When are you going fully electric?

Are we nearly at the point where we understand the difference between 'not compromised' and 'not compromised for my particular use case'?

Kind of like how a Mazda MX-30 might be compromised for some people but not for someone who has an appropriate use case for it?

Yeah a compromise for me is anything with an ICE in it, that is smelly and noisy and that I can't charge from solar PV. I'm annoyed that EV's weren't around 20+ years ago and my motoring life would have been so much better. :)

So you changed it for a new version? or something different?
it broke so I bought something else.

I'm annoyed that EV's weren't around 20+ years ago and my motoring life would have been so much better. :)
If they had been, we might have some kind of decent charging infrastructure and technology might have been sufficiently advanced enough now that charging would take three minutes ;)

Are we nearly at the point where we understand the difference between 'not compromised' and 'not compromised for my particular use case'?
I've been at that point since I posted.

I'm done here now, until my next experience with EVs, positive or negative.

Not for me it wasn't, I was perfectly happy with it.

But for someone else it might be. Just like how someone will be perfectly happy with a short range EV like a Mini Electric or an MX-30.

Are you starting to understand the point that an average is a datapoint that is more than just “you”, or “me”?

Last edited:
If they had been, we might have some kind of decent charging infrastructure and technology might have been sufficiently advanced enough now that charging would take three minutes ;)

Makes no difference to 'me' and don't really care if charging take 30 mins or 2 hours, but those are 'my' preferences. End of discussion from my point of view as I don't care about other peoples issues, or why they do or don't want one, and I am not making them change. ;)

I would wager there would be plenty of infrastructure in the UK to ensure you were not left stranded.
Sure but you were asking how much of a compromise it would be to factor in 40 minutes of charging on an 8 hour journey. I'm just saying that, to me, the bigger compromise would be if I had to factor in finding somewhere to charge my car up for the following day having just driven for 8 hours.

I’ll tell you if it ever happens and I am left with absolutely no options. If you are doing long distance drives in an EV you do an extra google search.

That hotel you booked, does it have EV destination charging?

Where is the nearest rapid to my destination?

If I stop twice in those 8 hours I can get a decent buffer. Hell a break every two hours is probably what I would do anyway. That way I arrive with a significant SoC. An extra 20 minutes.

Does the tourist hotspot(s) I may visit have an AC charger I can use. I have done this on an almost 500 mile driving holiday in Ireland in our inefficient I-Pace and never once had to touch a rapid charger. ABC (Always Be Charging) where the opportunity arises.

Last edited:
Would you plan to run out of petrol nowhere near a petrol station?
No. You'd use your loaf and have a look before you left home.
www.zap-map.com
Of course not but it's simple in a petrol car. You just fill up within 50 miles of your destination and you then have 450+ miles in the tank ready for the next day.
That hotel you booked, does it have EV destination charging?

Where is the nearest rapid to my destination?

If I stop twice in those 8 hours I can get a decent buffer. Hell a break every two hours is probably what I would do anyway. That way I arrive with a significant SoC. An extra 20 minutes.
There we have it, those are the compromises.

Only travel to places that have EV charging or factor in extra charging.

I was just trying to get to the bottom of whether it is as simple as 40 minutes of charging on a 400 mile trip and it isn't, unless you can charge at your destination which is the point you originally quoted.

I'm sure for the vast majority of people those compromises wouldn't be an issue at all and any hotel, B&B, cottage etc. who wants to continue attracting clientele should be giving serious consideration to making charging provision if they haven't already.

I Do a regular round trip of 470 miles, always involves an overnight and thats generally a hell of a drive. I bet there arent very many people that do 400 miles one way. Either way i dont think theres a EV that can do 400 miles in one. So you would be charging 3/4 of the way in, giving you enough of a buffer to find a charger on your way back. Im sure finding a nearby Ionity/gridserve/tesla charger wouldnt be a big issue today!

You miss my point, I know they are potential compromises but what you consider a compromise is not what I (or others) may consider a compromise.

Checking if a hotel has an EV destination charger is in the same place on the travel/hotel web site where I check if it has a pool, or WiFi.

Plugging in to a vacant AC charger in the tourist attraction car park, is not much more hassle than parking in a normal spot.

Doing a quick check on the nearest rapid charger is a quick check on the satnav. Or even using the built in voice control to ask for the nearest rapid charger.

The most hassle I had was a hotel had the AC chargers occupied when we arrived. I took the opportunity before bedtime to drive 10 minutes to the nearest rapid and charged for 20 minutes. 40 minutes wasted, because the next day my wife wanted to go to Kildare shopping village and they had a row of maybe 7 or 8 AC chargers that were available to use for free. Ended up leaving with 100% SoC.

My four years of EV ownership has taught me that you literally need to go out of your way to run out of charge.

Back
Top Bottom