When are you going fully electric?

Associate
My Volvos petty good in traffic, nothing as fancy as AR, you just get a picture a car in front is locked on or not, no false stuff on big roads, brilliant for keeping distance and speed especially in traffic where its smooth and keeps a safe distance which varies it self on speed, so you don't leave massive gaps in traffic, when traffic stops for more than 2s it decides its not going to restart without a tap of the pedal despite telling me to get a bloody move on the nanosecond the car in front moves which is annoying, give me a chance for gods sake, you could have just done it for me :D It does require an occasional brush of the wheel

The only false braking that trips the safety systems is on tight windy city streets with parked cars particularly if you are going a bit quick and your steering angle makes it think you are going to crash where auto braking can start and an alarm will sound, places where you nip in and out of spaces on a congested street which has two way traffic but one car room due to parked cars both side..

The Hyundai I drove was terrible bonging at everything on clear roads, I'd have to turn things off every journey in that car as it'd get on my nerves whereas the Volvo doesn't bother me I never disable anything as it's beeps are very rare and its soft interactions.

Soldato
@Spleen Sauce thsts basically my experience as well. Like you id probably keep my hand on the wheel even if i was allowed not to. Too many idiot drivers, debris and potholes on U.K. roads to not to.

I’ve not even managed to get to the final warning let alone a forced disengagement or a 7 day ban like some owners managed since that was implemented.

so when does your Googling say that tesla will update the radar , or resolve the parking sensors ...

It doesn’t use radar, new cars don’t even have one. Why do they need to update a non-existent radar?

Resolve what with parking sensors? It doesn’t have any of those either. It’s got a full 3D computer vision system instead.

It has its pros and cons, the vision system has a much broader range of ‘sight’, it can detect objects down the side of the car and low objects like curbs. It also doesn’t ‘lose’ narrow posts between sensors.

The downsides are that it will see something like a bump stop as the back of the parking space suggest you might like to stop as you approach it. It’s very accurate in reverse, but a bit weaker out front.

Overall I’d say the pros outweigh the cons when you use it in the real world.
but if you spend most of your time on A roads, east of the country anyway, steering around pot-holes is the self-drive capability required.

If you spent less time on the internet and more time taking a few test drives to get you own experience you might have more relevant contributions.

Probably next car or one after my PCP runs out. Feel like it is still too soon for me
Are you concerned about anything specific?

Soldato
The iX integrates navigation with the AR quite well.
You can select to have it show on the main infotainment screen or the driver display and the arrow overlays are very visible.

53794992584_d1b0fb8137_c.jpg

53795093890_d5ba306d26_c.jpg

Soldato
and the latest ipace software needs a mention.
don't rub it in! I have no idea why but my ipace has not gotten a software update for almost 12.months

what makes it worse is I can't get wireless android auto to work either but was advised that it may be fixed in the next update.

I think I have the ginger step child ipace ;)

it has the new pivo pro computer and 11 KW charging but the sensor set up on it was only used for a short while due I believe to the chip shortage. maybe that is why I am not getting the update.

that said to be clear .. I bought the car to drive it and niggles aside I love it it has to be on anyone's shortlist now imo if they are looking for a £20k-£30k 2nd hand EV

Last edited:
Soldato
don't rub it in! I have no idea why but my ipace has not gotten a software update for almost 12.months

what makes it worse is I can't get wireless android auto to work either but was advised that it may be fixed in the next update.

I think I have the ginger step child ipace ;)

it has the new pivo pro computer and 11 KW charging but the sensor set up on it was only used for a short while due I believe to the chip shortage. maybe that is why I am not getting the update.
It seems, from what has been posted a couple of times on the i-Pace facebook group, that there are a lot of MY21 cars which haven't been updated since the 4.0.1 one which came out in august last year. Mine is in the same position which is mildly annoying when you read the release notes and there are things that impact the MY21 cars.

Soldato
while lamenting why I couldn't see the end of LeMans on freeview (just quest yesterday pm)

I see Nissan made a first (any first person photos) - why hasn't tesla got into motor racing game

so seems tesla abandonned hd radar hardware option in new model Y / juniper

Caporegime
while lamenting why I couldn't see the end of LeMans on freeview (just quest yesterday pm)

I see Nissan made a first (any first person photos) - why hasn't tesla got into motor racing game

so seems tesla abandonned hd radar hardware option in new model Y / juniper
What are you on ???

