When are you going fully electric?

Why did you write off the idea of a Model Y? I know Musk is an utter melon, but that asides it ticks a lot of boxes.
The id7 has a 440mile range. I do a lot of 100 mile - drive around on site - drive back 100 mile trips. I think the Y I saw tapped out at 340mile.

Also the boot glass curves a bit hardcore so it isn't as practical as a full size estate.

The id7 has a 440mile range. I do a lot of 100 mile - drive around on site - drive back 100 mile trips. I think the Y I saw tapped out at 340mile.

Also the boot glass curves a bit hardcore so it isn't as practical as a full size estate.
I would check some range test for both as that 440 miles might turn out to be on par with Tesla in real world.

Last edited:

Go and test drive one, ask if you can have it overnight (Tesla will often let you do this) and use it as a family car for a day. The boot is massive, especially with the under-boot storage and the frunk.

The ID7's range claims are utter fantasy, same as all of VW's range claims. I'd much rather have the Tesla supercharging network available in any case.

EDIT: Tesla are doing overnight test drives, called 'Easy Summer with Tesla': https://www.tesla.com/en_gb/events

Last edited:
Go and test drive one, ask if you can have it overnight (Tesla will often let you do this) and use it as a family car for a day. The boot is massive, especially with the under-boot storage and the frunk.

The ID7's range claims are utter fantasy, same as all of VW's range claims. I'd much rather have the Tesla supercharging network available in any case.

EDIT: Tesla are doing overnight test drives, called 'Easy Summer with Tesla': https://www.tesla.com/en_gb/events

Considering more and more superchargers are now open to non Tesla’s, it makes no sense to limit yourself to a Tesla just for the network.

Just driven across france and every few miles there are multiple chargers on the toll roads. Most I saw were fastest as well, don't think I would worry about the trip. There were a few dotted around where I was staying as well.

Model Y long range shouldn't have any issues with 100 miles there and back trips with some milage in the middle.

However I think @dlockers said the Y was more expensive on SS than an ID/7. The ID/7 will go further, on a charge, I don't think there is any debate about that and had a bigger boot in estate guise so I can see the attraction.

Last edited:
Considering more and more superchargers are now open to non Tesla’s, it makes no sense to limit yourself to a Tesla just for the network.
Until the vast majority are open to non-Tesla's I think you'd be daft not to consider it as part of the overall deal you're getting.

Charging aside, until VW sort their abysmal infotainment out that would rule one out for me. That and the stupid capacitive buttons on the steering wheel.

Until the vast majority are open to non-Tesla's I think you'd be daft not to consider it as part of the overall deal you're getting.
There is a bit of a nuance in the with the whole open to all thing.

The vast majority of the closed ones are the big hubs at MSA's, the vast majority of the open ones are those off motorway chargers at hotels, retail parks etc. Given they are still installing V3's at MSA's, I can't see them being opened up any time soon.

Last edited:

Charging aside, until VW sort their abysmal infotainment out that would rule one out for me. That and the stupid capacitive buttons on the steering wheel.

I spent 600 miles in the ID7 with the V5 software and about the same in the enyaq with v3.7. The New software is better, but the old one wasnt as bad as the journos made it out to be, you get used to it very quickly. Just like you do with Tesla's quirks.

Last edited:
I spent 600 miles in the ID7 with the V5 software and about the same in the enyaq with v3.7. The New software is better, but the old one wasnt as bad as the journos made it out to be, you get used to it very quickly. Just like you do with Tesla's quirks.
In fairness I’m basing it off the ID4 we had for two weeks earlier this year. The software was truly abysmal. But at least the auto wipers worked properly, unlike my Tesla :D

Tempted by the polestar 2, but can't help but think they aren't as premium as their cost.
Need to go see one and have a look inside and see.
What are people's thoughts?

Some would say I’ve had an absolute stinker. Stressed to the back nines, picked up a 2021 Tesla M3LR 25k miles with Enhanced AP and let’s just say I’d mayaswell have a brick on the drive, got it home had a little play about pressed the valet mode button and bam need a PIN number to do virtually anything and it can’t be unlocked without the v5. With my luck at the minute I don’t know whether to laugh or cry. It was a great drive home atleast.

Last edited:
I hope it's better than the trash VW golf I rented in Portugal. Going to see if I can check one out.

Tempted by the polestar 2, but can't help but think they aren't as premium as their cost.
Need to go see one and have a look inside and see.
What are people's thoughts?

They would appear to be a bit of a bargain used (Long Range Dual Motor Plus Pilot for around £25k) and for a while were effectively the defacto choice for anyone who wanted a decent EV but didn't want Tesla - there's a bit more choice around now but I think the Polestar 2 still holds up well.

Yeah, the long range dual motor was what I was looking at. Seems not too bad for around £25k and great 0-60mph and not a Tesla, which are so boring inside.
Just I've seen Volvo v90 t8's which seem a lot more luxurious, similar money and no much slower.

The main downside of a Polestar 2 is that they are small on the inside for an EV as its based on an ICE Volvo but otherwise they are a nice car.

One thing to watch out is the pre-facelift single motor version is front wheel drive, the facelift version is RWD. The face lift has a bigger battery and is a lot more efficient so has a lot more range.

Read the inside isn't massive and I'm 6'4, so it might be an instant no go anyway.
Kids might not fit behind me, assume my seat would need to be almost all the way bac.

hatchback on the polestar nonetheless gives more versatility than model3 - I need bikes or diy stuff in the back regularly, if the knee space is only the same as my current 3er no issue.
ID7 will solve these problems and access to a nationwide/cheaper dealer network - if, Id3 insurance quotes are anything to go by compared to lol polestar and tesla ones.

Becoming a member of tesla supercharger club looks invaluable though to get cheaper/faster charging; guess that doesn't give you access to europe SC's too ?

Back
Top Bottom