When are you going fully electric?

nam

nam

Soldato
Had a test drive in the Ioniq 5N this morning, it is the first EV I have driven to raise a proper chuckle and I could barely even scratch the surface on a limited test drive, ignoring its size it’s a good fit for me, I like how it looks and its gimmicks like the sound generator, it sounds completely false when sat in it stationary, like something from grand turismo but once you are driving you just take its input as intended, it works well, as did the gear system, nice and responsive, you wouldn’t know it didn’t have a gearbox and engine, had ICE like delivery too with torque ramping up over the rev range, I liked that, handled quite well as far as I could tell, as a daily driver even in it is hardest sport plus suspension setting it rides lumps and bumps well, really is a lot to like here. Didn’t feel as heavy as its 2.3 tonne weight might suggest.

It’s not without its downsides

The UI is baffling, the salesman didn’t have a clue (I’m sure I’d figure it out eventually, after a training course ) the steering wheel obscures some.
You sit really high despite them lowering the seat for the N.
Did I mention it was big :D using something this size as personal city transport is a bit urrgh.
Zero steering feel (pretty standard it seems in modern cars ) very much a trust the grip thing
Its really strong money at £65k for what it feels like inside, it doesn’t give off a premium vibe to match.
It bings and bongs at everything, it’s going to need a big preflight checklist to turn stuff off and set it up so I can enjoy it.
It’s not going to be cheap to run EV, car indicated that I did 2miles per kw, I wasn’t even being a nutter, drive was a mix of cross town and motorway, so its not going to be a 278 miles car, be lucky to get more than half that. I don’t do many miles but this might even be low will need to see what owners get IRL.
A digital rearview mirror is not pleasant

Clearly shortages are no longer effecting things, or probably more likely no one is buying, I can be in one next week, just need to decide if I go this route and keep missus happy or go 2 seater ICE and put up with miss grumpy face :D who believes I should have 4 seats just in case.

I wonder how many of these they have sold or are expecting too its very unique in its class

Misha loves it

Associate
FML traction battery fault has come back on my I Pace

Only had it fixed something like 6 weeks ago lol
That sucks! :( Did they replace both batteries or is yours the newer model with a single battery?

It's possible the issue is with the dc to dc converter, rather than the batteries, but if they replaced the battery and it went away then 6 weeks seems a long time before it is drained enough to be an issue. Although, I guess that depends how much you drive.

Associate
They apparently dropped it 1.6 inches, it was fine, just noticeable, when you consider I drive cars that have high seating already it was a surprise to feel it, I struggle in a few cars despite not being tall I have a long body, so things like GR Yaris I couldn't even fit. No headroom problem here its a massive SUV.

On the whole despite my little flaws list, it did feel good, had a good feel from chassis through butt, I can live with most of the flaws, I am sure once I have a few profiles set on the various buttons I'd hardly touch half of the infotainment again, I'd just use the wheel controls which feel nice, as does the steering wheel, round and not too chunky, looking at taking a position in Reading though the range might be too borderline, though of course things like ECO and Normal mode might get ~200.

Oh and the HUD was lovely, much infos much better that my Volvo. Generally the car is info overload, it is definately one for data nerds.

Last edited:
Soldato
That sucks! :( Did they replace both batteries or is yours the newer model with a single battery?

It's possible the issue is with the dc to dc converter, rather than the batteries, but if they replaced the battery and it went away then 6 weeks seems a long time before it is drained enough to be an issue. Although, I guess that depends how much you drive.
Will that be covered under warranty of the original work or will it be a case of just one of those things whilst the root cause it searched for?
Definitely a battery fault, think it is all due to the LG safety recall stuff.

Last time they replacced 2 out of 36 cells so I guess they just do another one or however many. Pain in the ass though as it takes ages to get parts etc. and you end up stuck at 72% range while you wait

Associate

Last time they replacced 2 out of 36 cells so I guess they just do another one or however many. Pain in the ass though as it takes ages to get parts etc. and you end up stuck at 72% range while you wait
Ah yeah my bad, traction battery fault is definitely the LG cells issue. I decided to answer my own question for some reason!

The one I was thinking of is when you get a warning along the lines of braking reduced, safe to drive or something like that.

I'm not sure if you can push for them to replace the whole lot if you're having so many problems with the cells, it's obviously a bad batch from LG that went into your car.

What year car is yours?

Soldato

oh sorry my mistake, must have been a blond moment. ii thought the traction battery was the 2nd 12v battery that the 1st gen ipaces had.... my bad!. at least it means that is certainly under warranty, if under 100k miles (and even if not i would not be surprised if jaguar cover it anyway due to the bad press of the LG battery issues.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ah yeah my bad, traction battery fault is definitely the LG cells issue. I decided to answer my own question for some reason!

The one I was thinking of is when you get a warning along the lines of braking reduced, safe to drive or something like that.
at least i am not the only one :)

On the bright side most places are saying Jaguar are getting back on top of all their issues of the last 18 months so fingers crossed it wont be too long a wait. One would think they must be upskilling loads of their staff ready for them to be an EV only company from next year so having cars to work on should be good experience , and their new parts distribution centre is meant to be sorted now.

Last edited:
Soldato
at least i am not the only one :)

On the bright side most places are saying Jaguar are getting back on top of all their issues of the last 18 months so fingers crossed it wont be too long a wait. One would think they must be upskilling loads of their staff ready for them to be an EV only company from next year so having cars to work on should be good experience , and their new parts distribution centre is meant to be sorted now.
Last time they did use the excuse that they were moving warehouses hence the long delay.

Bit of a crap excuse innit

Man of Honour
Does anybody know what original tyres would have been fitted to a 2021 Nissan Leaf Tekna with 17" wheels (215/50z17)? The dealership swapped three of the tyres for brand new ditchfinders and not even all the same make!! Currently there are three different brands of tyres on the car with only a single decent tyre, a Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance. I am going to change the lot before winter for something decent because I am not going to trust cheap and nasty rubbish on a Leaf in poor weather. If they told me it needed three new tyres I would have paid the extra for some decent ones. My fault for not checking when I did the test drive I suppose. I presume I need XL rated tyres for the stronger sidewalls due to the weight of the car?

Associate
Might not be the most efficient tyre cross climate, but a good tyre all year around probably more useful for some one up in Scotloand though than me down South :D

regarding XL etc, just check the manual, it will tell you what the min load rating you need, then just pick tyres based on what you need, decent place for reviews is tyrereviews

Associate
My bluelink app told me my boot was open last night, I then forget to check it, and this morning my car is dead, I think the v12 battery drained trying to lock the boot overnight. I bought a jump start v12 battery for this very scenario but then put that in the boot.. which doesn't currently open! So I may buy another v12 jump start battery on the way home, open/close the boot and then the car should just work after that and charge the v12 back up again. Or open the front door, some how climb over and bring the back seat down, open the boot from the inside and get the battery I need that way.

I don't think this is an EV issue, the only difference is I don't need to drive the car anywhere to charge it, it should just charge the v12 battery backup once the boot it shut correctly.

Update: climbed over seats and used the manual release to open the boot. I think the car would have been fine eventually but I used the jump start battery to get the car on again, it complained about low v12 battery. Put it in utility mode for few minutes as this doesn't use the v12. All seemed fine after about 10 mins.

Last edited:
Soldato
Unfortunately will never make it to Europe or US with the upcoming tariffs

Just seen the MG EV and with that 38% tariff being applied soon , it's not looking good for MG :(

That 38% was just the EU shouting out a figure to get China around the table. There may well be increased tariffs but I'll be amazed if its even close to 38%.

nam

nam

Soldato
That 38% was just the EU shouting out a figure to get China around the table. There may well be increased tariffs but I'll be amazed if its even close to 38%.
SAIC have been identified as the largest MFG that is state supported. I don't see anything changing there. It will all get probably a lot worse when Trump arrives

Soldato
SAIC have been identified as the largest MFG that is state supported. I don't see anything changing there. It will all get probably a lot worse when Trump arrives

Yup, still can't see the EU sticking to a 38% tariff for them in addition to the existing 10%.

BMW, Mercedes, VW et al sell heavily into China as luxury brands so they would be putting that at risk in a tit-for-tat trade war.

Time will tell though of course.

Back
Top Bottom