When are you going fully electric?

Thats very much a straw man argument, not everything is about executives breathing in their own farts (I presume you get this south park reference?).

They are putting people in BEVs because they are cheaper to operate on a fleet basis. The vehicles they will be putting on their fleet like vans are not going to be leased for 2 years and handed back, they will run them until they are sheds.

Related to that there was talk of moving all the work vans to EVs - several people said they'd leave if it happened, though the majority were OK with it. With one voice of dissent claiming they didn't want to be "driving around sitting on a bomb" - referring to the battery...

(EDIT: Even just changing the fleet from manual to automatic caused enough drama though most have come around to that now, if not converts in many cases)

Our vans are close to moon miles - over 200K - we'll be getting a new fleet end of the year but ICE, but I suspect next time it will be electric but that won't be for another 5 years.

Last edited:
The irrational hatred is idiotic. If you don’t have home charging or do 35k miles a year then fair enough. I’d love a nice petrol, but not as a daily. I do 25k miles a year and having weighed it all up, having an EV will be no hardship. Maybe 30 mins extra on my 3.5 hr trip to Scotland.

Ashamedly I used to be like that, not overall hatred for them but against them. However, it has now got to the point that a ICE powered vehicle no longer makes any sense for us and I would have to be a idiot not to consider a EV which is why after doing a couple of weeks of research I bought a top of the range 2021 Nissan Leaf last weekend. I pick it up on Saturday and I can't wait.

Ashamedly I used to be like that, not overall hatred for them but against them. However, it has now got to the point that a ICE powered vehicle no longer makes any sense for us and I would have to be a idiot not to consider a EV which is why after doing a couple of weeks of research I bought a top of the range 2021 Nissan Leaf last weekend. I pick it up on Saturday and I can't wait.

And to be fair, you havent picked a great EV when it comes to range and what not, if you can make that work then it goes to show for the vast bulk of the time, a fairly middling EV suitable for the bulk of the population.

With commercials it’s very much dependent on what you are doing with them at the moment.

If the likes of DPD and Amazon are able to make them work on a lot of routes, the excuses are starting to wear thin.

Sure if you are a service engineer that’s driving all over the country every day in a full transit, it might be an issue a the moment but that’s a bit of an edge case in reality.

Some of the service engineers I used to work with have been downsized from small vans to racked out estates, they met their needs and were far cheaper to run.

Indeed - 5th gear I think - transit ev fully loaded with pallet/washing machines didn't have great range for site work, just urban delivery tool .. it was the weight that killed range.

The less BIK tax for cars is the incentive to then recruit people who can manage the problems....
it was as much my neighbours (site engineer) comments that made me suspicious of water board motivation - and in their environment of excess profits seems reasonable to question it.
conversely surprised that other neighbour who work at mid-level merc dealers don't have ev's.

[ thought the dash on the new ford explorer ev / VW with console dash tablet looked mercedes like/elegant ... loading wise probably not functional enough for Rroff though ]

Related to that there was talk of moving all the work vans to EVs - several people said they'd leave if it happened, though the majority were OK with it. With one voice of dissent claiming they didn't want to be "driving around sitting on a bomb" - referring to the battery...

(EDIT: Even just changing the fleet from manual to automatic caused enough drama though most have come around to that now, if not converts in many cases)

Our vans are close to moon miles - over 200K - we'll be getting a new fleet end of the year but ICE, but I suspect next time it will be electric but that won't be for another 5 years.

Sounds like you work with a bunch of total pillocks to be honest. Do they read the Daily Fail as a collective and vote Reform?

EDIT: To be clear I am talking about the people who would quit their jobs based on the way a company vehicle is powered.

Last edited:
There is often politics within companies unfortunately. I'm on a work trip Billy no mates-ing it in the restaurant as usual listening to a group talking about the 'them and us' of their workplace.

Within my own workplace the cycle to work scheme was turned down with the reason given that it was a benefit that not all staff could benefit from.

Even the free Christmas lunch causes issues because half the company start half an hour earlier and it isn't fair that the other half therefore do half an hour less on that day. As has already been said... People are gonna people.

Within my own workplace the cycle to work scheme was turned down with the reason given that it was a benefit that not all staff could benefit from.

I think this drives quite a bit of the response we've had recently at work in relation to EVs - those who benefit the most, or at all, from it are likely those in higher paid positions - even with potential incentives and subsidiaries a lot of staff simply aren't going to be spending the money for an EV. But there was also quite a bit of pro-ICE sentiment - more than I'd expected.

Sounds like you work with a bunch of total pillocks to be honest. Do they read the Daily Fail as a collective and vote Reform?

EDIT: To be clear I am talking about the people who would quit their jobs based on the way a company vehicle is powered.

Most of the people I work with are alright - but when it comes to those who've come from a multi-drop or light truck driving background for some reason there tends to be a higher ratio of those who are a bit "special" than with general staff.

Last edited:
To be honest if they are the road doing more than a full battery a day I can see the issue. They aren’t gonna be in the office charging so will have to sort home charging etc. plus people don’t like change

Are there any good ev vans yet

Last edited:
Most of the people I work with are alright - but when it comes to those who've come from a multi-drop or light truck driving background for some reason there tends to be a higher ratio of those who are a bit "special" than with general staff.

It's weird how different people are, as a little while back I was chatting with an ex-colleague who does HGV mid-range driving and he's now driving a Volvo Electric HGV and he loves it and said he'd never want to go back to combustion based vehicles. Volvo apparently even did a driver training day on the truck fleet for all the drivers going though things like how regen works digital mirrors, and all the other fancy gadgets adaptive LED matrix lights, on a truck!

To be honest if they are the road doing more than a full battery a day I can see the issue. They aren’t gonna be in the office charging so will have to sort home charging etc. plus people don’t like change

Are there any good ev vans yet
A couple. Merc EQV (expensive) and the Stellantis vans are alright if your expectations are not 300 miles non-stop down the motorway daily. I think the Vavario and its equivalents are good for 150-170 miles real world.

Edit: the ID.buzz being the other obvious one. Not cheap mind.

Last edited:
surprised me too - but that wasn't what the video I linked showed ...
https://youtu.be/blyouYoe6B4?t=912
if you have any kind of non-straight road or undulations weight costs, for starters.

e: V I'll add my summary of what I think video says - you loose 1/3 of range with a tonne of sand in the back

It’s bi directional energy. Afraid I’m not as educated on this as my YouTube skills are poor, I only have a degree in aerospace engineering.

Back
Top Bottom