When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Fastned shows 60% it drops. Is your experience different?

Not sure the point stands when the car uses 20% more electricity?

This is the original e-tron 50 not the Q4 etron 50?

Yep my wording was very bad sorry. Yes the E-Tron 50 with the small battery. I meant while it doesn’t hold 120kWh charging to 80% it does have a very flat charging curve. I think it worked out about 114kWh average all the way to 80%. It also didn’t suffer from coldgating.

Compared to my I-Pace that needs the planets to align just to get 100kWh for a few minutes. So in a long range trip 500 miles or more, the smaller battery E-Tron would get you there a fair bit faster.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've just posted about going EV and appreciating some.advice on how well my PV array, inverter, battery, EV charger and electricity tariff will work together..

Here to thread.

Appreciate any help/reassurance before I make a.mistake.with my EV charger order

Caporegime
[
Also a brilliant add for the mach-e
]
What Mach-e? The page talking about green stuff has a Porsche Cayman

Not sure how brilliant an unadvertised car simply driving onto a train is either tbh. People need brand awareness first

Last edited:
Caporegime
yeah, not gonna argue with you there :D i have never driven one, however i do know those who own them do seem to rave about them..... incredibly efficient cars tho....... mind you apparently the fiat multipla had quite the following and they were butt ugly as well.
Absolute rubbish, they are average efficiency. My Cupra is more efficient. Where does 'incredible' come from?

Fundamentally they are flawed by fwd powertrain, it drives ok and has some nice features but under power or in wet the lack of traction and corrupted steering isnt nice. Ive done 700miles in one in the last 10 days. The boot is also tiny.

Soldato
Absolute rubbish, they are average efficiency.
they were getting up to 5m/kwh or so they tell me. Seems pretty good to me. Boot may be compromised a little but lots of headroom in the back which if you are over 6 foot is a real issue for many cars... so it depends where you need the space i guess.
Your cupra is a better car no doubt, but its also way more expensive.......... unless the prices are now down to the £16-£17K the op requested? (in which case of course they should get one of those)

PS why so aggressive?

Last edited:
Caporegime
they were getting up to 5m/kwh or so they tell me. Seems pretty good to me. Boot may be compromised a little but lots of headroom in the back which if you are over 6 foot is a real issue for many cars... so it depends where you need the space i guess.

PS why so aggressive?
Dont confuse short direct posts with state of mind. I dont have time to write massive posts like some. You are using words like incredible with no direct experience and only what people have said (people make stuff up a lot). People then read that an believe what you have said. Im just correcting thats the Kia Soul is an ok EV if you have only driven one after coming from a diesel 1.2 Corsa. But as an EV its dated, bases on ICE and not that efficient, certainly not incredible. Its a light car too (edit- its actually 1750kg) (hence its so noisy at 70mph i guess)

Yes I can get 5.8 in my Cupra too. As said, the MEB platform is massively underrated, people who never driven them seem to jump of the train of dissing them. Based on what they have read or heard... (a common theme).

72mph Cruise on a 185mile each way trip. Soul 3.4, Cupra 3.8 (Cd 0.35 vs 0.27)

PS, whats headroom got to do with claim about Efficiency. Head room is good as they are tall cars for what they are at 1.6m tall (frontal area prob hurts motorway), they also charge slow which makes topping up a bit annoying

Last edited:
Soldato
I've just posted about going EV and appreciating some.advice on how well my PV array, inverter, battery, EV charger and electricity tariff will work together..

Here to thread.

Appreciate any help/reassurance before I make a.mistake.with my EV charger order
there is nothing wrong with the zappi, tho since my export increased to 15p i must admit i do not use its solar charging features. it is supported by intelligent octopus which is nice so you dont have to worry about car compatibility (some companies are actually removing access from 3rd parties so cars which once were supported on intelligent no longer are). you may need to set up Home assistant if you dont want your car to wipe out your house battery...... i have not bothered yet, i just plug the car in after my house battery is flat or at 11:30pm and set a ready time for 5:30am..... if i absolutely need more than 6hrs charging i log into my inverter and change the house battery settings, a faff but its once in a blue moon i need to do it.

so long as you keep smart charging turned on i think you are still in octopus ts and cs.

i would say ask the installer to make sure your grid CT clamp is wired and dont rely on the wireless Harvi. i was getting drop outs with mine and had to call the installer out and make them hardwire the grid CT. which is fine but means i now have 2 wires, had they of done it from the get go they could have used a charging wire with the CT clamp wire built in.

Last edited:
Soldato
Dont confuse short direct posts with state of mind. I dont have time to write massive posts like some. You are using words like incredible with no direct experience and only what people have said (people make stuff up a lot). People then read that an believe what you have said. Im just correcting thats the Kia Soul is an ok EV if you have only driven one after coming from a diesel 1.2 Corsa. But as an EV its dated, bases on ICE and not that efficient, certainly not incredible. Its a light car too (hence its so noisy at 70mph)

Yes I can get 5.8 in my Cupra too. As said, the MEB platform is massively underrated, people who never driven them seem to jump of the train of dissing them. Based on what they have read or heard... (a common theme).

72mph Cruise on a 185mile each way trip. Soul 3.4, Cupra 3.8 (Cd 0.35 vs 0.27)

PS, whats headroom got to do with claim about Efficiency. Head room is good as they are tall cars for what they are (frontal area prob hurts motorway), they also charge slow which makes topping up a bit annoying
ok fair enough but again the issue is he wanted a max of £17k, which the born is not in yet... i have never and would never knock the platform, and have suggested my folks at least look into a born or ID3 when they look to upgrade (I wanted one myself but the wife would not bite hence we have a REX plug in hybrid :( )....

and my comment on headroom is as relevant to range as your comment is on bootspace. Anyway I think the question is answered now and OP has a bunch of suggestions for cars in his price range. I dont personally like the kia Soul visually but it has a fair few fans and for the money i stand by the fact that it is a lot of car for the money. maybe i over egged the efficiency but if so it wasnt deliberate, i was told by an owner they regularly saw 5m/kw which i do think is really good, but you have driven the car so obviously have more useful experience.,

anyway i apologise if i inadvertently misrepresented the car .... it cheeses me off no end when people who do not drive an EV spout crap about them so would not want to be guilty of doing the same from the other side.

Last edited:
Caporegime
That Mazda is a massive outlier. Almost every EV coming out these days has reasonable range.

I was looking at Audi e-trons before I bought my I Pace. I reckoned 180mile range was fine as it charged so fast and ultra rapids are everywhere these days.
Just checked on Zenith and the MX-30 is below £280 a month now. So i guess it has some appeal, but that 35.5kWh battery seems tiny.

Soldato
ok fair enough but again the issue is he wanted a max of £17k, which the born is not in yet...
ID3 is at that level - just slighly less stylish - it's just the 58's range an the fact it might not make 120miles in winter against it, with fairly slow charge if you must stop.
(it's good they are dissed by many provides some bargains for us)
soul ev: folks down the road have had a bright blue and now a stylish black&red always looks like a mini range rover ... and they always overtake me courteously

Not sure how brilliant an unadvertised car simply driving onto a train is either tbh. People need brand awareness first
family&dog(pug too - fans here) having fun in car, clear mustang emblem, nice photography, back to the future moment - I was on board.

Last edited:
Caporegime
ID3 is at that level - just slighly less stylish - it's just the 58's range an the fact it might not make 120miles in winter against it, with fairly slow charge if you must stop.
120 miles is no problem. It's a 58kwh battery. it isnt going to be doing 2m/kWh?!?

120kW peak is more than enough, even for a quick top up. I'd suggest start walking, too much talking. Talking about stuff that is incorrect too.

Caporegime
family&dog(pug too - fans here) having fun in car, clear mustang emblem, nice photography, back to the future moment - I was on board.
Easily convinced by obvious marketing then? Interested all that flim flam marketing emotional stuff yet you get into the technical details of cars about how well it suits someone else. Do you reckon the dog was happy due to the DCC or charge rate?

Despite all the posts, im still not sure what you are looking for nor what your drive cycle is. We have gone from ID-7 loving to now second hand ID-3s (i think you are as well as the person asking for cars)

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah take it from an owner, there's no way you would end up with only 120 miles even in winter.

Soldato
Yeah take it from an owner, there's no way you would end up with only 120 miles even in winter.
that crossed my mind as well but i didnt want to be called out in 2 posts in a row for commenting on a car i hadnt driven. but i do not see how a car on the same platform (essentially the same car with different knickers on) could go from 3.8miles per kwh to 120 miles on a 58kwh battery unless they were hooning it during a beast from the east type winter. (maybe the 45kwh one but that has been canned and did anyone even buy that?)

Last edited:
Soldato
(maybe the 45kwh one but that has been canned and did anyone even buy that?)
yes - maybe that was what I'm recollecting, the battreies that had a lot of sandbagging; the charging though, I thought that w/o preconditioning it was 50kw

Easily convinced by obvious marketing then? Interested all that flim flam marketing emotional stuff yet you get into the technical details of cars about how well it suits someone else. Do you reckon the dog was happy due to the DCC or charge rate?

Despite all the posts, im still not sure what you are looking for nor what your drive cycle is. We have gone from ID-7 loving to now second hand ID-3s (i think you are as well as the person asking for cars)
yes currently have a 3tourer and electric estate is my real wish id7 weight ideal but too expensive as a private purchase,
that 'leaves' me with a used id3 - nationwide dealership/reasonable £400 insurance/internal space, don't care about infotainment, audio could be fixed with an aftermarket dspamp like HK in 3tourer I'm looking at.
irregular 60 mile round trip commute, mostly local journies with occassional weekend 300mile round trip; garage could supply about 5KW home charge.

Back
Top Bottom