When are you going fully electric?

Yeah if I commuted I'd have one already.

Cheapest I can get on my sal-sac is an mg4 for 337 a month.

I found our company salary sacrifice offerings to be particularly uncompetitive, especially when taking into account the impact to pension contributions as well. The only advantages over going private were the lack of credit check, and the "safety net" of being able to just give the car back if you left the company for any reason.

I got mine privately through a company which offers vehicle contracts nationwide - they have quite a large selection of 2-3 year old EVs available to lease, e.g. you could get a 2020 ID.3 for < £250/month, 3 years/30k miles with no deposit (yes, I sound like an advert :p)

Last edited:
I found our company salary sacrifice offerings to be particularly uncompetitive, especially when taking into account the impact to pension contributions as well. The only advantages over going private were the lack of credit check, and the "safety net" of being able to just give the car back if you left the company for any reason.

I got mine privately through a company which offers vehicle contracts nationwide - they have quite a large selection of 2-3 year old EVs available to lease, e.g. you could get a 2020 ID.3 for < £250/month, 3 years/30k miles with no deposit (yes, I sound like an advert :p)

Yeah I agree. I looked around a while ago. They certainly make a chunk more than the market. Plus have issues if leave job etc

You can get a decent car for that much, providing you're happy to wait for good deals to appear and not too fussy about which exact car you get.

For 300 a month I'd be fussy! I'm particularly fussy in the colour! :D

No way I'd spend 3.6k a year on a black or. White car for example

Last edited:
For 300 a month I'd be fussy! I'm particularly fussy in the colour! :D

It doesn't cost much less than that to run a car, full stop. Sit down and tot up the running costs of used cars in repairs, MOT, servicing, and depreciation - as well as higher day-to-day running costs - and it comes to a lot more than you expect.

No way I'd spend 3.6k a year on a black or. White car for example

Yeah, we're paying an extra €12/month to have our ID-3 in a beautiful blue colour rather than in the gross grey they have as standard :)

It doesn't cost much less than that to run a car, full stop. Sit down and tot up the running costs of used cars in repairs, MOT, servicing, and depreciation - as well as higher day-to-day running costs - and it comes to a lot more than you expect.

Yeah, we're paying an extra €12/month to have our ID-3 in a beautiful blue colour rather than in the gross grey they have as standard :)

There are some lush colours on some brands. I personally really like the look of the Peugeots colour and style.

I think the banger costs
1000 a year.
0 depreciation (it's so old)
Mot is like 50?
Insurance is 270 I think?
Servicing is about 200-300.. But it's very erratic. As if need something other than brakes etc it can obviously jump.
Fuel.. I dunno. I literally have no idea. I know we do about 6k miles a year. And average about 37mpg? I'm not sure.
Internet says it's about 44mpg.i week check on the little in car display.

So about 1800?

So yeah. Once huge bill may tip it to getting a lease tbh.

Last edited:
other than outliers running a really old (but reliable) banger is always going to be a big advantage over any "new" car regardless of fuel type.

the same is true of anything....... compare the absolute deepest discount on a pair of sketchers and if you are going to compare it to the price of just keeping your 5 year old Tu trainers and purely on cost there is only 1 winner.

imo (esp if you are a low milage driver so dont rack up the cost per mile savings) the only time the costs are worth thinking too much about are when you are replacing your car anyway.)

other than outliers running a really old (but reliable) banger is always going to be a big advantage over any "new" car regardless of fuel type.

That "but reliable" is doing an awful lot of work in that sentence. As cars get old lots of pieces start wearing out and needing replacement, and you never know whether you're going to get years of reliable running after that repair or whether you're going to have to burn another couple of grand on it next year.

the same is true of anything....... compare the absolute deepest discount on a pair of sketchers and if you are going to compare it to the price of just keeping your 5 year old Tu trainers and purely on cost there is only 1 winner.

imo (esp if you are a low milage driver so dont rack up the cost per mile savings) the only time the costs are worth thinking too much about are when you are replacing your car anyway.)

