When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Having a look and test drive of the Honda e:NY1 tomorrow. Honda garage just rang and had a nice chat about all things electric. The deal is heavily subsidised at the moment so they can make their electric sales quota. 0% apr, £3,500 dealer contribution, and 5 year care pack included (warranty, servicing, roadside, etc). Really good deal I feel. Proof will be in how it drives. However looks wise I think it is (with the upgraded alloys) a nice looking SUV. Mid 7s 0-62 and over 256 range (quoted) and 6hr to charge to 80%. We shall see!

Soldato
My general rule of thumb for range is to take the quoted figure and take off 30% and that will roughly represent how far it will go in winter on the motorway at 70 with a small buffer at the end. In summer that will likely improve to 15%.

What’s the final price on one of these?

Soldato
My general rule of thumb for range is to take the quoted figure and take off 30% and that will roughly represent how far it will go in winter on the motorway at 70 with a small buffer at the end. In summer that will likely improve to 15%.

What’s the final price on one of these?
Agree yeah I'd take 20% off that. I think if it says 256 I'd be thinking more like 200. What do you mean by the final price, the optinal final purchase price?

Soldato
Agree yeah I'd take 20% off that. I think if it says 256 I'd be thinking more like 200. What do you mean by the final price, the optinal final purchase price?

I mean however much it’s costing you for the period you are contracted to own it.

E.g. if it’s financed to buy outright, the total cost or if it’s a PCP, the cost for the X year period, balloon payment and guaranteed value.

Soldato
I mean however much it’s costing you for the period you are contracted to own it.

E.g. if it’s financed to buy outright, the total cost or if it’s a PCP, the cost for the X year period, balloon payment and guaranteed value.
This is from the finance calc on the website:
  • 47 monthly payments of £333.31
  • Interest Rate P.A. (Fixed) 0.00%
  • APR representative 0.0%
  • On the Road (OTR) Price* £41,585.00
  • Customer Deposit* £5,500.00
  • Honda Deposit Contribution* £3,500.00
  • Total deposit £9,000.00
  • Total amount of credit £32,585.00
  • Total charge for credit £0.00
  • Total Amount Payable £41,585.00
  • Optional Final Payment inclusive of Option To Purchase Fee £16,919.47
  • Excess Mileage 11.54p

Soldato
So £21k or £438/month for 4 years, I’m not sure how that stacks up in the market these days.

I had an email from Tesla the other day to say they are knocking out Model Y’s RWD for £400/month on a 3 year lease and 15k miles of free charging if you take delivery by Sunday!

Have you checked all the usual brokers etc. for better deals?

Soldato
Having a look and test drive of the Honda e:NY1 tomorrow. Honda garage just rang and had a nice chat about all things electric. The deal is heavily subsidised at the moment so they can make their electric sales quota. 0% apr, £3,500 dealer contribution, and 5 year care pack included (warranty, servicing, roadside, etc). Really good deal I feel. Proof will be in how it drives. However looks wise I think it is (with the upgraded alloys) a nice looking SUV. Mid 7s 0-62 and over 256 range (quoted) and 6hr to charge to 80%. We shall see!
They were giving away these on PCH for sub £200 per month not too long ago. I'd see what Q3 brings at the start of July tbh.

That deal is £22k over 4 years,!

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yeh they aren’t worth paying that much. Bodged EV really and my mates doesn’t seem that efficient. But he did get the mega deal with no deposit and about £200 a month

Soldato
Got my new car delivered today, so far really impressed with how relaxed and comfortable it is to drive.

Nice

@Firegod you can get the 87kWh version of this for less than the Honda.

Under £9k for 2 years, and it's a pretty high spec model.

Associate
Nice

@Firegod you can get the 87kWh version of this for less than the Honda.

Under £9k for 2 years, and it's a pretty high spec model.

Thanks, range is 330 miles according to manufacturer but I’ll report back on the real world figures when Iv tested it. I do a fair amount of motorway driving so expect this to be closer to 220 mile range when doing 70mph on the motorway.

Soldato
Not seen it mentioned yet but the Hyundai Inster looks interesting for a tiny little car. For such a small car, that rear leg room was impressive. Lets hope it brings some much needed competition to this end of the market.

As much as Jack talked about millennials, this looks ideal for your average Honda Jazz buyer, aka your nan.

Last edited:
Soldato
While I think its great there all this new technology. Love reading about it.

I think there should be some attention that most people don't need super fast charging or long range for the vast majority of their driving.

Associate
It's not about what you need but what conveniences it provides, no one wants to waste anytime charging if they can avoid it, those with wealth that have EVs and driveways are in a luxurious position but for EVs to be a good solution it has to work for everybody in every scenario, things like this will go someway to doing that. Of course more destination chargers everywhere would be more useful.

Soldato
It's not about what you need but what conveniences it provides, no one wants to waste anytime charging if they can avoid it, those with wealth that have EVs and driveways are in a luxurious position but for EVs to be a good solution it has to work for everybody in every scenario, things like this will go someway to doing that. Of course more destination chargers everywhere would be more useful.

Diesels don't work for short journeys and a 4 seater VW Up won't work for a family of 5 on driving holiday. Who wants to want to waste time driving to petrol stations either.

But every time I look at a car review none of thats mentioned. Because if you are buying a small city car really they should mention it doesn't have the 1000km range of a diesel A6 Avant, or luggage capacity.

This is why people use a 2 ton vehicle to drive to the local shop.

Last edited:
Soldato
@Journey @b0rn2sk8 well the test drive went well. Surprised by actually how spacious it was inside given the size difference compared to my dad's XC60. Boot space was the only sticking point but my dad is willing to compromise. Performance was good, no issues with over taking or the driveability for a mid 7s car. Guess that is the advantage of instant torque. Seats were comfy too (7 way adjustment on driver seat). Screens were nice and clear and easy to use. Couldn't agree the finance though with the dealer, so I came home and went to car wow. The E:NY1 Advance (so not the Elegance trim that we looked at originally) plus the nicer alloys and the obsidian blue paint..... with a smaller deposit, came back at £259 a month. Brand new, free delivery (dealership here added an additioanl £840 charge on for delivery), includes the mats for free (again the dealership here also wanted to charge for), 0% apr, and the 5 year care pack. :) The dealership here wanted £357.

That £259 a month saves my parents £71 a month (£852 a year). To fill the XC60 is also costing £70 a tank and returning about 26mpg. I think charging the E:NY1 will be ~£20. No road tax until next year.

All in all. Much happier with that. :)

PS. Thanks for the link on the Nissan, I had a look but I didn't like the look of it sadly. Not for me personally that one. Thanks though.

Back
Top Bottom