When are you going fully electric?

Problem is though some are so wide they can't fit over some of the width restricted bridges etc. Or can just about but end of being scraped. Some are over the max weight as well but I wonder how many drivers realise and check that.

They are also a problem on very narrow country lanes.

But thats not Evs specifically.
The widest and heaviest cars on the road are ICE, although many are moving to PHEV now of course.
Things like the big mercs, the range rovers etc are big because of the luxury and space, the drivetrain is pretty irrelevant.

Range rovers have been a pain since I started driving, (late 80s) on country roads. The difference is many more cars are now large.

But thats not Evs specifically.
The widest and heaviest cars on the road are ICE, although many are moving to PHEV now of course.
Things like the big mercs, the range rovers etc are big because of the luxury and space, the drivetrain is pretty irrelevant.

Range rovers have been a pain since I started driving, (late 80s) on country roads. The difference is many more cars are now large.

Yea but now with batteries they are getting even heavier as well as big.

Last edited:
More like 150 - 300kg (battery size dependant) to be fair. Though I do see people pick the lowest spec ICE with the bog standard engine for weight. This ignoring that their higher spec higher performance model could be 300kg heavier with bigger engines, gearbox, brakes etc. For example a Golf can be anything between 1300kg to 1700kg depending on options. So anything from 300kg lighter to right about the same weight as a similar sized EV (give or take).

When I see someone use such vapid arguments, I see someone looking for any reason the take another dig at EVs.

Ooh EVs are too wide. Nope all cars are wide.

Er I mean too heavy. Nope not significantly for cars in the same class.

Er um, can they tow a caravan 300 miles in winter? Yeah thought not, EVs are a fad.

Last edited:
Not materially, they are usually within 100-200kg of their ice equivalent. Nothing really when you consider most ‘SUVs’ are >2000kg these days.

But you cant buy a lightweight EV, they are all pretty heavy even the smallish hatchbacks. E.g. a petrol Fiat 500 is barely over a ton. The EV version is almost 1400kg! and it's not that small. As a result the electric Abarth is also quite pathetic vs the petrol one performance wise and it's almost 40 grand lol

Last edited:
Irony was that some of the USA tax breaks come in for vehicles/trucks over 2.3T, or so, so manufacturers not too worried about keeping weight low for that market,
with no, current, tax penalty for excess W/m.
the fit on the cybertruck panels from that video is disappointing though, given the innovative air-bending they had employed on some stainless panels,
I guess a reactive bonnet (like polestar / volvos) would have been insufficient for eu conformity.

But you cant buy a lightweight EV, they are all pretty heavy even the smallish hatchbacks. E.g. a petrol Fiat 500 is barely over a ton. The EV version is almost 1400kg! and it's not that small. As a result the electric Abarth is also quite pathetic vs the petrol one performance wise and it's almost 40 grand lol

Yeah cos the Twin Air is peak drivability. Its just better all round as an EV.

Irony was that some of the USA tax breaks come in for vehicles/trucks over 2.3T, or so, so manufacturers not too worried about keeping weight low for that market,
with no, current, tax penalty for excess W/m.
the fit on the cybertruck panels from that video is disappointing though, given the innovative air-bending they had employed on some stainless panels,
I guess a reactive bonnet (like polestar / volvos) would have been insufficient for eu conformity.

Yes, the front wings are literally like a knife, there isnt much left of a person once you have folded them over the bonnet to deploy the hinges to give a softer impact. Is a bit like re arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic...

And thats before you get the flexi-ply leg and ACL for the other impact situations the EU rules help guide.

Though I do see people pick the lowest spec ICE with the bog standard engine for weight.

I bet nobody does this.

Nobody cares how much their car weighs outside of car forums. They care about how much fuel/power it uses, how much that costs and how it performs. Weight will affect all of these, I agree, but it won't be a consideration to many people.

Er um, can they tow a caravan 300 miles in winter? Yeah thought not, EVs are a fad.

Of course the issue here is that there are people who do tow things 300 miles in the winter. Not many, I agree, but they do exist. They can currently do this without issue, but soon it will be an issue.

The problem is that the petrol or diesel engine is hugely flexible - it can do almost any task you'd ever want from a vehicle. Most people don't need that, but some people always will and these people are going to find things increasingly more difficult as time goes on.

I am sure that electric car owners happily telling them they are wrong will help, though.

The point that EV's are heavier than combustion cars is only partially correct. For small hatchback sized cars (e.g. the Fiat 500) they are a bit heaver. For larger cars they're about the same if you compare a dedicated EV platform to a dedicated ICE platform.

For example, a Tesla Model Y is the same weight as a BMW X3, whilst having more space inside than a BMW X5.

The caravan point is a tricky one. If you are towing every day then it's simple, you get a vehicle with a massive battery. But for caravans that might only be used a couple of times a year, you don't want to have a battery capable of 600 miles for your 30 mile daily driving, just so you can do 300 miles with a caravan attached.

Caravan owners will need to stop and charge more often (at pull-through charging stations). A 15 minute charge every 2 hours isn't a huge inconvenience for the few time a year a caravan is used - but it is less convenient than ICE in that situation.

If you’re towing every day you’re probably a business, and as a business you’ll be needing to focus on emissions and cost reduction. So a diesel might be ok today but definitely not in a few years time.
Having to charge using public chargers at 80p a kWh is not going to be cost effective

The point that EV's are heavier than combustion cars is only partially correct. For small hatchback sized cars (e.g. the Fiat 500) they are a bit heaver. For larger cars they're about the same if you compare a dedicated EV platform to a dedicated ICE platform.

They will always be heavier unless some form of hybrid tech is in the ICE which is quite common.

For example, a Tesla Model Y is the same weight as a BMW X3, whilst having more space inside than a BMW X5.

That's comparing an apple to an orange, Tesla don't do combustion equivalent, at the very least a car that has both could be compared , plenty of manufacturers do both ICE and EV in same line up, so you can make a better comparison.

The caravan point is a tricky one. If you are towing every day then it's simple, you get a vehicle with a massive battery. But for caravans that might only be used a couple of times a year, you don't want to have a battery capable of 600 miles for your 30 mile daily driving, just so you can do 300 miles with a caravan attached.

Caravan owners will need to stop and charge more often (at pull-through charging stations). A 15 minute charge every 2 hours isn't a huge inconvenience for the few time a year a caravan is used - but it is less convenient than ICE in that situation.

It's not that simple as you fully deplete the battery very quickly when towing and many sites, aren't on the main drag, same for towing my car to race tracks, so it is not a 15 minute charge as there are not an abundance of 150- 350Kw chargers everywhere, lucky to find a 50kw DC, which is why we changed our order from BEV after I spent an absolute age on zap maps calculating what was available where I go, pull through stations are a rarity, so I got a PHEV, financially I would have been better off with a straight petrol or diesel as it is a significantly cheaper but I wanted to do my bit locally, particularly as the car is mostly used other times as inner city as sprog and disabled parents transport.

We previous used a 4x4 diesel but the round town local stuff was killing it with DPF and regens, very unclean, uneconomical city car :D

For my own car an EV would be perfect as I have no such restriction for pulling things but they are indeed genrally very heavy, quite large (both my track and road car are under 1200kgs, my MX5 was 1070kg when last corner weighted should be less now ) , lacking in driver involvement and fun, and yes, I have driven a load of them, the straight line speed doesn't win me over I already have a 2 tonne tank in my tow car that'll hit 62 in under 4.5s and 100 in ~10s there's no fun to be had there as it can't do feedback or driver involvement, very comfy though.

Last edited:
[
I bet nobody does this.
it's all on the table V 120kg!! less for a manual and 1.4 engine with same power, part of my consideration switching to audi; not sure how much 4wd/xdrive weighs.
Another reason to get the manual (manuals generally too) 1.4 tfsi audi vs 2l , both with 150bhp ,
the weight difference at 75kgs between 1.4 and 2.0 autos while the 1.4 manual is 120kgs lighter than the 2.0 auto.
190bhp / 40 tfsi seem a bit rare.
]

The caravan point is a tricky one
Not sure if they are having to re-design much of the ev drivetrain if towing is a daily thing - additional stress on motor/invertor/cooling & higher battery-draw
... even employ gearboxes ? hence the delay in products to market.

Back
Top Bottom