For me it would be if I was to get that huge one off bill.
If it's like a 2k bill.. That would cover 2 years of cheap pcp. Because of course... that 2k bill might not be the last one.

But until that happens, keep going. Also there's something liberating of having a car you don't care about on the rough rural Welsh roads

Last edited:
That "but reliable" is doing an awful lot of work in that sentence. As cars get old lots of pieces start wearing out and needing replacement, and you never know whether you're going to get years of reliable running after that repair or whether you're going to have to burn another couple of grand on it next year.
i can say it now as the car was written off, and we no longer have it... (so not tempting fate) but our 2011 pug 308 was almost immaculate condition and after teething issues on 1st getting the car (dpf replacement) the car was bullet proof. I was fully expecting to keep that car for the forseeable number of years.

it was only worth £3000 but was a really well made car. Definitely not a Friday one!.

should that time of come where we got a £2000 repair bill....... we would have sold it for parts and replaced it.

my dad has a 1994 shogun. similar story there (though it is far from immaculate!!!). he just had to replace some rear springs in it, but that "only" cost £250 or so from his local garage. it truly is in the throw away time of life however if it gets a major problem.

Last edited:
IOG is going to 7p/kwh apparently, I’ve not had an email yet but that’s a win.
indeed, and peak is going down almost 4p as well (24.4p for me but it is area dependent)... no change to standing charge.

i am waiting for the other shoe to fall..... i cant see them still giving me 15p for export if they are cutting import.

as it stands my current estimated yearly bill is £650 with 4600kwh annual consumption and that is going down to £600

but if export gets cut to say 10p kwh over all i think i will lose out. (insert worlds smallest violin image here.... i am well aware our bill is quite low compared to most, esp with 2 EVs)

Last edited:
There's this thing called currency conversion to gauge price differences?

Plus the fact that you can buy both a model 3 in China so the price can be directly compared that way too, so that makes the Model 3 over 15,000 Yuan more expensive than the SU7 over there.

I have no idea what you are on about with the brake failure thing, Tesla has a track record around the world of system failures leading to crashes, yet they're still popular.

Unfortunately will never make it to Europe or US with the upcoming tariffs

Just seen the MG EV and with that 38% tariff being applied soon , it's not looking good for MG :(

Had a test drive in the Ioniq 5N this morning, it is the first EV I have driven to raise a proper chuckle and I could barely even scratch the surface on a limited test drive, ignoring its size it’s a good fit for me, I like how it looks and its gimmicks like the sound generator, it sounds completely false when sat in it stationary, like something from grand turismo but once you are driving you just take its input as intended, it works well, as did the gear system, nice and responsive, you wouldn’t know it didn’t have a gearbox and engine, had ICE like delivery too with torque ramping up over the rev range, I liked that, handled quite well as far as I could tell, as a daily driver even in it is hardest sport plus suspension setting it rides lumps and bumps well, really is a lot to like here. Didn’t feel as heavy as its 2.3 tonne weight might suggest.

It’s not without its downsides

The UI is baffling, the salesman didn’t have a clue (I’m sure I’d figure it out eventually, after a training course ) the steering wheel obscures some.
You sit really high despite them lowering the seat for the N.
Did I mention it was big :D using something this size as personal city transport is a bit urrgh.
Zero steering feel (pretty standard it seems in modern cars ) very much a trust the grip thing
Its really strong money at £65k for what it feels like inside, it doesn’t give off a premium vibe to match.
It bings and bongs at everything, it’s going to need a big preflight checklist to turn stuff off and set it up so I can enjoy it.
It’s not going to be cheap to run EV, car indicated that I did 2miles per kw, I wasn’t even being a nutter, drive was a mix of cross town and motorway, so its not going to be a 278 miles car, be lucky to get more than half that. I don’t do many miles but this might even be low will need to see what owners get IRL.
A digital rearview mirror is not pleasant

Clearly shortages are no longer effecting things, or probably more likely no one is buying, I can be in one next week, just need to decide if I go this route and keep missus happy or go 2 seater ICE and put up with miss grumpy face :D who believes I should have 4 seats just in case.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom