When are you going fully electric?

What’s the power difference between the two.?

That's a bit like asking what's the power difference between a BMW 3 series and an Audi A4 - there's various models and revisions of each and they change with age of the car too but there's not really any wild overall difference between them.

The 'base models' (single motor, standard range) are around 250-270bhp with claimed 0-60s around 6s, each with a few different options above that, topping out around 460-470bhp for the respective 'Performance' variants of each, though the Tesla claims a significantly quicker 0-60 of 2.9s compared to the Polestar 2 at 4s.

part of the insurance cost is still the repair cost - just looked - an id7 single would be £800 only twice my 320 or an ID3, and standard mod 3 £1K.

Back to drw's ID3 400mile trip .. what's the best site to identify cheap charging locations
just looking at below one , if you are a tesla member and have a sc nearby you're circa 40p kwh with them and 80 for many others,
so you'd only need to be buying ~20kwh a month to justify the £90/pa fee, or could just take it in the months you are planning trips

It doesn’t really matter because you are going to charge where it’s most convenient in the real world, particularly you do 90% of your charging at home.

It’s just an insignificant cost in the grand scheme of things and there generally isn’t enough competition in a given local area to ‘shop around’ anyway.

It’s not worth driving out of your way to save a few p/kwh because it’s just not worth your time and you’ll spend money driving to the cheaper charger.

Last edited:
Think I am going to check out the ID7 tomorrow. One question I have - no judgement please - when I do the 100 miles up the M1, I normally stick cruise on a speedo-guided 85. Will that turn the ID7 range into dust?

Edit: Model Y is 1100 pre-tax. Fully loaded ID7 Tourer with all options is 894 pre-tax.

Last edited:
Think I am going to check out the ID7 tomorrow. One question I have - no judgement please - when I do the 100 miles up the M1, I normally stick cruise on a speedo-guided 85. Will that turn the ID7 range into dust?

Edit: Model Y is 1100 pre-tax. Fully loaded ID7 Tourer with all options is 894 pre-tax.
Short answer - yes.

For pretty much any EV, sitting at 85mph is going to tank the range compared to 75mph or 70mph.

That said, it'll probably still manage 100+local+100 trips. If it doesn't, you'll just have to slow down a bit and take 5-10 minutes longer :p

Cheers chaps. It isn't something I do to cause an issue. M1 is just a nightmare for middle lane drivers doing <60. Best to just stick ahead of the pack.

What least scheme is that?

I ran the numbers on my last 10 work trips today using ABRP and compared the cost to my current car. Had I known living the middle management dream was this thrilling I don't think my younger self could have contained the excitement. Anyway, it was sort of interesting.

Based on starting with a 100% battery in a big battery Enyaq charged on an off peak tariff the trips ranged between £23 cheaper and £51 more expensive. That expensive trip was over 1100 miles so not really the norm! Generally it was score one for the EV from the company side.

Then I compared to the flawed HMRC flat 8p/mile and they range between £9.80 cheaper and £119 more expensive. Last three trips I've done averaged to a net cost to the employee of £27... Each.

I probably should have done this bit of research before putting my car suggestions to the boss and giving a solid case for going full EV.

I'll have to row back on it and say that suitability is assuming business miles are covered at cost using an AllStar Chargepass card. It's a bit more faff though so may get some push back.

Last edited:
It makes more sense to pay back personal miles with a BEV if you actually use it for work regularly.

All Star have this on lockdown now, they have a system where they hook into your charger and your energy supplier and pay for your EV fuel directly to your supplier. They also give you a RFID that works with most public chargers.

I ran the numbers on my last 10 work trips today using ABRP and compared the cost to my current car. Had I known living the middle management dream was this thrilling I don't think my younger self could have contained the excitement. Anyway, it was sort of interesting.

Based on starting with a 100% battery in a big battery Enyaq charged on an off peak tariff the trips ranged between £23 cheaper and £51 more expensive. That expensive trip was over 1100 miles so not really the norm! Generally it was score one for the EV from the company side.

Then I compared to the flawed HMRC flat 8p/mile and they range between £9.80 cheaper and £119 more expensive. Last three trips I've done averaged to a net cost to the employee of £27... Each.

I probably should have done this bit of research before putting my car suggestions to the boss and giving a solid case for going full EV.

I'll have to row back on it and say that suitability is assuming business miles are covered at cost using an AllStar Chargepass card. It's a bit more faff though so may get some push back.

I’m quite proud of my spreadsheets when it comes to all things company cars and mileage.

Our company is basically covering all public charging costs for business trips so. Have you looked if the Tesla or Ionity subs would bring the costs down. When I initially did my sums, I was going to be out of pocket on 2 regular trips, but if I looked at it over all, it was a net gain.

Back
Top Bottom