When are you going fully electric?

Need to replace our 10 year old Hyundai i40.

Looking at the Kia EV6. 15k miles, 2 years old for 30k+ for the gt-line. Just seems crazy, 30 grand for a 2nd hand kia!

Need a decent size hatchback, would like 300 miles + range.

Any other cars I should need looking at?

A Kia EV6 GT-Line is the AWD top of the range EV6. It is also not a 300+ mile EV.

If you drive like a granny and stay off motorways you might get 300+ out of a RWD EV6 and get an Air model for £26k.

Or a used Model Y

Or an Enyaq with a 77kWh battery

None will give 300+ miles in winter. Or on a motorway drive in summer.

I Do a regular round trip of 470 miles, always involves an overnight and thats generally a hell of a drive. I bet there arent very many people that do 400 miles one way. Either way i dont think theres a EV that can do 400 miles in one. So you would be charging 3/4 of the way in, giving you enough of a buffer to find a charger on your way back. Im sure finding a nearby Ionity/gridserve/tesla charger wouldnt be a big issue today!
Mercedes eqs 450

You miss my point, I know they are potential compromises but what you consider a compromise is not what I (or others) may consider a compromise.

Checking if a hotel has an EV destination charger is in the same place on the travel/hotel web site where I check if it has a pool, or WiFi.

Plugging in to a vacant AC charger in the tourist attraction car park, is not much more hassle than parking in a normal spot.

Doing a quick check on the nearest rapid charger is a quick check on the satnav. Or even using the built in voice control to ask for the nearest rapid charger.

The most hassle I had was a hotel had the AC chargers occupied when we arrived. I took the opportunity before bedtime to drive 10 minutes to the nearest rapid and charged for 20 minutes. 40 minutes wasted, because the next day my wife wanted to go to Kildare shopping village and they had a row of maybe 7 or 8 AC chargers that were available to use for free. Ended up leaving with 100% SoC.

My four years of EV ownership has taught me that you literally need to go out of your way to run out of charge.
Don't get me wrong, when I say compromise I'm using the term very loosely. Our last holiday was in a small cottage literally in the middle of the woods on a tucked away corner of a massive country estate. It was the most amazing location for us but nowhere to charge.

Would we have found somewhere almost as good that did have charging? Probably. If we fast forward a few years would that same cottage have a charger fitted? Again, probably.

My mileage is very edge case because of my job so it isn't that unusual for me to cover 400 miles in a day. Last week I had a 562 mile day but that was a record for me (as far as I can remember for work anyway). Despite that I'm still mulling over an EV for work and trying to get my head around how much of an impact it would have on me personally (financially and time wise) and from a work perspective (changing where I stay, how long I spend sat in motorway services etc.). Ultimately the decision is made by the MD but I do have a say and am in a position where I can put a case forward either way.

Cancelled my ex30 , had second thoughts on the interior plastics just wasn’t for me.
borrowed a eqa over the week, really enjoyed it and build was on par with my e-tron so I’ve changed my order to a 250+. August hopefully.

Need to replace our 10 year old Hyundai i40.

Looking at the Kia EV6. 15k miles, 2 years old for 30k+ for the gt-line. Just seems crazy, 30 grand for a 2nd hand kia!

Need a decent size hatchback, would like 300 miles + range.

Any other cars I should need looking at?

How often do you want/need the 300+ mile range in one go? E.g. going 150 miles somewhere then coming back, or a 5+ hours 300+ mile journey to a destination?

If it is edge/fringe case and not that often, then IMO I wouldn't base my buying decision on that, rather look at my normal behaviour and does that tie in with the ability to charge for 10-15 mins. If you look at the EV6 you are talking about that will easily charge at 120kW and way beyond, but even at that lower speed that is 2kWh per minute or 6-8 miles per minute of added range, so a 15 minute stop which is barely enough for a toilet stop, and to grab a drink etc and you've added 90-120 miles of range, which means that 300+ mile range really isn't needed for the most part, again unless you like driving for 5+ hours non-stop.

Other car options depends on budget, how long you want to keep the car, what mileage you do per year, what style of car you prefer etc. Far too many questions to ask so it is best if you indicate what you like/want/need, other than focusing on the range alone.

Cancelled my ex30 , had second thoughts on the interior plastics just wasn’t for me.
borrowed a eqa over the week, really enjoyed it and build was on par with my e-tron so I’ve changed my order to a 250+. August hopefully.
Good news is, there's loads of choice nowadays :)

My mileage is very edge case because of my job so it isn't that unusual for me to cover 400 miles in a day.
phev's still a sweet bik/range spot the passat phev with the bigger battery now - depending on how long you want to spend for your motorway break can top up with electric or petrol - both ?

You miss my point, I know they are potential compromises but what you consider a compromise is not what I (or others) may consider a compromise.
like johnny&fox said if there is a will .. if you are saving several thousand for bik - I'd have some good will.