Soldato
He is on about your seemingly random tangent into Le Man and Tesla. Tesla have literally zero racing pedigree and has never shown any interest in motorsport. No one has any clue how you got there.

On the other hand Nissan, who do have a history of participating in motorsport, have been shipping mass market EVs for longer than Tesla.

P.S. No Model 3 or Y have had a radar since 2022. That post makes no reference to the Model Y refresh and hardware 4.0 is already shipping in the refreshed model 3.

A refreshed model Y is just going to get the same treatment as the refreshed model 3, there is going to be nothing surprising about it when it does finally land. If anything the surprise is how long it will take them to ship it after refreshing the model 3.

That last point probably explains why they have no interest in motorsport, there is very limited bandwidth to deal with the products they already have.

Soldato
If the next lot are clowns, what were the last lot?

Back to the policy, they stated that when it was changed to 2035 that they would change it back to 2030 if they won. You may still get PHEVs to 3035 though ans you could under the original policy.

The manufacturers have already said the change to 2035 would change their 2030 plans anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
If the next lot are clowns, what were the last lot?

I consider them all clowns until one of them has the balls to change our democratic voting system to something better than FPTP, proportional representation might be nice.

Back to the policy, they stated that when it was changed to 2035 that they would change it back to 2030 if they won. You may still get PHEVs to 3035 though ans you could under the original policy.

3035 seems way too long for PHEV's IMO. :p :D

Soldato
I see the likely next bunch of clowns in power are brining back the 2030 goal for end of ICE car sales.
We'll see. The Starmatron beta AI is heavily weighted towards current public opinion versus pledged policy.

After the Brexit vote... Who knows, it could be Nigel :cry:

As for PHEV'S, why the hate? The range is just coming into the realms of where they can cover the vast majority of a persons mileage on EV alone. If that is the barrier to adoption then why does it really matter if they have an ICE that is barely ever fired up?

Last edited:
Soldato
As for PHEV'S, why the hate? The range is just coming into the realms of where they can cover the vast majority of a persons mileage on EV alone. If that is the barrier to adoption then why does it really matter if they have an ICE that is barely ever fired up?

You must have missed the joke there. ;)

We'll see. The Starmatron beta AI is heavily weighted towards current public opinion versus pledged policy.

I heard he runs on Chat GPT 2.0 so likely only has relevant data up until 2019. :p

Soldato
P.S. No Model 3 or Y have had a radar since 2022. That post makes no reference to the Model Y refresh and hardware 4.0 is already shipping in the refreshed model 3.
we know this have you not followed the hd radar debate and prewiring of existing platforms ... and, now, read the article to inform yourself of new Y

Soldato
we know this have you not followed the hd radar debate and prewiring of existing platforms ... and, now, read the article to inform yourself of new Y

There is no debate, there is no radar on 3 or Y. The ‘new’ model Y is just a cosmetic refresh, similar to Model 3. Nothing more, nothing less.

The notateslaapp is literally a rumour website which copy and pastes anything it can find which is Tesla related. It’s not a source of accurate information.

Associate
PHEVs can help with that, it's so damn hard to use the petrol in my day to day grind I was using the engine to charge my car today as the petrol has been in the tank for far too long, I just want to burn it up :D car still did 33mpg, too damn efficient...aaarrgh :D

Switching my 'van for a motorhome is definitely flipping us into BEV territory for main car now, especially as the motorhome can tow, full of win, somewhere to stay at race events now :cool: probably should have done this in the first place.:rolleyes: :D

Last edited:
Soldato
PHEVs can help with that, it's so damn hard to use the petrol in my day to day grind I was using the engine to charge my car today as the petrol has been in the tank for far too long, I just want to burn it up :D car still did 33mpg, too damn efficient...aaarrgh :D
How long is too long though? Through various reasons my MX5 ended up with the same half tank of fuel for just over a year and it still ran fine. Every year it gets left for 6 months or more and I've never had a problem. This isn't E10 admittedly but I can't imagine that would make a massive difference.

Back
Top Bottom