When are you going fully electric?

Associate
Went into town today to see what cars were available and hardly any full EV's but plenty of hybrids. As I fdound out four years ago when I last looked at cars they are very overpriced up here and it's gotten much worse since then. On average it would seem that there is a £3-4k premium over buying from England. One of the sales reps that jumped on me as soon as I walked into the forecourt tried explaining that it's to do with less competition up here but how can they say that when Inverness has a road nicknamed the motor mile as it has nothing but door to door dealerships down the whole road? It looks like I will be buying from England.

Back to EV's. How do I go about getting a home charging point installed? Who are the best companies? What sort of charger should I be looking at and are there any government grants to assist with the cost? I am with Octopus for my energy if that helps.
Get Octopus to do your install. They were hundreds of pounds cheaper for me than any local quote I got for a Zappi. They also did a fantastic install job with no corners cut:

The used EV cable which had the ethernet pairs in the cable for the CT clamp (Think it was EV Ultra they used - it's quite expensive I believe)
Separate mini CU with surge protection installed splitting the tails
myenergi Zappi 2.1

No hidden costs and the application process was painless.

Soldato
Good luck 30k miles on an ev.

I’ve not managed 20k on any ev car yet per set, unless you drive like an oldie.
i think you missed my post where i said i had already done 8000 miles on a set of tyres that i thought were almost ready for replacement when i got the car, and that from what i can tell there is a good chance it is still on factory tyres on over 49000 miles and still legal.

and whilst i dont drive like a total boy racer, i do like to play with the go pedal on occasion. it is 4WD however so i guess that spreads the torque a little.

I am not certain on the 49000 miles.... but the tyres are over 6 months older than the car, so unless they were old stock going on the car as replacements I think there is a good chance they are what came with the car.

Last edited:
Soldato
there's no tyre pressure reset event, in events, that might date any tyre change - or they do that on services anyway.
not that i know of.... is that a thing? anyway its irrelevant i guess, the tyres will be changed when they need to be, but i do think that whilst it is possible EVs do on average wear through tyres a little more, I think it is hugely overblown by biased media.

The money saved on brakes and pads I am confident will be much more than any added cost in tyre replacement.

I have friends with teslas of various flavours, a leaf mk1, leaf mk2 and a polestar 2 and none have noticed excessive tyre wear over and above other cars they have driven.

however YMMV (very literally in this case!!!)

it does remind me however...... i constantly check my car but i never think to check the wifes............ the i3 is her car but it will be a cold day in hell before she thinks to check them so i guess i should do that!.

Last edited:
Soldato
My M3P will need new rears (will probbaly change all 4) this year, I would guess around 24k miles, the same as my Golf R managed. I utalise the full pedal at every oppertunity, but also let regen do most of the braking.

Last edited:
Soldato
typically for the last 6 months Formula 1 auto centres have had goodyear eagle sport all season tyres for my car for like £180 a corner if i buy 4.......... and now i am getting really close to needing them, they are back up to £215 each fitted :(

Associate
Picking up a 2022 Model Y LR tomorrow from a BMW main dealer. They don't seem to have a clue about how Tesla account pairing with the car works, so I suspect I won't be able to 'take ownership' of the car there and then as they don't have any way to transfer it to me. Anyone else had any experience of this when buying a Tesla from a 3rd party? Assuming I won't be able to use the Supercharging network until it's resolved (unless the previous owner still has it tied to their account with billing details etc. but I doubt that's going to be the case).

Soldato
Picking up a 2022 Model Y LR tomorrow from a BMW main dealer. They don't seem to have a clue about how Tesla account pairing with the car works, so I suspect I won't be able to 'take ownership' of the car there and then as they don't have any way to transfer it to me. Anyone else had any experience of this when buying a Tesla from a 3rd party? Assuming I won't be able to use the Supercharging network until it's resolved (unless the previous owner still has it tied to their account with billing details etc. but I doubt that's going to be the case).

You might have already seen the guide but available direct from Tesla:

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/support/second-hand-purchase (More details available when you log into your Tesla account online)

Associate

Going through this at the moment. Purchased my model Y from a Volkswagen dealer. You have to wait for the v5 to come through (mine took a week), then you have to upload it into the app to "claim" the car. Then someone at Tesla has to approve it. Uploaded mine yesterday but nothing on the app yet. Apparently it can take up to 5 days.

I have home charging so not a major issue but its a bit annoying I can't factory reset the car or anything yet as it is still registered to the previous owner. I'm not sure what would happen if I tried to use a supercharger. Would it charge their account? Seems a bit odd anyway. There should be an easier way around this for dealerships tbh. Or even if I could drive to my local Tesla dealership and get them to do it (I don't believe this is possible).

Soldato
If the previous owner still has the car on their app, you may be able supercharge and it will bill them. You can usually supercharge once without any payment information tied to the car before it locks you out.

The downside is if the previous owner still has control of the car on their app, they effectively have the keys to the car and can see its location in the app.

The dealer should have ensured the previous owner was removed but many don’t. Fleet operators should have removed the user of the vehicle before they sold it into the trade.

A savvy dealer gets the previous owner to transfer the car to them if they buy it direct but realistically i expect most don’t have any interaction with the previous owner or just don’t have a clue generally.

You basically have to go though the claim process as highlighted above once you get the V5 which can take a few days.

Associate
Thanks for the advice all - hopefully all will be well tomorrow and the previous owner is at least de-registered. Worst case there's a Tesla dealership about 10 minutes away from where I'm collecting the car, so I could always try dropping in there with my proof of purchase and see if there's anything they can do.

Soldato
Thanks for the advice all - hopefully all will be well tomorrow and the previous owner is at least de-registered. Worst case there's a Tesla dealership about 10 minutes away from where I'm collecting the car, so I could always try dropping in there with my proof of purchase and see if there's anything they can do.

Are you reliant on supercharging network? If can get by with homecharging in the meantime probs best waiting (not like you can't use other fast chargers too)

Soldato
Yeah I’ve got home charging. It’s not the charging situation that so much concerns me - it’s the previous owner being able to track and control the car still.

You can just remove them on the day. Car will still be useable, just won't be able to pair your phone as a key until ownership has transferred. Should come with 2 credit card like keys

Associate
Alpine a290 launched, its the sort of size I want but the Ioniq 5N has ruined sporty EVs for me now, it's set a level of interactivity that makes the rest look dull.

Associate
When I got my Kona facelift it still had the previous owners bluelink setup so for the first few days they could have seen where the car was on the map, unlock the car(!) and turned on climate or something. But I figured out how to unlink the account and setup for me in the end. The dealers knew almost nothing about the car, but I already done my homework and know what I wanted. And read the manual :)

Unrelated and just a car thing but aren't those second hand car dealer sticker on the windscreen annoying? I mean I wanna now remove mine and it's just a hassle. I think I need to use a stanley knife blade or something. Next car I get I'll ask them to remove it first.

Soldato
its not just Tesla... my Ipace was the same however for me it was as si
Alpine a290 launched, its the sort of size I want but the Ioniq 5N has ruined sporty EVs for me now, it's set a level of interactivity that makes the rest look dull.

surely a different class of car, ................. so the way i see it get both, the Ionic 5N for the long journeys and the renault 5 for the school run
:D

Those tyres tho............ are they the genuine ones for that car? they would not last 5 mins on the pot holed roads near me!.

its a looker though, that is for sure!.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom