When are you going fully electric?

The 'why buy a new car when you can buy a used car' argument has been going since cars were invented though.

And why would anyone buy a used Tesla when a 10 year old Mondeo would do for a lot less. This isn’t about value, because relative value has always been a thing.

Why pay more for an Audi when you can get a Hyundai? Why buy an iPhone when a cheap Chinese android will do?

That wasn’t an unexpected response but only made up 1/3 of the of the post. Value is a huge consideration when buying a car.

The first part of the post was a comparison to much cheaper ICE vehicles which frankly offer far better value.

The last part of the post was the £lol depreciation on them.

The MX-30 offers such poor value. It doesn’t matter which was you look at it.

It’s certainly a new car to buy if you don’t like money.

You can argue the relative merits on the value of an MX-30 but what you can’t argue is there is a much bigger market for short range EVs than there is for long range EVs.

I’m not really sure there is.

If you classed short range as 150-180 miles then sure I could get behind that.

Given how few of these ‘100’ mile (inc the Honda E) they’ve actually sold in the last few years, I’d suggest people don’t actually want them and would prefer something with a bit more range like the Mokka or Mini Electric.

Remember the market is what people want to buy, not what they need to buy.

In the longer term I could see shorter range EVs having a bit of a resurgence but that’s only because there will be the infrastructure to support it (e.g. ubiquitous availability of AC destination charging) and smaller batteries that can be rapid charged faster.

But until those two points are sorted, which let’s be honest will be some time away, I just can’t see a mass market for £30k 100 mile range cars.

Yes by short range I mean ~150 miles. The very short range EVs like city cars still have a market but would be the lower end outliers in those “average users”.

Autotrader example , was probably the predecessor to the feek's garage loaner ... and the RRP price was never realised,
could the mazda dealer actually put such an example on his forecourt adjacent to the new ones.

Here is a 2022 model on a 72 plate for under £13k, only 7200 miles on the clock. That’s £2.36/mile in depreciation - ‘shocking’. I bet the car was more than £30k in 2022 too…

Seems good value compared to a Model S owner I know. They went the other way - long range car but with small annual mileage. We worked out their year one depreciation to be £8.20 a mile. It also costs about double in tyres per mile than I spend in fuel but that is a different issue I guess ;)

If you are just looking for something to commute in that Mazda actually makes a lot of sense and seems good value now!

Last edited:
That Mazda is a massive outlier. Almost every EV coming out these days has reasonable range.

I was looking at Audi e-trons before I bought my I Pace. I reckoned 180mile range was fine as it charged so fast and ultra rapids are everywhere these days.

Last edited:
the fat Audi e-tron is a pretty crap EV TBH............. but it is a lovely car! i saw the smaller battery one a month or so back for barely over £20k. given we paid £17k and £500+ road tax for the wifes bmw i3 which was older, i was a bit gutted to be honest.

the e-tron would have been an absolutely fantastic 2nd car for us. totally unnecessary but for the cost we would have to have gone for it.

Strangely the small battery E-Tron 50 is a much better long range trip EV than an I-Pace. It charges much faster and despite having 60 miles less motorway range, it will get you 500 or 600 miles faster.

so this is a fun one, there's actually a bit of choice now at the lower end. In people's opinion and you had a £16-17k is budget would you go for a
Pug e2008
e-niro (older style)
Citroen E-C4
Hyundai ioniq (pains me slighly as i'll look just like an uber)

or

wait a while for the I Pace even the Mach-e dip just under 19k (HSE and extended range varients) which I would expect in a year or so and push the budget. Aware these 2 are dramatically different cars to the others

This coming from a 10 year old diesel Qashqai!

Strangely the small battery E-Tron 50 is a much better long range trip EV than an I-Pace. It charges much faster and despite having 60 miles less motorway range, it will get you 500 or 600 miles faster.
it all comes down to what you want the car for....... my ipace works for me because my parents door to door are 200 miles away and my car can do that on a full charge without paying to charge. its possible it wont in a freezing winter , tho it hasnt failed me yet.......but even then, a 15min wee stop will cover it.
the short range Etron would not do that.

for longer journeys i can see the slow charging of the ipace will be a pain for some, but i doubt it will matter for me. in all my 31 years of driving i have never taken a car out of the UK so it isnt a factor for me choosing my car. in the uk, the very rare times i go beyond the range of the car, i am happy to factor in a 45min lunch break, and then if needed on a real long road trip a further 45min either mid morning or an evening meal break.

the short range etron would not manage this, and i am too tight to pay public charging rates when i go to see my folks.

but for the wife who never drives more than 70 miles each way ................ what a lovely 2nd car (and if she needed to drive further she is insured on my car anyway) It isnt a car i would buy new (but then neither is the ipace or any car for that matter as i do not get the amazing tax breaks) but for the 2nd hand market there are so many great cars to be had now.

Last edited:
so this is a fun one, there's actually a bit of choice now at the lower end. In people's opinion and you had a £16-17k is budget would you go for a
Pug e2008
e-niro (older style)
Citroen E-C4

or

wait a while for the I Pace even the Mach-e dip just under 19k (HSE and extended range varients) which I would expect in a year or so and push the budget. Aware these 2 are dramatically different cars to the others

100% e-Niro

That's coming from a person who had an e-208

Yup exactly, if you have faith in charging availability the range isn't always the most important factor

Sadly there's a long way to go until everyone treats ultra rapid chargers like petrol stations knowing there's always going to be one nearby.

Pug e2008
e-niro (older style)
Citroen E-C4

or

I came from a diesel nissan QQ. i think any car in the above list would be an upgrade.... if it were me out of that lot i would be going E niro. .... but if you can get over the looks you could also consider a Soul. £17k should get you the 64kwh battery one.

Last edited:
I came from a diesel nissan QQ. i think any car in the above list would be an upgrade.... if it were me out of that lot i would be going E niro. .... but if you can get over the looks you could also consider a Soul. £17k should get you the 64kwh battery one.
I can't quite get over the interior of the soul :/ it's horrible!

I can't quite get over the interior of the soul :/ it's horrible!
yeah, not gonna argue with you there :D i have never driven one, however i do know those who own them do seem to rave about them..... incredibly efficient cars tho....... mind you apparently the fiat multipla had quite the following and they were butt ugly as well.

Back
Top Bottom