When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Switching my 'van for a motorhome is definitely flipping us into BEV territory for main car now, especially as the motorhome can tow, full of win, somewhere to stay at race events now :cool: probably should have done this in the first place.:rolleyes: :D
I’m almost the opposite, I’d swap the caravan out for a motorhome when they finally go full BEV. Imagine the potential of a motorhome with a >100kwh battery which is usable by the cabin space. You could easily fit >1kw of solar on the roof too.

No stinky diesel heater, induction cook tops, running full air on off grid etc.

Unfortunately, I can’t see the caravan industry pulling their head out their behinds any time soon. I mean high end caravans still ship with a 100W solar panel and specced for a led acid battery.

My tiny 2 birth could easily fit 800-1000w of solar on the roof, chuck in 2-4kwh of battery storage and boom, you’ve got 240v off grid, sure not enough to run heating but pretty much everything else you are golden.

Last edited:
Associate
I’m almost the opposite, I’d swap the caravan out for a motorhome when they finally go full BEV. Imagine the potential of a motorhome with a >100kwh battery which is usable by the cabin space. You could easily fit >1kw of solar on the roof too.

No stinky diesel heater, induction cook tops, running full air on off grid etc.

Unfortunately, I can’t see the caravan industry pulling their head out their behinds any time soon. I mean high end caravans still ship with a 100W solar panel and specced for a led acid battery.

My tiny 2 birth could easily fit 800-1000w of solar on the roof, chuck in 2-4kwh of battery storage and boom, you’ve got 240v off grid, sure not enough to run heating but pretty much everything else you are golden.

Getting there slowly, albeit a caravan and not rv.

Man of Honour
Serious question time. As I pick my Leaf up on Saturday and the grant process is slowing down the install of a home charge point I will have to use the 3 pin to type 2 charging lead that comes with the car. The question is that even if I drop to 10A is it safe to draw that much power from a standard 3 pin wall socket?

Associate
Serious question time. As I pick my Leaf up on Saturday and the grant process is slowing down the install of a home charge point I will have to use the 3 pin to type 2 charging lead that comes with the car. The question is that even if I drop to 10A is it safe to draw that much power from a standard 3 pin wall socket?
if the wiring and sockets are in good condition then pulling 10A continually isn't an issue.

Associate
Used 3 pin charging for the first 6 months on my Tesla. At first it kept dropping to 5a charge overnight as the plug was heating up. Cured this by taking the wall socket apart and cleaning up all the contacts.

Associate
You will find the 3 pin charger is only 10A anyway.

Man of Honour
Been a bit of discussion about this at work recently as some higher up the company have been sounding out ideas for supporting staff going EV (ideas for incentives and subsidiaries, etc.) and the possibilities for staff charging points at work, etc. and surprisingly the response has been overwhelmingly negative. I wasn't really expecting people to be jumping at the idea to be fair but I wasn't expecting the degree of negativity and even hostile responses to it.

Last edited:
Soldato
i guess people are gonna people at the end of the day…

Presumably the incentives were just that and there wasn’t some company wide EV mandate sat behind it.

That said, where Mrs Sk8 works will only supply EV company cars.

Soldato
etc. and surprisingly the response has been overwhelmingly negative.
what are the company proposing as vehicles to replace the likes of your pickup ? - wouldn't that be a legitimate concern if you had to have a renault electric van say.
- everything in it's place, if, you have a job function an ev harmonizes/works with

( from conversation with neighbour at Cambridge water company with ev, they have mandated evs ... kinda ironic with current furore )

Soldato
Why is it ironic Cambridge water is going EV? Please do explain.

Actually don’t. They’ll be going BEV for economic reasons, big fleets operate on the basis of spending as little money as possible to get the job done. The people that run these huge fleets of vehicles know exactly what they are doing and the cost of running both ICE and EV fleets.

The running costs of BEV is a lot lower, the upfront capital is higher but so at the tax benefits of doing so e.g. 100% writing down allowance in year one.

Overall the total cost of running the BEV will be lower, they are not going BEV because they breathe back in their own farts.

The main barrier for these businesses has only ever been there being a suitable vehicle on the market to slot into their fleet.

Soldato
Why is it ironic Cambridge water is going EV? Please do explain.
obviously green credentials in the face of the sewage&leak situation - but they also seem to have put people in more expensive cars, moving from circa £30K ice to £45K bev,
which had me questioning whether salary rises (at the expense of R&D/repairs) were financing this.

e:
Is Rroffs pickup anything to do with his job? Why have you assumed that jpaul?
we'll see what he says .. but it's an obvious point

Last edited:
Man of Honour
what are the company proposing as vehicles to replace the likes of your pickup ? - wouldn't that be a legitimate concern if you had to have a renault electric van say.
- everything in it's place, if, you have a job function an ev harmonizes/works with

( from conversation with neighbour at Cambridge water company with ev, they have mandated evs ... kinda ironic with current furore )

This is unrelated to my pickup, which is a personal preference in relation to work and a personal vehicle, or company cars. Part of a wider initiative towards supporting the community, social initiatives, the environment, etc. and looking at whether the company can help people with personal purchases and ownership (though it gets tricky with regulations and tax, etc.) but some stuff like charging points at work would be more straight forward.

What surprised me, they were just kind of floating things to get a discussion, was if anything there was almost backlash from the majority - I didn't expect a lot of people to be positively involved but I didn't expect an almost hostile negativity around the subject from more people than not. I suspect a lot comes down to cost but a surprising number seemed very attached to ICE vehicles.

Last edited:
Soldato
obviously green credentials in the face of the sewage&leak situation - but they also seem to have put people in more expensive cars, moving from circa £30K ice to £45K bev,
which had me questioning whether salary rises (at the expense of R&D/repairs) were financing this.

Thats very much a straw man argument, not everything is about executives breathing in their own farts (I presume you get this south park reference?).

They are putting people in BEVs because they are cheaper to operate on a fleet basis. The vehicles they will be putting on their fleet like vans are not going to be leased for 2 years and handed back, they will run them until they are sheds.

Back
Top Bottom