is such a step ahead.

Here in Ireland the Tesla charging network is laughable, it’s not even a thing here in the North. So it’s not a selling point here but in the mainland UK, I can see what why people recommend Tesla for anyone doing regular longer distance journeys.

Back
Top Bottom