[ ....govt/ google says mr average shouldn't have any problems with that mx-30
mr average 2.5trips/day , 1 in 40 long trips > 50miles, those represent 30% of his total domestic trips miles & 80% of long trips by car
with avg is 5373miles/pa, gives 1300 long trip miles across 22 long trips, so avg long trip 60miles, can even do 2 long trips a day in mx-30

]

Tiguan, Superb estate and the facelifted 3 Series all also have bigger batteries and faster charging.

The newer 3 series is interesting as the bigger battery will take up the same amount of space, I can imaging the MPG will be poorer on local driving when off charge, I get 26mpg in the winter on the typical school run :o

Tiguan, Superb estate and the facelifted 3 Series all also have bigger batteries and faster charging.

The newer 3 series is interesting as the bigger battery will take up the same amount of space, I can imaging the MPG will be poorer on local driving when off charge, I get 26mpg in the winter on the typical school run :o
To be fair, PHEV with a decent size battery could be a good gateway to full EV for most people. Hopefully local driving would all be on charge and it's just the longer journeys that end up using the ICE.

To be fair, PHEV with a decent size battery could be a good gateway to full EV for most people. Hopefully local driving would all be on charge and it's just the longer journeys that end up using the ICE.

The revised BMW 330e now has an electric range of about 60 miles apparently - which for me at least would do all of my local driving on battery power without any range issues and without ever needing to charge at a public charger.

The whole plug in hybrid idea from an individual perspective does seem quite flawed - the savings if it isn't a company car will be quite low - but from a local air quality perspective then encouraging the use of plug in hybrid cars with a view to making inner city areas eventually entirely zero emissions would have been an interesting way to solve the problem.

Nobody was saying you should buy an EV with a 100 mile range. The question was asked why on earth was manufacturers making them and who on earth would buy one.

People in 2013 when the Leaf and Zoe first came out? :p

I think the question is more "why would anyone pay £30k for a new 100 mile range EV when they could get a used one for literally a fraction of the cost?"

Are you starting to understand the point that an average is a datapoint that is more than just “you”, or “me”?

But it's a completely irrelevant one when "you" or "me" are choosing a car. I don't pick a car based on the needs of the 30 other people on my road, I pick one based on my needs.

The revised BMW 330e now has an electric range of about 60 miles apparently - which for me at least would do all of my local driving on battery power without any range issues and without ever needing to charge at a public charger.

The whole plug in hybrid idea from an individual perspective does seem quite flawed - the savings if it isn't a company car will be quite low - but from a local air quality perspective then encouraging the use of plug in hybrid cars with a view to making inner city areas eventually entirely zero emissions would have been an interesting way to solve the problem.
For all those people people clinging onto their crappy 4 pot diesels I do also think it would help them realise EV is pretty damn good for everyday driving.

For all those people people clinging onto their crappy 4 pot diesels I do also think it would help them realise EV is pretty damn good for everyday driving.

For people who genuinely needed a 4 cylinder diesel, it will be a long time before an electric car or a plug in hybrid is as useful to them.

Usefully though, I'd imagine 90% of those who bought them had no need for them in the first place and will find a plug in hybrid a much nicer thing to drive.

The mistake with diesel was deciding it was the answer to every motoring question. It was not and small hatchbacks with diesel engines should never have existed.

Last edited:
But it's a completely irrelevant one when "you" or "me" are choosing a car. I don't pick a car based on the needs of the 30 other people on my road, I pick one based on my needs.

Nope, it is not irrelevant because all 31 people’s “needs” in your scenario are counted in an average. That’s why it’s an average, a trend, an indicator of an approximation. If you look at an average and think “it’s irrelevant” all you are doing is showing you ignorance of why averages exist.

Paradoxically an average can represent all data but none at the same time. By that I mean you could take the average age of 10 people and come up with an average age of 35. Yet not one of the people whose age made up the data is actually 35.

With the average annual mileage being low AND the average journey length being low. It is an indication that the trend is for most people to do mostly short journeys. So manufacturers take that data and conclude there is a sizeable market for a short range commute EV that will never see a rapid charger.

The fact it does not meet your (or my) needs is what is irrelevant.

Last edited:

I was considering an EX30 when the used prices drop. But seeing inside one put me right off. It was nowhere near as well finished as the similar ranged but cheaper Megane E-Tech.

Last edited:
Another interesting thing about the facelift 3 series, they have dumped the diesel engine entirely.

They've been slowly getting rid of most combustion only engine options since 2022.

When it was introduced, you could have a 318d, 320d, 320i, 330d, 330i, M340i and M340d.

Now you can just get a 320i or an M340i.

The full range of engines remains available outside the UK.

Last edited:
The bold assumption is that PHEV owners actually charge them. A lot of the company car brigade don’t because their employers don’t reimburse them for the energy so why would they bother.

Back
Top Bottom