When are you going fully electric?

It’s bi directional energy.
energy used going around corners, changing momentum of that payload isn't recoverable (even on the return journey - sorry)
banking an airplane to turn you need to accelerate.

e: afterthought : wltp calculation is based on a straight virtual road !

Last edited:
energy used going around corners, changing momentum of that payload isn't recoverable (even on the return journey - sorry)

Yea momentum is the big difference. More weight means you need more energy to accelerate, stop and change direction. Weight is all bad when it comes to performance and efficiency really (and ride quality when it comes to cars).

OFC manufacturers always find a way to lie manipulate tests and results to get the on-paper stats they like, but that's another topic.

Last edited:
I’ll have to do a video of how easy it is, but they are boring videos?

Leicester Forest east is a disaster, proper error of planning.

No just heavier cars have more kinetic energy that you can recover with regen rather than heating up brake disks, it is recoverable!! Don’t get to carried away on the aerospace bit jpaul, maybe just the engineering…

1 tonne of sand would break the GVM of pretty much any car so range effect is the last of your worries.

It’s not really ‘the state of the U.K. charging network’ is it though. Leister Forest services is the exception, not the norm due to its location and national grids/their DNOs general incompetence of getting new power to the site at a reasonable cost.

They deliberately stop there all the time to get some content that people will click on. Those people clicking it are only doing so to reinforce their established anti EV views.

Just off the motorway at the next junction is instavolt, Sainsbury and Tesla with 27 CCS rapid chargers between them and the best part is you don’t have to go to a scabby welcome break service station.

It’s not really ‘the state of the U.K. charging network’ is it though. Leister Forest services is the exception, not the norm due to its location and national grids/their DNOs general incompetence of getting new power to the site at a reasonable cost.

They deliberately stop there all the time to get some content that people will click on. Those people clicking it are only doing so to reinforce their established anti EV views.

Just off the motorway at the next junction is instavolt, Sainsbury and Tesla with 27 CCS rapid chargers between them and the best part is you don’t have to go to a scabby welcome break service station.
It's definitely content creators drumming up clicks

Not sure what can be done about it though, most people who actually have an EV don't really have many issues these days finding charging but the media narrative is skewed the other way

Yea momentum is the big difference. More weight means you need more energy to accelerate, stop and change direction. Weight is all bad when it comes to performance and efficiency really (and ride quality when it comes to cars).

OFC manufacturers always find a way to lie manipulate tests and results to get the on-paper stats they like, but that's another topic.
given (I think) 1l of petrol contains the equivalent of 9kwh of electricity

taking a somewhat like for like equivalent of a petrol golf GTi Vs a VW ID3, my money would be on the ID3 being more efficient in any mixed real world driving , even with any increased weight

my pre coffee morning hangover maths tells me the ID3 would be getting (being conservative) at least equivalent of 35miles (and I suspect ID3 owners would accuse me of being overly negative ) using the same energy as a l of petrol

I don't see a golf GTi coming close

Last edited:
It's definitely content creators drumming up clicks

Not sure what can be done about it though, most people who actually have an EV don't really have many issues these days finding charging but the media narrative is skewed the other way

Clicks is money, Harry metcalfe started a few months back on anti EV stuff. So there must be bloody good money to be made. I wouldn’t be surprised bad faith actors are sponsoring some of the social media misinformation.

Clicks is money, Harry metcalfe started a few months back on anti EV stuff. So there must be bloody good money to be made. I wouldn’t be surprised bad faith actors are sponsoring some of the social media misinformation.

Can’t remember last time Rypt posted here let alone this thread yet it’s just a link to a YouTube. No personal experience either way doesn’t really offer any value.

given (I think) 1l of petrol contains the equivalent of 9kwh of electricity

taking a somewhat like for like equivalent of a petrol golf GTi Vs a VW ID3, my money would be on the ID3 being more efficient in any mixed real world driving , even with any increased weight

my pre coffee morning hangover maths tells me the ID3 would be getting (being conservative) at least equivalent of 35miles (and I suspect ID3 owners would accuse me of being overly negative ) using the same energy as a l of petrol

I don't see a golf GTi coming close
a ICE could also do 35miles on a litre if you put enough potential energy into it. (On a mountain) much like a load of energy goes into making a battery.

Real world, what matters is the cost of a kwh vs a litre.

a ICE could also do 35miles on a litre if you put enough potential energy into it. (On a mountain) much like a load of energy goes into making a battery.

Real world, what matters is the cost of a kwh vs a litre.
I was suggesting a real world usage not sticking the ice car at the top of a mountain and letting it free wheel down.

cost per kWh of energy is certainly a financial consideration but if that was all that mattered there would not be any pressure to move away from fossil fuels.

I was suggesting a real world usage not sticking the ice car at the top of a mountain and letting it free wheel down.

cost per kWh of energy is certainly a financial consideration but if that was all that mattered there would not be any pressure to move away from fossil fuels.
If the financial argument is compelling enough there would be no need for pressure at all.

Listening to a guy getting a grilling off his colleagues about his Tesla (or Telsa as one seemed to think it was called) because he'd driven them all to a conference but didn't have enough juice to get them back home. He'd planned to disappear during the Q&A session to get it charged up and they were all using this as a reason that EVs were no good.

He was outnumbered so was just laughing along but I did feel for the guy as he clearly was only trying to avoid them a stop on the way back home and the hotel (with no charging) was chosen by someone else.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom