When are you going fully electric?

Google translate please
you hadn't heard of the runaway ipace , or seen maximum overdrive ?

Anyway, interesting to see what cars the more mature norway ev market is buying - hint they haven't bought into chineseium
Screen_Shot_2024_01_02_at_12.17.12_PM.jpg

& interesting to see, responding to ev woes their journaslists seem to do mature anaslyis of ev ranges - with the now infamous mokka-e

Here are the passing numbers every 50 km:​

Model (outside temp. at start +0°)550 km (-10°)500 km (-1°)450 km (-1°)400 km (-2°)350 km (-2°)300 km (-5°)250 km (-8°)200 km (-6°)150 km (-5°)100 km (-0°)50 km (-8°)
Tesla Model 3 LR Dual engineSTOP 521 km 14.8 kWh1 km 0% 14.7 kWh34 km 6% 15.4 kWh86 km 15% 15.6 kWh136 km 23% 16.2 kWh214 km 37% 15.4 kWh281 km 49% 15.1 kWh340 km 59% 15.0 kWh395 km 68% 15.3 kWh430 km 75% 18.6 kWh511 km 88% 16.3 kWh
Mercedes-Benz EQS 580 4maticSTOP 513 km 20.7 kWh0 km 0% -- kWh22 km 5% 21.9 kWh82 km 15% 21.7 kWh120 km 23% 22.5 kWh199 km 38% 21.2 kWh249 km 48% 21.1 kWh313 km 58% 21.1 kWh372 km 69% 21.6 kWh407 km 74% 26.4 kWh473 km 87% 26.5 kWh
BMW iX xDrive50STOP 503 km 21.0 kWh0 km 0% 21.0 kWh3 km 2% 22.7 kWh68 km 13% 22.5 kWh83 km 20% 23.5 kWh166 km 34% 22.6 kWh210 km 46% 22.4 kWh280 km 57% 22.2 kWh333 km 67% 22.3 kWh330 km 74% 26.4 kWh402 km 88% 24.4 kWh

Opel Mokka-eSTOP 263 km 16.4 kWh-- km 7% 16.3 kWh78 km 29% 15.8 kWh124 km 47% 15.8 kWh168 km 62% 18.3 kWh274 km 74% 16.2 kWh

not many though is it. Not sure why everyone is interested in Norway.

Given up trying to understand the table you have pasted. What’s it saying? Bigger battery goes further in the cold

Last edited:

Given up trying to understand the table you have pasted. What’s it saying? Bigger battery goes further in the cold
It isn't easy if you have one of those complex comparison charts is it? I like your take on it though.
Surely than can do two charts, one that only 1% of the population understand and one for the rest of us? Seems simple enough

Last edited:
I have been looking at EV'S for a good few years now but have always found them too expensive. Almost two years ago I bought a Citroen C4 Sense 1.2. My wife and I are now both retired and I got a phone call from my local Arnold Clark asking if I would be interested in a Citroen E-C4. They have reduced the price to £19,998. So I have purchased one of the Citroen E-C4 Sense cars and expecting to get it on March 13th. I will be getting a charger fitted at my home very soon. It is the slow charger which will take 7hrs 30m to full charge. My yearly mileage is around 3-4000 and I rarely travel more than 30 miles from home so I don't envisage any charging problems and I am aware of the cars restricted miles capability, perhaps 180 max but I don't see that being an issue for me. Excited to be going electric!

I was just browsing earlier and noticed the used car market is flooded with Model 3's, you can get a 2020 Performance model for £20-25k.

Has anyone bought one at this sort of price? How are they holding up reliability wise?

Is the 8 year/120k mile battery & drive unit warranty attached to the car, or is it the first owner only? Tesla mention the ownership transfer must be done via them...?

I am not particularly interested in an EV yet, but might consider one as a second car at some stage, so was just curious really.

What do you mean flooded? It's all relative to how many the sold in 2020 which was A LOT.

Back to your question, the drive train warranty is on the car not the person. The only thing you need to do if you get a used one is claim ownership of the car to enable its connected features and supercharging, this also removes any previous owners accounts from accessing the car so it is quite important. You can locate, unlock and start the car from the app remotely, this process has nothing to do with the warranty though. The drivetrain warranty only covers the battery, motor and inverter but not ancillary parts such as the charge port or onboard charger.

Common failure points are suspension bushes and control arms, newer OEM parts are revised (newer models have these already) and there are also plenty of 3rd party options. I'd expect 4 year old cars will have had them done in the warranty period, it will be obvious is they are problematic as they will knock/squeak. I have spotted a few PTC heater failures recently on Model S and older Model 3's (newer ones don't have them), it's probably the time of year mind given its winter. Also watch out for buckled/damaged alloys, they are easily damaged on UK roads due to the rubber band tyres.

I'd expect a 20k Model 3 performance to not be in the bast condition unless its a private sale compared to one further up that price bracket. Personally I think the long range is a better buy. Its still stupidly fast, has more range and comes with more appropriate wheels for UK roads.

Edit: was looking at monthly not annual <facepalm emoji>

Last edited:
What do you mean flooded? It's all relative to how many the sold in 2020 which was A LOT.

Back to your question, the drive train warranty is on the car not the person. The only thing you need to do if you get a used one is claim ownership of the car to enable its connected features and supercharging, this also removes any previous owners accounts from accessing the car so it is quite important. You can locate, unlock and start the car from the app remotely, this process has nothing to do with the warranty though. The drivetrain warranty only covers the battery, motor and inverter but not ancillary parts such as the charge port or onboard charger.

Common failure points are suspension bushes and control arms, newer OEM parts are revised (newer models have these already) and there are also plenty of 3rd party options. I'd expect 4 year old cars will have had them done in the warranty period, it will be obvious is they are problematic as they will knock/squeak. I have spotted a few PTC heater failures recently on Model S and older Model 3's (newer ones don't have them), it's probably the time of year mind given its winter. Also watch out for buckled/damaged alloys, they are easily damaged on UK roads due to the rubber band tyres.

I'd expect a 20k Model 3 performance to not be in the bast condition unless its a private sale compared to one further up that price bracket. Personally I think the long range is a better buy. Its still stupidly fast, has more range and comes with more appropriate wheels for UK roads.

Edit: was looking at monthly not annual <facepalm emoji>

Thank you! Yes, by flooded I just meant quite a few have entered the used market, and prices have fallen. This isn't limited to Tesla, the whole market has dropped lately. EV's in particular though do seem to have suffered a bit more.

they drove about 30 odd ev cars on same winter route from a cold start at max road speed, and reported efficiency for journey segments - it really trumps anything i'd seen from bjorn/what_car etc.
they have a more mature/knowledgable market than we have, their readers want some objective details ?
(need to look at the linked article for full details)

Last edited:
I have been looking at EV'S for a good few years now but have always found them too expensive. Almost two years ago I bought a Citroen C4 Sense 1.2. My wife and I are now both retired and I got a phone call from my local Arnold Clark asking if I would be interested in a Citroen E-C4. They have reduced the price to £19,998. So I have purchased one of the Citroen E-C4 Sense cars and expecting to get it on March 13th. I will be getting a charger fitted at my home very soon. It is the slow charger which will take 7hrs 30m to full charge. My yearly mileage is around 3-4000 and I rarely travel more than 30 miles from home so I don't envisage any charging problems and I am aware of the cars restricted miles capability, perhaps 180 max but I don't see that being an issue for me. Excited to be going electric!
Well done. I had to slap my wifes father the other day for wanting a £1k charger for similar mileage. I charge an e2008 on a granny charger perfectly fine. I use the car daily x2 (nursery) and it is basically my van on the weekend. The range isn't an issue, just get into the habit of plugging in when you pull up and you'll never think about it again.

Well done. I had to slap my wifes father the other day for wanting a £1k charger for similar mileage. I charge an e2008 on a granny charger perfectly fine. I use the car daily x2 (nursery) and it is basically my van on the weekend. The range isn't an issue, just get into the habit of plugging in when you pull up and you'll never think about it again.
Financially it makes no sense but I think it's weird to (presumably figuratively?) slap someone just on that, buying a new car is even more financially illogical, did you slap them on that? I mean point it out but leave the decision up to them!

EVs are slowly taking off in work and I agree that many people think they automatically need a 7kw charger, but I point out the financial argument and that it only takes a little discipline to plug in more often with the granny charger and yet they've all got 7kw chargers (£500 on salary sacrifice).. none seem to have regretted it and enjoy the convenience, some literally just bought an EV to do a 3 mile commute!

One bit of misinformation though is BS-1363-EV which needs to be understood, but many fear it.. i.e. you need to ensure your wiring and socket are actually up to the job for continuous 2kw granny charging.. however, it's not rocket science and some sparkies are royally taking the mickey.. £240 to fit an EV socket and test the existing wiring seems a bit steep and a socket is just a socket, from around £3.50 for a compliant one..

If the 7kw charger gives people more confidence in charging at home, then I'm happy to override any financial decision, I mean people find it hard to plan when using the public charging network, so expecting them to be disciplined and think ahead a little more when granny charging is not the end of the world, and a charger will follow on to the next car..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom