When are you going fully electric?

Associate
surely a different class of car, ................. so the way i see it get both, the Ionic 5N for the long journeys and the renault 5 for the school run
:D

Those tyres tho............ are they the genuine ones for that car? they would not last 5 mins on the pot holed roads near me!.

its a looker though, that is for sure!.

Sure they are a different class in terms of size but with respect to what the 5N offers from a software side of things to make an EV interactive, this can be put in any size vehicle and you might have expected a Performance brand like Alpine to go that extra mile.

R5 for a school run :D it wouldn't get kids and crap in, we have a bigger car for a reason, perfect for my personal transport though.

Still I like this a lot as an old R5GTT fan boy, its Abarth style sound gen is probably OK, as I did enjoy the Abarth when I tried it but the Abarth lacked any guts over 60mph, I don’t mind slow, my fun cars are very slow compared to my family SUV but they infinitely more fun because of what they offer being lightweight and interactive, but for me a car needs to have pace above 60 as it will go to a track etc. 220bhp of the A290 might make all the difference here compared to the Abarth, I don’t need a ballistic missile.

Tyres should be fine on a lighter car, I run 18s on my Abarth and its OK but only 1100kgs. This A290 is 1500kg, so still a bit of a porker due to battery, makes the power to weight a bit low but EVs drive different so it is probably fine.

Last edited:
Associate
Well, what can I say, I puts loads of extra go faster stickers on my car so that probably tells you all you need to know about my chav car level, I'm a man in his 50s for god sake :D Max Power 'till I die :p

Last edited:
Soldato
I must admit our BMW i3 has an intermittent fault where by sometimes we get up in a morning and the charge point is saying EV full and the car is saying charging interrupted with sometimes a few kWh charged and sometimes none at all
it is really quite stressful esp as I am going away for a week in my car the the wife also has a bit of a road trip in the i3. it's almost 50:50 now and getting seemingly worse.

I don't think it is the charge point as it's flawless in my car. it is stressful and the lack of garages to have a clue on them a real issue.
it's going into my local hevra garage when I get back 1st for a 12v battery check in the hope it is simply that throwing a spanner in. (it's a 2018 car so if on factory battery is due replacing)

the thing is I know the EV naysayers will see this as proof EVs are crap.... but I have had plenty of intermittent issues with ice cars as well.
for me the main problem worrying me now isn't the car it is that all the garages I know and trust near me don't do EVs or hybrids. hopefully this will change.

I do have a well regarded hevra garage near me but even they admit by some strange fluke they have not had an i3 in before.

Last edited:
Associate
Things fail, its an old car so more chance of that.

On the range side, this was interesting to see, all > 300 miles range, Tesla top as usual but others not far behind on efficiency.

Soldato
WLTP average speed is a lot lower than a 200 mile trek down the motorway where the range actually matters. Hence the numbers don’t make sense to a lot of people.

My general rule of thumb for the U.K. is WLTP -30% = typical winter range plus a small % buffer.

Of course, if the beast from the east is rolling in, it will be lower. As @Simon said, it’s an aero game at high speed and high winds do impact range, up or down depending on direction.

Last edited:
Associate
Motorways are not representative of the range numbers stated which are based on WLTP. It’s an aero game at 70mph

Indeed, just thought it was good to see more cars getting reasonable range at motorwat, closing the gap to Tesla for the people that would benefit from range like motorway commuters. When I was a motorway commuter looking at EVs to cut my costs, finding something affordable that'd reliable do 200miles was hard, seems it is getting less so which is a good thing.

Associate
Straight Pipes messing with all the settings in Ioniq 5 N, that's a proper review for this car. If I owned it I wouldn't use the fake engine noise and I doubt most people really would, favouring quiet over noise.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Motorways are not representative of the range numbers stated which are based on WLTP. It’s an aero game at 70mph

It is annoying that this isn't taken into account because the reality is that for most people the only point the range ever matters is on the motorway. If you're just doing local driving, you're rarely ever going to drive so far in a single day that range is an issue anyway.

When people want 300 miles of range, they don't want to be able to do 300 miles under the conditions in the test. They want to sit on the M1 at 70mph.

Interesting new feature in the My BMW app - it takes your fuel consumption and car usage data and works out how an electric car would work for you. Apparently, 91% of the days I used the car in the last year could have been completed with only home charging.

Last edited:
Associate
Interesting new feature in the My BMW app - it takes your fuel consumption and car usage data and works out how an electric car would work for you. Apparently, 91% of the days I used the car in the last year could have been completed with only home charging.

It's only when you've done it for a bit that you actually know, my missus was unsure about EVs and in fact switching to an auto, she got to experience both with our PHEV, now she is accustomed to plugging it in at home/work she's even said we should get a full EV and on the auto side, she absolutely hates driving my cars now and never wants to see a manual again :D

With her blessing I might even take a hit on the Volvo and swap to that 5N, but like my stickered up Abarth she thinks its a bit tasteless and doesn't feel as luxurious as the Volvo, I keep working to grind her down, but it's a tough job, how we're together I'll never know :D :D :D

Last edited:
Associate
Long day collecting the Model Y today… sure enough was still registered to the previous owner’s account. He hadn’t removed it and was still linked to his credit card. Dealership called him asking him to do a transfer, initially didn’t seem interested so prompted him by subscribing to Premium Connectivity

Not too long after he sorted the transfer.

Hideous drive home in abysmal weather, car didn’t skip a beat. I’ll miss the Golf R but not for too long I don’t think.

Associate
Long day collecting the Model Y today… sure enough was still registered to the previous owner’s account. He hadn’t removed it and was still linked to his credit card. Dealership called him asking him to do a transfer, initially didn’t seem interested so prompted him by subscribing to Premium Connectivity

Not too long after he sorted the transfer.

Hideous drive home in abysmal weather, car didn’t skip a beat. I’ll miss the Golf R but not for too long I don’t think.
should have bought fsd? :D

Back
Top Bottom